What Android apps will you download/transfer to ThunderBolt?

OP
guitarchris123
Reaction score
Actually this is a good thread question. For me I have about 160 apps saved at appbrain.com and I will be going through those to make sure I don't want anything to d/l.

On a side note this thread is pointing out some new apps I had not heard of before, so thank you.:)

Your welcome! It can be hard to navigate through all the apps out there and know what does what and if its any good or not, and I know a lot of first-time Android users will be getting the Thunderbolt and will be relatively clueless as to what apps to get beyond the obvious ones.

How does AppBrain work/what do you use it for? I've never used or seen it before.

Canefan

Reaction score
Canefan,

Just grab titanium backup and backup all your apps and data. From you SD card drag you titanium backup file to your desktop and when you get your new device drag that titanium backup file to you SD card and when you install that app all of you data will appear. I've done this numerous times with absolutely no problems whatsoever. You will have to restore that data manually within the app

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Thanks, but Titanium won't work unless your device is rooted. MyBackup Pro would be another option but it too requires root to restore apps + data. Might just wait on the Thunderbolt to be rooted before I purchase one. I'm sure it won't take long.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
guitarchris123
Reaction score
Thanks, but Titanium won't work unless your device is rooted. MyBackup Pro would be another option but it too requires root to restore apps + data. Might just wait on the Thunderbolt to be rooted before I purchase one. I'm sure it won't take long.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Johnboy over in the Demo thread said that he used MyBackup Pro to restore his apps from his other phone, and they didn't all show up at first but did a few days later. You might want to check out that thread to see what he said about it or ask him a question. Also, the pre-production model of the TB was rooted already, so I imagine that it will not take long to get the final model rooted.

OP
guitarchris123
Reaction score
Note - I've updated the list, separating apps by category, and I've begun rankings, but it is still incomplete. Any help or input would be much appreciated! dancedroid:icon_ banana:

OP
guitarchris123
Reaction score
It would be nice to get some of this bloatware off the phone fairly soon (BitBop, Blockbuster, City ID, Kindle, Peep, etc.).

OP
guitarchris123
Reaction score
Thanks for making this thread, Chris. I've added quite a few of the apps you put up as well as a few others here and there.

I do have a question though being that I'm new to Android:
I noticed that a few of the apps automatically started running themselves without me actually turning anything on manually. Is there a way to prevent this and turn some of them off only to be used when I need them? I don't like a whole lot of things running in the background since I want to keep the speed up.

You're welcome! Some things rely on other things to work properly, so shutting down one program may negatively affect another. I would not go shutting down something if you don't know what it is. You need to adjust settings by pressing menu/settings/accounts & sync, and to go into the app itself and adjust its settings so that it does not update/sync on its own, only when you want it to. There are tips in my thread on battery life on how to do that. With the way Android works, apps are not using up resources in the background when you are not using them, and the system will close things down automatically itself when you haven't used it for a while and it needs the resources. It would take more CPU and battery power to close them and open them each time than to leave it in the background ready to be pulled up quickly. Its the syncing and updating of data that gets you.

On a side note - I'm still going through trying out many of the apps listed and trying to change rankings and add/delete things. Now that everyone's had several days to play around in the market, any input from you all as to categories to add (and apps within the categories), or suggestions of different rankings, would help a lot, as I just don't have the time or need to use everything.

llgeg

Reaction score
Actually this is a good thread question. For me I have about 160 apps saved at appbrain.com and I will be going through those to make sure I don't want anything to d/l.

On a side note this thread is pointing out some new apps I had not heard of before, so thank you.:)

Your welcome! It can be hard to navigate through all the apps out there and know what does what and if its any good or not, and I know a lot of first-time Android users will be getting the Thunderbolt and will be relatively clueless as to what apps to get beyond the obvious ones.

How does AppBrain work/what do you use it for? I've never used or seen it before.

Put me on the clueless list, I am getting my TB tomorrow and have no idea where to start for apps.

OP
guitarchris123
Reaction score
Put me on the clueless list, I am getting my TB tomorrow and have no idea where to start for apps.

Haha, congrats! Well, you've come to the right place! Just figure out what you want to do with your phone, what your interests and needs are, and try a few different things out from the market. If you don't like it, delete it, simple as that. There is so much out there, but I've tried to point out some of the most popular, highest rated, and useful apps of them all, since a lot of them in the market are either rated poorly or are kind of worthless.

llgeg

Reaction score

Haha, congrats! Well, you've come to the right place! Just figure out what you want to do with your phone, what your interests and needs are, and try a few different things out from the market. If you don't like it, delete it, simple as that. There is so much out there, but I've tried to point out some of the most popular, highest rated, and useful apps of them all, since a lot of them in the market are either rated poorly or are kind of worthless.

:) This is my first smart phone, so I feel like it's Christmas, waiting for it to arrive tomorrow. I appreciate your list, as well as the saving battery post as well. It's going to be very helpful! I have an 8yr old who is excited and just wants to play angry birds! dancedroid

OP
guitarchris123
Reaction score
I have had my TB for about 1 week. Do you use mostly FREE apps or PAY apps? Can you suggest a way to put reminder notes into the phone? Thanks-TBM

I use mostly free apps. Most paid version just offer a few extra features (often that you don't need), remove ad banners, etc. There are a few things you will end up paying for, like some games and some key apps that actually offer features worth paying for, and a lot of things if you choose to root are paid. I've only paid for one app so far, but its still early and I haven't played with everything yet.

As far as reminder notes go, I suggest Astrid (to-do list), Evernote (note-taking), or Jorte (personal organizer). There are more simple apps out there too. Just check out the list in the first post and search/browse in the market, looking at descriptions and preview screen shots, until you see something that appeals to you.

AlexSB

Reaction score
Good list man, I have yet to try a lot of these apps. I'm really liking the stock SMS app so I might delay handcent for a bit more. Two apps you need on the list are (sorry if you got them but I missed em):

Gtunes
Flikie wallpaper

This thread has been struck by THUNDER...lightning?

OP
guitarchris123
Reaction score
Is there any way you can make this a sticky? Thanks.

I would, but that is up to the mods to decide, not the OP.

Good list man, I have yet to try a lot of these apps. I'm really liking the stock SMS app so I might delay handcent for a bit more. Two apps you need on the list are (sorry if you got them but I missed em):

Gtunes
Flikie wallpaper

Flikie has always been on there. Gtunes is not in the market, nor am I recommending any other free mp3 downloader app, as copyright infringement is illegal.

AlexSB

Reaction score
Yea I missed flikie, flikie hd looks nice on the TB, I had to stick to the regular one when I was on my D2. I Wonder how long Gtunes has been off the market for...anyway Sign is another good app. Even better with the TBs larger screen