Anyone ready to return/sell their phones after the Droid 4 leak?

tuffD1

Reaction score
I did not even realize I had Metallica's- Don't tread on me playing while I was reading jedihep's post. No wonder I was pumped. But nothing super duper will come of Moto.

Sent from my ProjElite Droid¹

mikedyk43

Reaction score
I did not even realize I had Metallica's- Don't tread on me playing while I was reading jedihep's post. No wonder I was pumped. But nothing super duper will come of Moto.

I smell a "Mandatory Metallica" marathon coming! Oh and make that +2 jedihep

jedihep

Reaction score
Take heed Motorola the Droid Army is amassing. The Droid Revolution is at hand! The time to correct your errored ways is now! You can allie yourselves with us or be ground beneath or heels! The writing is on the wall and you have been served your notice!

tuffD1

Reaction score
A short time ago, strength in numbers let VZW know that the small fee increase was a dumb idea. Let's hope Moto gets wind of this little post so they can make some quick easy changes for the next kick aZ DROID. Even though the haters will say, nobody wants a physical keyboard(WE know this to be untrue). The D1 was a kick aZ device when it was released(and still is, which is why I still have an upgrade). I don't mind waiting past the rumored Feb release, but give US something great. The build is easy, keep what ever body you have for the D4 and double check that it is SOLID(I think we are all cool with that). Pick OUR fav things(use the internet for this) from D1-D3 and make those things better, puts some new/fast/up to date innards. Heck, you could even use the best screen/front&rear cameras from your current stock. Stop being lazy/dumb with the builds (like the Bionic to RAZR deal) and JUST IMPROVE THE DROID!

spillner

Reaction score
A short time ago, strength in numbers let VZW know that the small fee increase was a dumb idea. Let's hope Moto gets wind of this little post so they can make some quick easy changes for the next kick aZ DROID. Even though the haters will say, nobody wants a physical keyboard(WE know this to be untrue). The D1 was a kick aZ device when it was released(and still is, which is why I still have an upgrade). I don't mind waiting past the rumored Feb release, but give US something great. The build is easy, keep what ever body you have for the D4 and double check that it is SOLID(I think we are all cool with that). Pick OUR fav things(use the internet for this) from D1-D3 and make those things better, puts some new/fast/up to date innards. Heck, you could even use the best screen/front&rear cameras from your current stock. Stop being lazy/dumb with the builds (like the Bionic to RAZR deal) and JUST IMPROVE THE DROID!

That will never happen. Moto has no incentive to wait. They can release the D4 and make a bundle. Their are people on here who will to sell their D3s towards a D4 which is exactly what Moto wants. After 10 years of owning Motorola products the D3 will be my last one. Not that its a bad phone, but after 2 years since the OG DROID, moto still can't give me the smooth user experience I want. Dual core and its still laggy, choppy browser scrolling on full websites and an 8mp camera that sucks the life outta all the pictures (D1 takes better pictures IMO).

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

tuffD1

Reaction score
Of course my hopes of Moto doing what I (and maybe WE) hope they would do is just that, HOPES. It would just be sahweeeeet if they did .

haider

Reaction score
Any idea about the DROID 4 being an unlockable phone ? Like , will it be usable with a random sim after unlocking through codes ?:blink:

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=9660
" unannounced global GSM/WCDMA roaming capability that will be enabled later this year."

How does that happen ? Through a simple software switch or some hardware fix ? Any ideas ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm about to use my wife's upgrade and a "ghost" line (want to have a dedicated dumb phone anyway as a "house phone" and as a spare in case one of ours breaks plus upgrading every year for $10/mo is nice) to get two new phones and we are SERIOUSLY considering going with the D3 even with the D4 being right around the corner and the Stratosphere already being out. Honestly, 4G is not available out where we live yet, won't be for some time and my wife and I are perfectly happy with VZW 3G for web browsing/DLing, uploading pics etc... I don't need to upload a picture in .000343489 seconds with LTE when I can do it in 5 seconds with 3G and not notice any difference. You want slow 3G then try Sprint's network... Also I'm sick and damn tired of crap battery life and I know the D3 has it pretty good. ALSO, I'm in the military and I fly alot all over the place. I'm gone two months on, two months here and then back again not to mention the trips to wherever while I am not on my two month downrange deployment. I am almost 100% going to get a D3 for the simple reason that when I am in the desert or in Europe or Japan or wherever I can just buy a sim card and bang, no being limited to 1 hour per week of calling or having to hunt for a usable wifi signal to video chat. Not having a removable battery is also like screaming bloody murder in my ear as I have had to battery pull plenty on every device I've had and I can't imagine there not being a way to forcibly turn off my phone should the situation arise.

Honestly I'm not sure where all the hate is coming from... welcome to the world of computers people. If you had a quad core CPU were you all butthurt when the 6 cores came out probably right after you bought your quad core? D4 looks nice but at this rate, D6 will be confirmed for launch this coming Christmas or right after. If you live in a LTE area then I guess it sucks not having it but if you do live in one or in an area where a rollout was/is imminent, then why in hell did you buy a D3? If you had had HAD to have a keyboard then the Stratosphere was already confirmed at the time of D3 launch. As for the D3 vs D4, processor is going to be close or the same, same with the screen, keyboard on the D3 is great already, battery life is awesome, 512k ram is plenty for right now, you can pull your battery if you absolutely have to, dev support is well out in front of what the D4 will be and to top it all off, if you ever go on vacation somewhere overseas then you can take your phone with you and not have to deal with some junk prepaid flip-phone.

Lastly, free is and always will be a very very good thing and that's what these guys are right now because VZW is clearing them out. I dunno, a free dual core world phone with a great display and one of the best qwerty keyboards out there with awesome battery life on VZW's network is pretty sweet IMHO. And also IMHO, the D4 is a perfect example of what is wrong with our "consumer" culture. Advertisers and whoever else hypes the latest/greatest thing and people literally jump to throw their hard earned money at something that really isn't much better than what they already have without even thinking twice. Steve Jobs mastered this and when the iCrap 4S came out there were a TON of people at my work (especially those with Sprint) who dumped perfectly good iCrap 4 phones, and newer or brand new Androids to pay $600 to get it. Seriously... if you don't live in a LTE area or need a LTE phone then take advantage of the D3 being free. Hell, if you buy from Newegg you get the D3 for free with upgrade or $.99 cents add a line free desktop dock AND car mount too lol. VZW really REALLY wants these things gone and now is the perfect time to get a REALLY nice phone for nothing.

wow, first post back on here in a long time and /rant....

Last edited:

bacK_N_87

Reaction score
WOW - Good rant! I agree with your 4G LTE and battery life comments but if you've played around with ICS which the D3 is not getting and the D4 will be - screw the free phone deal!

Why wouldn't it get ICS? The differences in these two isn't all that significant. I'm sure they could slap the same update on both with no issues.

Sent from my DROID3

Reaction score
It'll get ICS either through an official update or a Dev. IIRC ICS has already been ported to the D3 by a dev at least as an alpha. Plus my mainline upgrade is in August so if I upgrade with the ghost line now to a D3 and then something omfgwtfbbq crazy comes out in the spring/summer I won't be left out.

Reaction score
Actually on the 10th. I might hit up a local VZW store just to see one but I really don't feel like being talked to by the reps trying to sell it to me and then have them get all indignant when it turns out I know 100x more about smartphones than they do. The misinformation at corporate and third party stores is actually hilarious enough to maybe make it worthwhile though. The latest was a Best Buy rep telling me that all VZW phones are "global" and then me telling him "technically they are able to be used internationally but only in 40 countries that use CDMA like China". Then him telling me the DInc2 and D3 are true World Phones but only able to be activated on Vodaphone so it is basically a VZW scam and that I should consider switching to a GSM carrier like ATT or T-Mobile (you can surf and talk at the same time on those networks you know and also just switch out the SIM internationally). I told him about getting the unlock code for the D3 or DInc2 VZW or a third party and also that I have grandfathered unlimited data so why in hell would I switch to a carrier that would cap my usage.