ASUS Eee Pad Transformer with Android 3.1 Supports Xbox360 and PS3 Controllers

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
transformergame-sg.jpg

Gaming on your ASUS Eee Pad Transformer just got even better. Apparently, the newest update to Android Honeycomb, version 3.1, gives the tablet the ability to use a plugged in Playstation3 or Xbox360 controller. Couple this with the HDMI output on the tablet to output to your home TV screen, and you have a recipe for some serious fun.

I can envision a future where tablets are the dominate gaming console. With their ease of portability, as their graphics technology and multi-player inter-connectivity continue to improve, it will make it much easier to have a LAN party for gaming with a large group, or to just casually pop out your device to game with a buddy. What do you guys think?

Source: AndroidTablets.net and TransformerForums via SlashGear

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Wow....Asus is just killing it.

I hope it's a solid piece of tech because I want them to succeed. They seem to be the only truly cutting-edge mfr out there right now with everyone else trying to be a little different while being afraid to be too different.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Dang. I want a Transformer even more now. I always wanted this to work on the G Tablet that I had for awhile.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I absolutely love my Transformer. I hooked my ps3 controller up the other day just to try it out. It was pretty cool.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I think if tablets were to take over in the gaming industry, you'd have to design games that work only with controllers. Not only that, but mobile games aren't as 'engrossing' as console/PC games are. I do however see them as a 'family gaming device'. Family time would take on a whole new take.

caboyzcoti

Reaction score
i think you can get it working but i dont have a ps3 or 360 to try it out. or the otg cable for my xoom anyways for that matter lol but i do have a wiimote classic controller that works perfect out of the box. im gonna hit my friend with a ps3 up and best buy tho cause i want that otg cable regardless.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Oh great! That just freaking great! Now I'll never get any work done!

TheBawse

Reaction score
Works on my Xoom as well

This is the USB host mode feature included with 3.1 and not unique to Asus

XMasterMoronX

Reaction score
Works on my Xoom as well

well either way... This truly changes everything. Unlike other companies who change the device to make it look boxxier (yeah) and give it a reception problem.

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Works on my Xoom as well

Agreed.
Its nothing special to the Transformer. It's a Honeycomb 3.1 option. I tried it on my Xoom 2 weeks ago and it worked flawlessly.
Certainly not a newsworthy note specifically for the Transformer. I'm not knocking the device. I'm sure its a great piece of hardware. But why wasn't this mentioned when 3.1 came out for the XOOM?? No Moto love?

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
A tablet will never replace a gaming console...yea it might be more portable but come on...its a 10.1 inch screen and the display under sun wont be very good...also there's way better games on consoles

Sent from my DROID2

darkmatter

Reaction score
Nintendo seems to think tablets and consoles will work, if current rumors are true.

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
A tablet will never replace a gaming console...yea it might be more portable but come on...its a 10.1 inch screen and the display under sun wont be very good...also there's way better games on consoles

Sent from my DROID2

Exactly how often do you play your XBox360/PS3 outside in the sun? Screen size is irrelevant when you can plug it into your TV. Your tablet may have a 10.1" screen but your XBox360/PS3 has no screen whatsoever.

That being said, I don't think tablets will "replace" consoles for a while until you can get a tablet with 200 gigs of memory (so we're talking what, late 2012 at this rate?) and quad-cores or whatever comes after them.

Remember that Sony, Microsoft, et al, make no money selling the console, sometimes selling them at losses. They make their money on the peripherals and software. I see no logical reason why Microsoft or Sony wouldn't love to give up making consoles and focus entirely on software and peripherals that work on a multitude of devices rather than only their proprietary system. It seems to me they'd make more sales.