Automatic Update - is this Gingerbread?

alidombrowski

Reaction score
My phone started downloading an update without my prompting it to do so. There's no way for me to cancel it, and it's taking HOURS to download. It's been going for at least 6 hours now, and it's not even half way done. I don't know what my phone is doing, and I'm getting really aggravated. Is it this Gingerbread automatically downloading on my phone?

thesoldier

Reaction score
It should have prompted you to either download the update now or later. You probably didn't read clearly and hit download now. If your phone was stock then its most likely downloading GB.

Edit: It shouldn't have done anything without prompting you, but its possible. Also, the update is like 103mb or so, meaning over 3g that would take a significant amount of time.
Sent from my D2G running HeXen

Last edited:

leobg

Reaction score
Yes, most likely you're pulling GB. Update is 106MB, quite of a download.

Sent from my XT860 using Tapatalk

OP
A

alidombrowski

Reaction score
Okay thanks! I didn't get any prompt to download it - it started downloading while I was asleep.
Just glad to know that it's more than likely something normal :)

473x15

Reaction score
im in ny and last night i went back to stock and till now im still waiting :( any ideas when i gonna hit ny.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

lwags67

Reaction score
We are in Houston. Son-in-law got his Friday night. Daughter still does not have hers, nor me nor my wife. Just waiting. Hit him overnight. He knew nothing about this so a surprise. We just sit and wait.

nivek9238

Reaction score
I'm hearing so many different things about this update so far. My friend at work has the droid 2, and they seemed to get their roll out two days after the droid 2 soak test had started. On the other hand our soak test also lasted two days, and it supposedly went well from what ive read, but i heard our roll out wasnt supposed to happen untill after labor day (US holiday), from what Matt the forum manager, on the motorola support forum said in a post, but people have reported getting the update.

Byakushiki

Reaction score
Those people are probably part of the unwitting thousands who got the soak (it's detailed in the soak description, many people who didn't sign up for it will also get it anyways). Either that or some places had an early roll out.

FmE4ymbA

Reaction score
It should have prompted you to either download the update now or later. You probably didn't read clearly and hit download now.
I read clearly on my phone the last few times it offered to download. I declined for now. But there was a timer, and the dialog indicated it would download it anyway if I did not respond. Today this timer went off while I wasn't looking, and I went through two batteries to download this garbage. If I was traveling I could have gotten lost without access to maps or gps. It is absolutely criminal to force this on people. I am concerned that this update will interfere with my ability to root and rom my phone, which I realistically may never do, but I'd rather not preclude it just to get gingerbread when Froyo is working just fine right now.

fiveball02

Reaction score
Gingerbread has already been rooted and there is also roms being made for it.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Kimo91

Reaction score
Now is this the official release of GB for the D2G or just the D2 only?

if its not Boeing, I'm not going!!! TEAM BOEING SOUTH CAROLINA ROCKS!!!!!!

FmE4ymbA

Reaction score
Applying update now.... holding breath.... The 'M' bootsplash is now red. The status bar is now blue. 'Your phone has been upgraded to 4.5.607.en.US version'. Android version 2.3.3.

Last edited: