Are we just waiting on Moto for GB?

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think youre right. Can't a ROMer just make GB for the droid from AOSP?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

It's not as easy as "just" doing it. There are two (unstable) AOSP builds out, but they're lacking things like being able to use 3G on the stock browser, and the SD card not mounting. I haven't heard any more updates from either developer yet.
So it doesnt just come out compatible with any (most) non-locked devices? They actually still have to do stuff with it? Well Im sure thats still a lot easier than Blurcrapping it!

With the base of android not being changed much between 2.2 and 2.3, it has been a LOT easier just doing it. We haven't had to wait for newer props for features to work, and they have almost fixed most of the other problems. The only problems I ran into on the cm7 build I tried was a slow auto rotate and the keyboard backlight staying on. Seemed pretty stable and snappy to me.

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
It's not as easy as "just" doing it. There are two (unstable) AOSP builds out, but they're lacking things like being able to use 3G on the stock browser, and the SD card not mounting. I haven't heard any more updates from either developer yet.
So it doesnt just come out compatible with any (most) non-locked devices? They actually still have to do stuff with it? Well Im sure thats still a lot easier than Blurcrapping it!

With the base of android not being changed much between 2.2 and 2.3, it has been a LOT easier just doing it. We haven't had to wait for newer props for features to work, and they have almost fixed most of the other problems. The only problems I ran into on the cm7 build I tried was a slow auto rotate and the keyboard backlight staying on. Seemed pretty stable and snappy to me.
and its just about impossible for the D2/DX?

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

It won't be impossible, but a lot harder. People like cvpcs have gotten aosp almost working stable enough, so it's just a matter of fixing what is broken when upgrading the code to gingerbread.

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score

It won't be impossible, but a lot harder. People like cvpcs have gotten aosp almost working stable enough, so it's just a matter of fixing what is broken when upgrading the code to gingerbread.
I hope they get this done soon!

Have there been ANY official updates to GB, or is the Nexus S the only device that current runs a legit version of it?

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

Have there been ANY official updates to GB, or is the Nexus S the only device that current runs a legit version of it?

At this moment not even the Nexus 1 has been updated to Gingerbread. Only the Nexus S currently runs Gingerbread afaik.

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score

At this moment not even the Nexus 1 has been updated to Gingerbread. Only the Nexus S currently runs Gingerbread afaik.
Wow, thats shocking, and scary

ptfd13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 7
My droid 2 works great as it is. I don't care to get gb just for an animation.

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
To be honest, I'm pretty satisfied with 2.2.1 as well. Gingerbread seems, to me and how I'd use it, to be just a theme update, which I can get with one of the custom ROMs that has a Gingerbread theme baked in. My phone works well, is fast, does exactly what I want it to - if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

... Although it is nice to have the latest and greatest.

anuraj1

Reaction score
My droid 2 works great as it is. I don't care to get gb just for an animation.

What gives you the impression that this update is only an animation? I have used 2 GB ROMs for the D1, and even though they aren't completely stable, gingerbread is incredibly fast and a look at the code shows you that it has been modified and optimized a lot.

As far as the mentality of "if it's not broke, don't fix it," that is looking at it completely the wrong way. This update is important for the same reason that you're not on Windows 95 or MacOS 8 anymore. New optimizations and functionalities have been found and coded. Those OSes work, but would you stubbornly stick with them?

Sent from my Motorola Droid

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
^^GB has a lot of improvements: select text is no longer a pain, the system monitors are readable now, battery life seems better, ect.

^ Windows 95...... .dl files send me into a rage!

zero7404

Reaction score
wat id like to know is when gingerbread will be delivered on the d2, d2g ?

posted via android

Taegost

Reaction score
Are we just waiting on Moto to create some painfully annoying gingerBlur, or does google still have some more AOSP files to release?

Cause if its all on Moto now, I think im gonna bomb their inbox with emails asking why we have no GB. This is ridiculous, they've had long enough!

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

It is posts like this that drive me nuts, there is so much more going on in this world that you are not aware of, or care to know.
So here, before you add more to this thread, read up on what is actually going on so you can speak intelligently (Unless your purpose was to troll, in which case, good job): Software development process - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
^^You think Motorola will debut GB on a current device?
@taegost no need to (edit*) be insulting.

Taegost

Reaction score
It's not an insult, it's a statement of fact. Someone that has been around that long is expected to have learned the cycle of how things work, since it's a topic that is brought up often enough. It's obvious that's not the case, so I provided a link so everyone can educate themselves on why it takes so long for software to be released, especially when it needs to be remanufactured, which is the case here.