Battery Saving Tips

crxlsturbo

Reaction score
Nice write up Lukeh. I have the similar settings on my bionic and can easily get 30-48 hours of moderate use. That's with using very little 4g. If I am heavy on 4g then I can get 24-30 hours of use with my extended battery.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

AlexSB

Reaction score
Has anyone tried calibrating the battery like done on the Thunderbolt?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

lisalisa13

Reaction score
I'm confused, if I turn data enabled off I don't get 3 or 4G so how do I turn them on when I need them?
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
LukeH

LukeH

Reaction score
I'm confused, if I turn data enabled off I don't get 3 or 4G so how do I turn them on when I need them?

You need to install a widget to your homescreen so you can manually turn these settings on or off. Toggle Widgets Pack by Schreinerdev in the Android market is a suggest. Go check that out, and if you don't like it there are several other widgets that can be used to toggle these settings on or off.

powerwagon

Reaction score
Push is generally easier on battery than posting every 15-30 mins

lisalisa13

Reaction score
I tried toggle widgets and still couldn't get 3g or 4G to activate

markwebb

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions!

Well, I have had my Bionic now for almost 5 days. I LOVE its speed and form factor and screen (pentile is not an issue with me as I can see it in daylight) and build but I can't stand the horrible battery life. The phone is great in standby mode when I deployed your suggestions but "using" the phone is another matter. It just drains so quickly, especially in light-moderate usage.

Moreover, I don't live in a 4G area and I have the phone set to CDMA only.

Is this the case for all 4 g phones? I am rather dismayed I need to keep it constantly plugged in.:frown: I had thought rooting and deblurring it with Theory/Purity ROM would have helped....

Also, I notice a warning alert pops up when it indicates phone has been fully charged and you must unplug. Do we have to do that? On OG Droid, the charge would just cease if kept plugged in. I liked that feature.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

bluezdawg

Reaction score
Has anyone tried calibrating the battery like done on the Thunderbolt?

Have not tried it. Have also heard you should calibrate when flashing a new ROM or with new battery. Found the following but have not tried it.

[video=youtube;skfS2RIsXoc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skfS2RIsXoc[/video]

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions!

Well, I have had my Bionic now for almost 5 days. I LOVE its speed and form factor and screen (pentile is not an issue with me as I can see it in daylight) and build but I can't stand the horrible battery life. The phone is great in standby mode when I deployed your suggestions but "using" the phone is another matter. It just drains so quickly, especially in light-moderate usage.

Moreover, I don't live in a 4G area and I have the phone set to CDMA only.

Is this the case for all 4 g phones? I am rather dismayed I need to keep it constantly plugged in.:frown: I had thought rooting and deblurring it with Theory/Purity ROM would have helped....

Also, I notice a warning alert pops up when it indicates phone has been fully charged and you must unplug. Do we have to do that? On OG Droid, the charge would just cease if kept plugged in. I liked that feature.

Thanks again.

What do you mean by a quick battery drain (in terms of hours)? Battery life should get better with charging and maybe you should get the extended battery.

I'm unrooted, but I don't get a fully charged message.

markwebb

Reaction score
What do you mean by a quick battery drain (in terms of hours)? Battery life should get better with charging and maybe you should get the extended battery.

I'm unrooted, but I don't get a fully charged message.

As an example, I just used the Droid Forums app and I checked 1 email: in 10-15 minutes of use it drained by 3% and screen was at lowest setting and I was not auto syncing anything.

Yesterday, I experimented and probably did light-moderate usage: a few emails (mostly reading with 1 sent by me with approx 10 lines of text), radio on, 1 phone call for 5 minutes, 1 text, some web browsing and it depleted almost 25% in 1 hour with screen at low setting.

Is this the norm?

AlexSB

Reaction score
Have not tried it. Have also heard you should calibrate when flashing a new ROM or with new battery. Found the following but have not tried it.

[video=youtube;skfS2RIsXoc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skfS2RIsXoc[/video]

I think thats the same as wiping battery stats in recovery, ill try "bump charging" the bionic soon, it just requires free time in the morning (since I charge mines overnight)

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
As an example, I just used the Droid Forums app and I checked 1 email: in 10-15 minutes of use it drained by 3% and screen was at lowest setting and I was not auto syncing anything.

Yesterday, I experimented and probably did light-moderate usage: a few emails (mostly reading with 1 sent by me with approx 10 lines of text), radio on, 1 phone call for 5 minutes, 1 text, some web browsing and it depleted almost 25% in 1 hour with screen at low setting.

Is this the norm?

Not too sure. Part of battery drain is location (weak signal strength uses more power) and what apps or widgets you have.

OK, how long from when you unplug until you need to charge again? 6 hours? 10 hours? Over 14 hours?

Last edited:

bluezdawg

Reaction score
Did replace my "live" wallpaper with a dark background. Noticed a little improvement on battery. Overall, I am pretty pleased with the extended battery life given moderate to slightly heavy usage.

markwebb

Reaction score
Do you need a new cover to hold the extended battery?

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Do you need a new cover to hold the extended battery?

If you're buying the Verizon extended battery it comes with the cover.