Battery Saving Tips

OP
LukeH

LukeH

Reaction score
Did replace my "live" wallpaper with a dark background. Noticed a little improvement on battery. Overall, I am pretty pleased with the extended battery life given moderate to slightly heavy usage.

Yes, using a black or red wallpaper is the least battery saving color you can use for a background.

lm2

Reaction score
I am rather dismayed I need to keep it constantly plugged in.:frown: I had thought rooting and deblurring it with Theory/Purity ROM would have helped....

So you've got Th3ory's Purity ROM and have not seen an improvement on battery life? Have you tried the Liberty ROM? (I am new to Droid & Bionic--mine first is at FedEx location now--and have been looking into ways to improve battery. Your experiences will help me.)

bluezdawg

Reaction score
Are you still seeing good results with Juice Defender?

Still working for me! On FB, forums, text and occasional video, usually have around 60% by around 7:00 pm. I really have no complaints about battery.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

lm2

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. My bionic is on its way to me and I'm just trying to prepare. I'll have 11 days or so to decide if I like it before I've got to send it back to Verizon if I want to switch it.

after lots of reading, although I have some hacking of linux devices in my past, I'm thinking that staying stock is a good bet. I plan to root+forever root, and then to use Titanium Backup Pro to freeze bloatware, a la the instructions here: [Complete Guide] Root, Custom Recovery, Backup, And De-Bloat Your DROID BIONIC

I guess a backup of stock rooted won't hurt either. But after that, I don't plan on too much modding....

....unless there are must haves that people want to enlighten me about...

bluezdawg

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. My bionic is on its way to me and I'm just trying to prepare. I'll have 11 days or so to decide if I like it before I've got to send it back to Verizon if I want to switch it.

after lots of reading, although I have some hacking of linux devices in my past, I'm thinking that staying stock is a good bet. I plan to root+forever root, and then to use Titanium Backup Pro to freeze bloatware, a la the instructions here: [Complete Guide] Root, Custom Recovery, Backup, And De-Bloat Your DROID BIONIC

I guess a backup of stock rooted won't hurt either. But after that, I don't plan on too much modding....

....unless there are must haves that people want to enlighten me about...

Ditto. Rooted my OG, but have decided to wait for the expected update to address some of the problems before I run of and root on this one. Figure I'll not introduce other variables till they get this baby stabilized. Should be soon. Enjoy your Bionic!

lm2

Reaction score
Hey thanks. Say, can you tell me: will an OTA now available to me eliminate the possibility of gaining root? Or are all firmwares now available rootable? I just want to know if I should hold off on any OTA's in case I want root.

Scouser

Reaction score
Although I am new to the board, I decided to do something useful and create a consolidated thread of tips to save battery. So if you have any tips, just PM them to me or post them on the thread and I'll be sure to update it. Hope none of the old members on here think I am overstepping.

For now, here are the following tips to conserve battery and still get performance out of your phone.

1. Screen Brightness
Settings | Display | Brightness - Try and keep it low. Obviously, it is up to personal preference but I keep mine at 20% and still see the screen well. It takes a little for your eyes to get acclimated, but after a while, you won't even notice the difference; apart from the battery saving difference of course ;)

2. 4G/LTE
Settings | Wireless & Networks | Mobile Networks | Network Mode | CDMA - These phones are 4G/LTE phones. But sometimes we need to realize that they are made to be phones where we have the option of using 4G. Although 4G is fast, we don't need it all the time. We only need it when we're downloading things, browsing webpages or perhaps watching Netflix. So when the phone is just sitting in your pocket, or you're just playing a game, or it's just syncing in the background, 4G is not necessary. It is just an extra drain on our battery resources and we can turn it off.

3. Sync
Many apps have sync settings. So if you're not using certain apps often, increase their sync interval. For example, I use Google Currents and I have set it to sync once every 24 hours. It is nice to have updated news, but when I need updated news, I can just tell the app to sync right when I open it rather than having it sync when I am not using it at all.

4. Bluetooth
Unless you are using Bluetooth, you should always keep it off.

5. WiFi
3G should remain on whenever your phone is on standby. However, if you can connect to a wireless network and are actively using your phone, then you should use the wireless network. 3G will use less power than WiFi when on standby; however, if you are using your phone, try and use WiFi to conserve battery.

6. Task Manager
If you just used your phone, close any unnecessary apps that may be running in the background using Task Manager.

7. Live Wallpaper
Although these are cool to have, they do cause more of a battery drain. That's why I tend to stick to high resolution stationary wallpapers. You can find cool ones at a variety of sites. The best way I found was just searching on Google Images using "HD Wallpaper" tags.

There are automated apps which provide some battery saving functionality. However, I have yet to come across any that are as comprehensive as the Droid RAZR's Smart Actions (apart from Juice Defender). So if you come across something, let the community know!

Apps:
AutomateIt Pro is a superior program for 'Smart Actions'. There is no limit as to what you can make into a automatic task. There is a free and paid version for $1.50, a steal in my mind.

Easy Battery Saver

Last edited:

RezoundHound

Reaction score
I'm glad to see you have "Screen Brightness" listed as no. 1. If you go to Settings/About Phone/Battery/Battery Use you'll see that the screen is the biggest battery hog. Easy Battery Saver is a great app as well. Use the Advanced Mode. I switched from Juice Defender Ultimate to EBS. JD would consistently fail to wake up WiFi when unlocking the screen. HTC recommends against using Task Killers. Bluetooth uses surprisingly little power. I've found that it's more of an inconvenience to keep turning it off and on than it's worth, but that's a personal choice. Tired of getting in the car and realizing I have to turn it back on. 4G has yet to reach my area, so I have no choice in matter with that.

If conserving battery power is a primary concern, you can turn off just about every feature that makes having a smart phone worth while, but that would defeat the purpose of having one in the first place. Each individual has to decide which features are or are not a priority.

RH

Last edited:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm glad to see you have "Screen Brightness" listed as no. 1. If you go to Settings/About Phone/Battery/Battery Use you'll see that the screen is the biggest battery hog. Easy Battery Saver is a great app as well. Use the Advanced Mode. I switched from Juice Defender Ultimate to EBS. JD would consistently fail to wake up WiFi when unlocking the screen. HTC recommends against using Task Killers. Bluetooth uses surprisingly little power. I've found that it's more of an inconvenience to keep turning it off and on than it's worth, but that's a personal choice. Tired of getting in the car and realizing I have to turn it back on. 4G has yet to reach my area, so I have no choice in matter with that.

If conserving battery power is a primary concern, you can turn off just about every feature that makes having a smart phone worth while, but that would defeat the purpose of having one in the first place. Each individual has to decide which features are or are not a priority.

RH

Besides WiFi toggle what other things make you prefer it over JD? Mine fails to toggle WiFi and/4g off, defeating the whole purpose for me to use a battery saver app.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this TapaTalk post

Scouser

Reaction score

RH
Yeah, I don't use Task Killers. However, I do occasionally use the in-built Task Manager they have because it takes into account necessary services, so the ones you actually kill aren't going to restart themselves like with third party Task Killers.

RezoundHound

Reaction score
Besides WiFi toggle what other things make you prefer it over JD?

I actually liked JD. I just had to stop using it because I found the utilization of its WiFi toggle to be buggy. Every time the screen would unlock I'd have to manually turn WiFi back on. That's supposed to be automatic. I liked everything else about it. The "Ultimate" version has every conceivable battery saving feature you could imagine.

RH

Last edited:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gotcha. Thanks. I've just reverted to the built in power saver. JD never turned my stuff off. It worked fine before the firmware update on the phone.
I tried the one you suggested, might give it more time and see if it helps but the ui is confusing vrom being overly simple, the faq was a waste of reading, to me

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Sent from this Galaxy via Blue Tapatalk

RezoundHound

Reaction score
Gotcha. Thanks. I've just reverted to the built in power saver. JD never turned my stuff off. It worked fine before the firmware update on the phone.
I tried the one you suggested, might give it more time and see if it helps but the ui is confusing vrom being overly simple, the faq was a waste of reading, to me

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Sent from this Galaxy via Blue Tapatalk

Yes, the UI of JD can be very intimidating. Anyone using it needs to carefully study the below link. After awhile I mastered the settings. If you don't read everything you won't realize JD has a "learning process". During this phase it learns when to connect to your home network. Until it learns this, you'll have to manually turn on WiFi sometimes. I discovered it did indeed do this. This problem was it wasn't consistent enough for me. So far Easy Battery Saver has been rock solid.

Just FYI, the built-in power saver mode turns off 4G. In order to use 4G you must set the Power Mode to "High Performance".

Overview | How to use JuiceDefender

RH