Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Asurion No Longer Replacing DROIDs for DROIDs, Production Stopped by Motorola

On 07.22.10, In News, by Kellex

We’ve heard rumors that the original Droid is nearing “end of life” status, but according to cell phone insurance machine Asurion, it’s already there. You see, we’ve received a handful of emails from frustrated readers who attempted to make claims on broken Droids, but were told that it is no longer in production by Motorola and they would have to settle for something else. (See screenshot above.)

The situation is this. Droid owners are paying anywhere from $6 to $8 per month for Asurion insurance in order to protect an investment they made knowing that if something tragic were to happen, they would be covered and a replacement would be on hand. Oh let’s not forget that a steep deductible is also required when filing your claim, although better than paying full price for a new device, it is still nothing to snicker at.

So what’s happening right now? Since the D1 is “no longer in production” claimees are left with 3 options that are essentially a slap to the face. Your choices are the Droid Eris, Motorola Devour or LG Ally. Yes, instead of another Droid you can have MotoBlur and Android 1.6.

Lesson of the day? Be careful with those D1 devices! If you expect to file a claim to receive a replacement, it’s not happening.

droid-life.com

cpjr

Reaction score
That doesnt make sense to me....thought you received a refurbished droid? Should be a happy little circle of life....

Droid -> broken droid -> broken droid gets fixed/refurbed -> handed out for insurance claims

JP 5.56

Reaction score
I'm considering dropping my coverage because of this. I wont pay a $90 deductible for a lesser product. If I'm going to pay anything out of pocket it'll be for the same thing or better.

Buying a phone from Ebay might be the way to go.

rgn2000

Reaction score
Another reason to never buy the insurance. Unless you lose or break your phone every year it does not add up to being worth it over the longrun.

They should be replacing with D2's once they become available. They should not be allowed to give something less. The contract states someting simlilar.

You can buy a reconditioned Eris for $162 right now. Why pay $100 a year and have a $89 deductable when you are going to be treated like this?

Reaction score
That doesnt make sense to me....thought you received a refurbished droid? Should be a happy little circle of life....

Droid -> broken droid -> broken droid gets fixed/refurbed -> handed out for insurance claims

thats how it is for like everyother phone back in the day of my chocolate 1 many things went wrong many times they gave me the refurbed phone then once 2 came out i got the 2ed one for free im glad i didnt buy the plan

ChugIt

Reaction score
My friend Holly just got a replacement Droid yesterday as a matter of fact. She missed the FedEx guy and my wife and I had to take her to the facility to get it yesterday evening. She got a Droid as a replacement for her Droid (touch screen was extremely messed up on her original).

Last edited:

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
thanks for reminding me to cancel my insurance. i thought in november it was a good move, but as it is for 99% of people, phone insurance is worthless

Reaction score
Talk about kicking you when you are down. How are those phones similar? Sure they have Android running and they make phone calls but that's about all the similarity I see. Why not replace a 1 with a 2 (when available)?

b-jammin21

Reaction score
This is B.S. When I filed my claim recently, they told me I would have to take either a Motorola Devour or some crap Audiovox flip phone. ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!?!

So this must apparently be the situation:

Millions of people own the Droid. Let's say hundreds of thousands of them have insurance to protect their DROID. Let's say tens of thousands actually need to file a claim (for whatever reason).

Are they seriously about to deny a Droid and downgrade tens of thousands of people? This is ridiculous...

Insurance should protect an investment, not give you something that THEY think is "of like quality" (exactly what they told me).

Oh, and btw, the Droid Incredible and Droid X is not "like quality." Only worse phones are "of like quality."

stevewm

Reaction score
I admin the cellphones where I work... I just ran into this with the owners son's Droid. They where only offering to replace it with the Motorola Devour.

I called and got really ****ty with them on the phone. The woman stood her ground and said she saw nothing wrong with the offer. Just kept repeating "but sir, its an Android phone, its the same thing!" Convincing her otherwise was not going to happen.

I called VZ and got the user a new Droid X for the same price as the Asurion deductible by using one of other line's upgrade credits. (We have around 70 lines, there are always update credits to use :)) I'm actually considering just dropping the insurance.

jason6g

Reaction score
yup this is bs...

lets say something does happen to your d1 and they give you a d2 - now what are you going to do to customize it back to where it was?? i doubt any android phone will have half the following of the d1 as far as roms and other fun upgrades. i wouldnt snub a d2 by any means, even an incredible or an X, but like others have said, trading a $200 contract price phone with a $50, $70, or $80 contract price phone is a rip. even now the d1 is $150 - thats twice what the others cost!

my advice... drop your insurance asap, keep the extended warranty if you want. a CPO droid costs $289.99 - $310 or less with some high sales tax a full retail with manager discount incredible or X would run you ~$450

C4ptain

Reaction score
I just got my broken droid replaced with a droid by Verizon, paid for by asurion. Go into a corporate verizon store, tell them the situation, call asurion and tell them the situation also. I finally got the corporate rep to speak to the store representative and they confirmed that they can do an in store replacement. Stores still have stock. (But for how long?) They use "emergency replacement". No extra cost (just the deductible), but it's just a hassle pushing two customer service people at once to cooperate.

The verizon one's are usually nice after they initially try to turn you away and once they start to understand.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would tell them that this is simply unacceptable, that I have a heavy investment in market software that REQUIRES 2.0+ and a modern chipset, and that they are GOING to ship me a DroidX or an Incredible (Droid2 when it comes out) - the OS incompatibilities to me equal not a comparable device.

bacalao

Reaction score
Actually I just placed a claim last Wednesday and I had to wait for a droid on back order until friday. Arrived on Saturday. Didn't get around to unrooting/activating new phone til last night. Now back in business. I only had to pay $50 (been getting money sucked out for years by asurion). I usually break all my phones at least once a year. Must have for me. However, I don't think it makes sense for someone who can usually go for two years without breaking a phone.