App Market no accessible from Bionic?

Tim B

Reaction score
While searching the net for info on the Bionic I saw a video of two one person showing a Bionic to another and one of them said, "Where is the marketplace icon?" To which the other replied, "Motorola took it off the phone to keep you from accessing it."

Okaaayyy, this seems to make no sense whatsoever. How are you supposed to find and download new apps for the phone? Does anyone know if this is true and if so how are we supposed to get apps?

Tegamal

Reaction score
Link to said video?

Even without seeing it, I can assure you it's probably fake & it will most certainly have the Android Market preinstalled.

wseyller

Reaction score
I also seen videos of the bionic with a market icon and them browsing through the market.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I'm thinking it was a developers phone, and they removed the market to keep the device under wraps.

OP
T

Tim B

Reaction score
Okay, I thought that didn't make too much sense. Now I feel better. I was hoping that Motorola wasn't starting to adopt the same monopolistic Steve Jobs mentality of do it my way and but it from my store or not at all. That is the main reason I refuse to buy apple products. Here is the url of the page with the video, scroll down a bit on the page:

Motorola Droid Bionic hands-on -- Engadget

It is in the last 10% or so of the video.

anuraj1

Reaction score
I'm on my phone so I didn't watch the video, but I remember the one you're talking about. It is about the old Etna version of the Bionic at CES and they didn't want people downloading benchmark software so they deleted the market on the demo phone.

Sent from my Motorola Droid

Tillmorn

Reaction score
Okay, I thought that didn't make too much sense. Now I feel better. I was hoping that Motorola wasn't starting to adopt the same monopolistic Steve Jobs mentality of do it my way and but it from my store or not at all. That is the main reason I refuse to buy apple products. Here is the url of the page with the video, scroll down a bit on the page:

Motorola Droid Bionic hands-on -- Engadget

It is in the last 10% or so of the video.

That's from way back in January, when the Bionic was based on Moto's Etna design. The phone that will be released Thursday is their Targa design, which replaced the Etna Bionic after issues earlier this year. As to why no marketplace- that was a video taken at CES.

wseyller

Reaction score
sigh - how many times do we have to explain this? Old bionic vs New bionic. etna vs targa. it's motorola's fault but, geez.

idefiler6

Reaction score
Maybe I'm wrong, but can't you access market in ways other than with the icon?
Possibly. You can use the online service but no guarantees it will download to your device with no app. Flash GAPPS would be the best way. Need root and rom manager or the zip file.

Regardless, the Bionic is confirmed to have a market, so rest easy.

JeffP

Reaction score
no access to market

While searching the net for info on the Bionic I saw a video of two one person showing a Bionic to another and one of them said, "Where is the marketplace icon?" To which the other replied, "Motorola took it off the phone to keep you from accessing it."

Okaaayyy, this seems to make no sense whatsoever. How are you supposed to find and download new apps for the phone? Does anyone know if this is true and if so how are we supposed to get apps?

I picked up the Bionic today and already having issues downloading from the market. I had to do a hard reset. It worked for awhile then started acting up again. I will be returning the phone and will wait for the next Samsung to hit the streets. My Moto days are over.