Anyone ready to return/sell their phones after the Droid 4 leak?

BlakLanner

Reaction score
I cannot say that I am. When the D3 came out we knew that LTE phones were just around the corner. Given the battery life of your average LTE radio and the low, but admittedly expanding, coverage areas, I will stick with the D3. My only real concern is how this will effect both 1st and 3rd party OS updates. My phone not being king of the hill doesn't make me like it any less. It was a huge step up from my D1.

doogald

Reaction score
Samsung still puts all their eggs in the galaxy s 2 line (the best phone on the market).

Samsung released the Droid Charge on Verizon in August, the S2 line (not on Verizon) in the US in September, the Samsung Stratosphere in September, and now the Galaxy Nexus in December, which is not an S2. And wasn't everybody angry at Samsung for not updating the Fascinate fast enough to Froyo? And didn't that phone have all sorts of problems (with GPS, for example) that weren't fixed for months?

HTC took months to deliver a GB update to the TBolt. Clearly not putting out phones as frequently does nothing to make updates come faster.

Apple has power in the market that the other OEMs simply do not have to deliver only a single great phone every year - which also tend to have problems, by the way, such as the iPhone 4 antenna issue, and the current battery drain issue with iOS 5. Apple doesn't have to compete with other manufacturers making iOS devices, while Motorola, HTC, Samsung, etc. do have to compete with other Android phone manufacturers. However, clearly Apple does a better job of delivering OS updates to their phones than any of the Android OEMs do (and that includes Google with the Nexus line.) Also, by the way, there remains on the iPhone an annoying bug with smart playlist updating in the Music app that prevents the playlists from updating on the device. This bug dates from iOS 3.x, and remains on iOS 5.0.1. Apple is also not perfect, and that's with only a single reference design per year.

STVA

Reaction score
I'm keeping my D3 because it is a World Phone. I believe that it is still the best Verizon phone with GSM.

Droid3Guy

Reaction score
My phone not being king of the hill doesn't make me like it any less. It was a huge step up from my D1.
This doesn't bother me in the least either. I'm happy with my D3. I better be because I've only had it for a month and a half now. And you said you moved up from a D1. Well, I came from a G1! Imagine the huge step up I took when acquiring this phone! Lol Anyway, when this contract runs out, they'll probably have the droid 6 out, or something else similar. Can't stop or even attempt to slow down technology. It is what it is.

spillner

Reaction score
Samsung released the Droid Charge on Verizon in August, the S2 line (not on Verizon) in the US in September, the Samsung Stratosphere in September, and now the Galaxy Nexus in December, which is not an S2. And wasn't everybody angry at Samsung for not updating the Fascinate fast enough to Froyo? And didn't that phone have all sorts of problems (with GPS, for example) that weren't fixed for months?

HTC took months to deliver a GB update to the TBolt. Clearly not putting out phones as frequently does nothing to make updates come faster.

Apple has power in the market that the other OEMs simply do not have to deliver only a single great phone every year - which also tend to have problems, by the way, such as the iPhone 4 antenna issue, and the current battery drain issue with iOS 5. Apple doesn't have to compete with other manufacturers making iOS devices, while Motorola, HTC, Samsung, etc. do have to compete with other Android phone manufacturers. However, clearly Apple does a better job of delivering OS updates to their phones than any of the Android OEMs do (and that includes Google with the Nexus line.) Also, by the way, there remains on the iPhone an annoying bug with smart playlist updating in the Music app that prevents the playlists from updating on the device. This bug dates from iOS 3.x, and remains on iOS 5.0.1. Apple is also not perfect, and that's with only a single reference design per year.

First off the GS2 phones are on every carrier. Samsung didn't come out with 4 new phones every other month for verizon like Motorola is doing. To date their is 2 GS phone for VZW. The Fascinate (Came out last year) and the Stratosphere (which has a QWERTY Keyboard). Add the Charge in their and Samsung only has 3 smart phones for VZW. Moto on the other hand has flooded VZW with smart phones, which does nothing but devalue what you've already purchased. Samsung is the number 1 retailer of smartphones in the world.

Nobody expects their phone to be king forever but they should expect some decent shelf life before being replaced and if Moto does release the D4 before the end of the year then they've done nothing but show that they have no customer loyalty.

The D4 should be released next year with the top of the line dual core CPU, 1.5gigs of ram, 32gigs of memory, 4" super AMOLED display, 4g, world capabilities, the newest version of ICS installed and the option to unlock the bootloader at the expense of the manufacturers warranty. They should go after the iPhone 5 with the same enthusiasm that the D1 had going after the 3GS. Thats the Motorola I want back.

TyrantII

Reaction score
Companies ALWAYS come out with new products. That's life, especially in the tech world.

Deal with it and grow up.

EDIT: Not specifically directed to you, spillner, but rather anyone whining about this in general. I am sick of it, considering Moto doesn't do business any differently than any other company.

I know right?

The argument I'm hearing is "Don't release new, upgraded tech and make my phone not the biggest penis on the market". Is that really peoples argument?

I'm vehemently against planned obsolescence, but it's not like the D4 is much different from the D3/Bionic/Razr tech wise. They're all niche products to supplement the Droid brand based on what your biggest draw is.

The D3/Bionic still seems to me the better phones anyways, removable batters that can be replaced with extended batteries win over the styling of the others.

