At The Dentist Office

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I

i like to talk to people when i see that they have a droid.. unless of course i see that is is bedazzled and blinged, then i know it's not worth my time.

:icon_eek: that is going againt the droid commercials:

[video=youtube;w83UQkiuNZQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w83UQkiuNZQ]YouTube - DROID "Pretty" Commercial: Dissing iPhone as "Digitally Clueless" [HQ][/video]

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The guys jaw hit the floor " I had no idea they had a registry" he said. I walked over to the manager and told him how "awesome" his tech guy was.... I dont think he works there anymore

I can appreciate how many phones they have, but most are cookie cutter and don't require much.

The early adopters might be willing to search forums and spend significant time finding their answers. The mass buyers won't do that and will be turned off by the knowledge of the sales and service staff. On the other hand, maybe VZW figures as more purchase the phone, their sales and service staff will grow into it.

But here we are nearly 4 months since launch and the knowledge still seems lacking. I called the tech line because I wasn't happy with my reception. She really had no clue and recommended I take it into the store. Asked her about the Vocode (which I picked up on another forum) and I think she pretended not to hear me.

I think ultimately the success of android/Droid is going to depend on how well the masses are serviced. It's not as user friendly as the IPhone - which has its advantages - but in order to compete with IPhone the support is going to need to improve.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The guys jaw hit the floor " I had no idea they had a registry" he said. I walked over to the manager and told him how "awesome" his tech guy was.... I dont think he works there anymore

I can appreciate how many phones they have, but most are cookie cutter and don't require much.

The early adopters might be willing to search forums and spend significant time finding their answers. The mass buyers won't do that and will be turned off by the knowledge of the sales and service staff. On the other hand, maybe VZW figures as more purchase the phone, their sales and service staff will grow into it.

But here we are nearly 4 months since launch and the knowledge still seems lacking. I called the tech line because I wasn't happy with my reception. She really had no clue and recommended I take it into the store. Asked her about the Vocode (which I picked up on another forum) and I think she pretended not to hear me.

I think ultimately the success of android/Droid is going to depend on how well the masses are serviced. It's not as user friendly as the IPhone - which has its advantages - but in order to compete with IPhone the support is going to need to improve.

To be fair the iphone started out with iphone users teaching othe iphone users. Yeah its simple so there is not much to teach but the iphone did not get that big and into grandmas hands until 3rd generation. The droid is in generation one and it is going through the "grassroots" effort of teaching each other.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Every day I notice the same questions from new users and that they are unable to get a vzw rep to really help them. Forums like this needs to be plastered on the droid google page so new users don't give up before having the opportunity to truly learn about the device.

Now this is dumb: I thought VZW reps used to get free phones to try so they can, you know, HELP customers. Asked the guy in the store I bought from (a large store), and he said only two people had them, and they have to pay out of pocket (at cost maybe not a big deal, but the data plans could be a dealbreaker for some).

How in the heck do you sell a phone like this and support your customers without using it on a daily basis? I've spent HOURS tweaking mine and there seems to be a recurring trend that when you ask a VZW rep a question about the Droid they usually can't provide the right answer. Your big seller and flagship phone and only 2 sales reps in the store own one!?!

Ahh, the misconceptions about VZW reps. When I worked there, we had a couple of perks with the employee plans which were nice. But, as for the phones, I could upgrade every 10 months with the 2 year contract price. You had to order from the employee dedicated number or from InfoManager at work. If there was a problem with the phone, you couldn't do a FRU (or certified like new phone) at a store, you had to call the employee line to get it sent out to you. When a new phone comes out, like the Storm for example in November 2008, it was not until after the Christmas holiday season that employees could order a Storm on their eligible line. I got around that by adding a secondary line on my elderly parent's family share plan, moving the phone over to my employee line and paying the $9.99 plus tax on their account. So, it's not how you would envision for employees.

As for Hook - I learned some things about you today. :) Haircuts and cheap wine, drug usage and massage parlors.

I work with 2 other people that got Droids because of me. I work for an insurance company so I guess since they know I spent almost 3 years at VZW, I'm their resident expert when something is wrong with their phones (AT&T, Sprint, T-M or VZW related). Anyway, I've suggested many times they read DF to really learn how to use their Droid to its fullest. I show them things I can do and they're amazed, but still won't try to install these things. Google Earth was the latest thing I showed them, but got that deer in the headlight look when I mentioned about mounting the Droid to their computer, putting the .apk file on the root of their SD card and downloading and using Astro.

I've come to the conclusion that we're a minority and most of the million or so Droid users just know enough about it to get by.

knotbeerdan

Reaction score
You really think the droid will get passed gen. 1? I think whth the nexus 1 coming out and the hardware getting better and better they will just make another phone like the droid and call it something completely different. I have noticed that the omnia and storm got a 2nd generation but it just doesn't happen that often anymore it seems.

As for the iphone.... Well the nice thing about VZW and the new every two is that when a better device does come out we have the ability to renew our phones every two years. When they buy the iphone they buy it with no option to upgrade at any time. (my brother just got one around christmas time) So in that respect I think we are lucky. If/When we get the update then thats fine. If not I'll get an update in two years. :icon_ owned:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You really think the droid will get passed gen. 1? I think whth the nexus 1 coming out and the hardware getting better and better they will just make another phone like the droid and call it something completely different. I have noticed that the omnia and storm got a 2nd generation but it just doesn't happen that often anymore it seems.

As for the iphone.... Well the nice thing about VZW and the new every two is that when a better device does come out we have the ability to renew our phones every two years. When they buy the iphone they buy it with no option to upgrade at any time. (my brother just got one around christmas time) So in that respect I think we are lucky. If/When we get the update then thats fine. If not I'll get an update in two years. :icon_ owned:

ATT has something similar, I was with att. Not new every 2 though. And vzw seems to lock you into it where you almost have to waut 2 yrs to get a new phone (end of contract).

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

ATT has something similar, I was with att. Not new every 2 though. And vzw seems to lock you into it where you almost have to waut 2 yrs to get a new phone (end of contract).
If you signed a 2 year agreement with your Droid, you can upgrade every 20 months.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
ATT has the new every two but my brother did not have the option since he was buying the iphone.

True, but that has to do with apple. Apple is the reason I dropped att; they have the attitude that play by their rules or do not play at all. If I had a problem with any other phone with att they could replace/ fix it. But the iphone according to apple does not have problems that cant be fixed by updating it or factory reset. Other then that any problem was because of user error. But i ranted on apple care enough already on this forum.

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[
As for Hook - I learned some things about you today. :) Haircuts and cheap wine, drug usage and massage parlors.

Ok, I'll admit to the nitrous which I use a whole 3 times a year but I clearly stated I don't drink nor do I do drugs. And where the massage parlor thing came in, I'm really clueless.

Of course there was that trip I took on my Kawasaki up to Reno and my visit to the Mustang Ranch around 1990. That wasn't no massage parlor, let me tell you.:D

nolanandy

Reaction score
This forum has really been a gift and a curse in this regard. Had I not found it, I would have my Droid and be incredibly pleased with it (as I was for the first few days before I found this place) but also probably a little annoyed with a few certain things I couldn't figure out how to make it do. I'd also not have half the excellent apps I have or have it set up nearly perfectly to my liking, as I do now. Basically, my phone would be easily getting the job done but not operating at anywhere near it's true potential. The curse being, without the board, I never would have even thought about not accepting an update, I wouldn't have all these arguments with myself about rooting, O/Cing, etc, there would be less talk of different ROMs and themes and widgets and shortcuts running through my mind, and I would probably get more accomplished with my days. I would say it would be incredibly easy for someone to buy the phone and never tap in to even half the things it can do and end up being only moderately satisfied, to possibly even not satisfied at all with it.

Totally agree!!!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
As I read the motorola facebook page there are people who really do not know their device. I had to name drop droidforum there. Its pathetic to see grown men grovelling on their knees asking motorola for crumbs and an update when they can come here and learn more.