Are these battery wasting widgets?

Eddog4DROID

Reaction score
Does anyone know or have experience in dealing with these widgets as a source of a battery drain?

- Beautiful Widget Small Home w/ Notification
- Google News (I do not have weather enabled)
- ESPN Scorecenter
- Calendar Pad (4 x 4 Month)
- ScoreMobile (Soccer Scores)
- FeedR Widget (2 x 4)
- CBS News (with Alerts)
- Power Bar

These are my widgets, are any of these a major source of battery drain? trying to see if I need to eliminate some... even if none aren't specifically, do you think the combo I have either hurts the battery in major ways or causes screen lag?

I am rooted, overclocked to 900 MHz, Sapphire 1.1.1, and ADW.

techguru

Reaction score
It never shows up as one of the top users in Battery Usage, but I think Google News is a battery drainer. Whenever I add it to one of my home screens, even with the refresh set to 3 hours, I seem to get much worse battery life. I probably have too many widgets as it is, and they all use battery, but Google news feels like it is the tipping point for me.

Alan

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I believe the answer depends on how you have each app set to update/retrieve data. I use many of those in your list and I do not notice that any place a significant drain on my battery.

Mike

droider4life

Reaction score
It never shows up as one of the top users in Battery Usage, but I think Google News is a battery drainer. Whenever I add it to one of my home screens, even with the refresh set to 3 hours, I seem to get much worse battery life. I probably have too many widgets as it is, and they all use battery, but Google news feels like it is the tipping point for me.

Alan
you can download "os monitor" from the market and see just how much cpu they are using and if they are active or not. it reads in realtime which is nice..