TyrantII

Reaction score
Its not about Moto releasing new phones that bothers me, its releasing of the next generation phone less than 6 months of the previous generation.

Everyone knew the bionic was gonna be released after the D3 and moto was hinting at another phone after that, but to feature the D4 so soon is just wrong.

What type of attention do you think D3 owners will get when it comes time for firmware or OS updates now, being that we're 3 phones down the list

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Seeing how functionally its pretty much all the same tech (OMAP4430 with the LTE radio being the difference), hopefully they'll all get the same attention. There really shouldn;t be much difference bwteen Blur running on each device. (Shouldn't being key here) If you're talking about the ROM scene, well thats a different story.

ICS was just booted to the D3 though, so drop a few bucks to your favorite Dev via paypal and maybe you'll get the ROM support your looking for.

This is just a big slap in the face to D3 owners just as the Razr was a slap to Bionic owners.

You do realize the Razr, Bionic and D4 are the same phone, right? If the cosmetic difference are that big a deal to you, then you're the exact reason Moto is doing this. People like you need to have it, without caring whats under the hood. Seems you're overlooking the tech for the hype moto rightfully wants.

These phones have very small changes to differentiate them for different needs, but are all essentially the same Gen. There's nothing notible tech wise to make each a step above the next.

The D4 should be released next year with the top of the line dual core CPU, 1.5gigs of ram, 32gigs of memory, 4" super AMOLED display, 4g, world capabilities, the newest version of ICS installed and the option to unlock the bootloader at the expense of the manufacturers warranty. They should go after the iPhone 5 with the same enthusiasm that the D1 had going after the 3GS. Thats the Motorola I want back.

View attachment 43013

We're taking about cellphones, right?

Last edited:

Hashcode

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.hash-of-codes.blogspot.com
You do realize the Razr, Bionic and D4 are the same phone, right?

To add to this: the D3 and Bionic share a kernel (27.11). And the RAZR's kernel is literaly 1 revision newer (with some gpu optimization for the upcoming ICS drop).

If I was a betting man, I'd guess D4 will share the RAZR's kernel because it also supports a hardware keyboard. It also supports LTE, CDMA and GSM, so this 1 kernel may end up supporting 4 devices once ICS is pushed out to Bionic and D3. (Note I included D3 in that list because I believe Motorola will include D3 in the ICS upgrades planned for next year.)

For me: I won't be getting a D4 unless someone shoves one down my pants. I'm quite happy with every aspect of the D3. including the world phone ability and battery life. I also, won't fault Motorola for rolling out a new phones as that's the way the world works. TBH, we had the top of the line hard keyboard phone for a much longer time than I expected.

zathus

Reaction score
My kid has the d3 and loves it. I do think its way to soon though. Moto is hurting there own cause. There have been like 8 "Droid" phones out this year. That's overkill IMO and has already destroyed the rep the og built. Droid = quality. Now Droid = quantity. As stupid as it might sound, among other things the reason the gnex will be my next phone is to get away from the Droid branding. Its just not what it once was

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

doogald

Reaction score
My kid has the d3 and loves it. I do think its way to soon though. Moto is hurting there own cause. There have been like 8 "Droid" phones out this year.

Five, actually - the X2, Droid 3, Bionic, Razr and (rumored at this point, still) Droid 4. Samsung has four Android phones on VZW this year (Charge, Stratosphere, Illusion and Galaxy Nexus.) HTC has four as well: Thunderbolt, Incredible 2, Rhyme, and Rezound.

My guess is that this year is an aberration because of the LTE rollout. ICS may also affect this; Motorola's twitter account announced that there would be ICS "devices" 6 weeks after the code dropped. Obviously the D4 that's rumored is not one of those phones, so perhaps we should start hearing some more belly-aching when those get announced. Anyway, now that the network is broader and OEMs seems to be able to make reliable LTE devices, maybe we will be seeing more of a normal release schedule going forward.

Last edited:

spillner

Reaction score
@TyrantIII are you suggesting that cell phone companies should release next gen phones every 4-6 months? Should we be on the D6 by X-mas of next year? or the Bionic/RAZR 3? At that rate Moto will be the next BlackBerry.

sajgel

Reaction score
Pissed off doesn't even come close to how I feel about Moto right now. D3 is my last Moto phone.

And 6 months after the Droid 4 comes the Droid 5. Tech life is ALWAYS fast. Computers are oudatd as soon as you buy them, so what is the diff. Just deal with it. There will never be an end the the NEXT BIG THING.

Reaction score
Its still flooding the market with android phones. With all these phones android is getting lost. Where are the stock android phones? People just buy these phones not because there android but because they look cool and can do some cool things. They need to slow down and focus on android and not how many we can pump out. The og droid is so much better then the new ones that are out now because it was about android. The new ones are made just to keep up with the technology. Not a bad thing but its not a good thing either. That's why I will not support any phone that is not stock android. Stock android phones will last longer and be the most up to date phones out the. Look at the nexus s it still the most up to date phone and its almost a year old. What other phone is running on 2.3.7. The Droid 3 will never get that far without a custom rom. You might not agree but its the way it is like it or not. There will not be a 4th nexus in 6 months but in 12 month so its a good investment. All other phones just might have a new one every 4 months so just be prepared.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums