automatic updates

AquariumMermaid

Reaction score
How do I turn off this feature? My Droid automatically downloads and installs updates without asking me; it's very inconvenient and the updates invariably
remove some of my personal settings. Thanks to anyone who can assist me.

you're talking about system updates? if you are rooted, download titanium backup from the market and freeze the updater
if you mean app updates, just uncheck update automatically for all your apps in the market

I'm talking about System updates; I would like to choose my own time to install, if I even want them at all. I can not find a setting to control this.

I'm talking about System updates; I would like to choose my own time to install, if I even want them at all. I can not find a setting to control this.

like i said, if you're rooted you can freeze the updater, and if not you should at least be able to select "cancel" or something for the system update. what system version are you running? settings>about phone

System 4.5.605 MB810.Verizon.en.US My phone is the Droid X. I am NOT tech savvy at all. Thanks

If the update downloads, use Root Explorer to remove it from /cache. Like was said you must be rooted.

I have no idea how to "freeze" and "cancel" is not ever an option when trying to stop the automatics. :(

System 4.5.605 MB810.Verizon.en.US My phone is the Droid X. I am NOT tech savvy at all. Thanks

you are on the most recent system version, so at the very least you shouldn't have to worry about another update soon. to prevent it from happening at all, you must be rooted. if you want to go back to the old version, use this guide: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-rooted-help/100038-complete-droid-x-sbf-flashing-guide.html

warning: you will lose ALL of your settings, apps, contacts, etc if you do that

thanks

Think I'll just tough it out until I upgrade later; next year. I'll have it blocked and non-rooted! Happy Halloween!

Think I'll just tough it out until I upgrade later; next year. I'll have it blocked and non-rooted! Happy Halloween!

with the update being in the cache... you can reboot into recovery... and wipe the cache partition... you don't have to be rooted to do that

automatic downloads from Apps

I'm stilling fooling with this automatic update/download business. I do not have an option to uncheck
a feature or option. All I can do with the apps is "force stop", then "uninstall the download". That only
works until the next round of automatic downloads comes my way, then the same routine over again.

Might just have to find a new home for this unruly creature :icon_evil:

Are you talking about the Android Market app? Do you mean that you don't have an option to stop automatic updates? Each app should have a checkbox so you can disable it there.

The two apps that keep updating/downloading are: Books and My Verizon Mobile. Neither of these have I used nor do I want! I order any "books" from
my Kindle account on my computer, not my Droid. I repeat, there is not option to check or un-check anything with these two items.

Go to the market and hit the menu button. Select My Apps. Find the Books and select it. The uncheck "Allow Automatic Updates." Do the same thing for My Verizon. That should fix it. :icon_ banana:

I have gone to the Market, found the two offending apps, clicked on them; and I can ONLY either Force stop, then uninstall updates or clear cache.T

There is no option to un-check anything. The market icon is a white brief case with a green droid in the bottom right corner. Is there by chance
another Market option? I am NOT a techie, in case you hadn't noticed. I use my phone to make/receive calls and to text and email.

Back