Anyone ready to return/sell their phones after the Droid 4 leak?

Cdjones187

Reaction score
People just buy these phones not because there android but because they look cool and can do some cool things.

That is the exact reason MOST people do buy phones. And that is really how the market works, personal preference. %99 of people could care less if they had the newest and fastest phone with the best hardware and software. They look for whatever works and seems cool to them. How do you think apple does so good? When you only have a handfull of phones to choose from people don't care about what's new or whats coming out in a week because they have a phone that works for them and there isnt much difference in the hardware/software (and looks, apples biggest downfull but there users still don't complain as much as android users...)

As far as AOSP phones go, good luck with that fight. It's funny because I have friends that have had motoblur phones and HATED android because thats what they thought android actually was. Same goes with touchwiz sense and any other manufacturers UI.

Instead of it just saying, 'With Google' on the back of these phones, it should really say 'With Google, overlayed with doo doo'

Be happy with what you have, ICS will make this phone AMAZING! Hardware acceleration and optimization make a heck of a difference, which almost ALL android devices lack (another apple 1 up)

At the end of the day, it will be the phone manufacturers that cause the fall of android, not because they are on the ball about releasing the best of the best but becasue they are defacing android as a user friendly OS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Ics is going to be great. Its just sad that all the nice cosmetic changes that Google made will get lost under the skins. I really do think Google comes out with the nexus phones it to show people what Android really is. But in the end all I can do is buy stock phones and show people what it is. And if enough people get on do the same thing maybe we can show the manafactures that stock is better. But I'm sure that won't happen.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

TyrantII

Reaction score
@TyrantIII are you suggesting that cell phone companies should release next gen phones every 4-6 months? Should we be on the D6 by X-mas of next year? or the Bionic/RAZR 3? At that rate Moto will be the next BlackBerry.

Whats next Gen?

Moto's naming convention has little to do with their upgrades in tech. New kernels, chipsets and a much more efficient LTE radio would be their next gen IMO, and that's not really on the horizon for a while. Unless apps suddenly get very CPU intensive, (And I don't see the most useful ones doing that anytime soon), we're not going to need a huge leap to a next Gen device.

These phones are all same Gen with minor differences. If moto wants to do that, and keeps up with support, I could care less what the new Kevlar backing looks like. I buy my phone tech based on my use, not participating in the rat race of who's got the newest marketed bell and whistle. Personally, I think lineup they have now is smart as it corners users different needs and preferences.

For instance the D4 will be show in VZW stores all over the nation, but it's major draw, the LTE support, will only work in 10-15% of them. Unless you care about how it looks, the D3 might be a better phone for you tech wise and price wise.

zathus

Reaction score
Five, actually - the X2, Droid 3, Bionic, Razr and (rumored at this point, still) Droid 4. Samsung has four Android phones on VZW this year (Charge, Stratosphere, Illusion and Galaxy Nexus.) HTC has four as well: Thunderbolt, Incredible 2, Rhyme, and Rezound. /QUOTE]

I didn't say moto. I said droids. And incredible 2 and charge both have the Droid branding. My comment wasnt about motorola, it was about the droid branding.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

spillner

Reaction score
Whats next Gen?

Moto's naming convention has little to do with their upgrades in tech. New kernels, chipsets and a much more efficient LTE radio would be their next gen IMO, and that's not really on the horizon for a while. Unless apps suddenly get very CPU intensive, (And I don't see the most useful ones doing that anytime soon), we're not going to need a huge leap to a next Gen device.

These phones are all same Gen with minor differences. If moto wants to do that, and keeps up with support, I could care less what the new Kevlar backing looks like. I buy my phone tech based on my use, not participating in the rat race of who's got the newest marketed bell and whistle. Personally, I think lineup they have now is smart as it corners users different needs and preferences.

For instance the D4 will be show in VZW stores all over the nation, but it's major draw, the LTE support, will only work in 10-15% of them. Unless you care about how it looks, the D3 might be a better phone for you tech wise and price wise.

Its still the next generation model regardless of how little of an upgrade you think it is. And releasing new models of the same line in 6 months is just plain wrong.

With the D4 coming around the corner is it any wonder that the D3 hasn't gotten any confirmation for ICS.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

mikedyk43

Reaction score
Its still the next generation model regardless of how little of an upgrade you think it is. And releasing new models of the same line in 6 months is just plain wrong.

With the D4 coming around the corner is it any wonder that the D3 hasn't gotten any confirmation for ICS.

The only way releasing the next generation phone six months later would be "wrong", is if nobody bought it and it lost money for the company. Any product release that makes a profit is the "right" choice. Stop worrying about ICS, I'm willing to bet that we will have it available to us (Hashcode) before Motorola releases their blurred version to any of their phones.

Malli

Reaction score
Does anybody know if the D4 will be coming to Europe (UK) at some point, like early next year please? Or maybe something like the Captivate? Been searching the internet for a couple of hours now and no info yet.
Thanks,

Malachi Jones.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
IMHO this battle between those who feel burned by MOTO and those who don't is silly. Those not burned should just quiet down and let the burned vent. You're not doing anything useful by telling these people to "just get over it".

I don't remember MOTO releasing new phones at this rate prior to the D3. I for one would have waited for the D4 had they told me that they'd have a phone with a keyboard, LTE and more memory within a few months. So yeah, if that sort of phone hits the market so fast after I got the D3, I'll feel a bit burned. I'll also consider it partly my fault though.

So this isn't always as simplistic an argument as manufacturers releasing new phones all the time, the pace has quickened considerably. So there isn't any reason to pile on anyone who feels burned.

And for those feeling burned by the announcement of the D4, has a release date been set yet? I remember thinking that it would be a year before LTE hit my area and by then I might be able to justify a new phone, so perhaps, depending on why you really feel burned, it won't seem as bad when the phone does come out. If that scenario pans out, and depending on the stats and battery size, I will probably bite the bullet just to get LTE.

spunker88

Reaction score
If Hashcode or anybody else can develop a usable ICS ROM, then I could care less about Motorola's support. They will probably ruin ICS by putting their Motoblur crap on it.

Erikbal

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing but honestly I love this phone and will stick with it and by the time I go to upgrade there will be something even bigger and better than the D4, although I REEEAAALLLLLLLYYYY want it! I just lost my job tho so paying my phone bill is hard enough. There's no way I'd have the money or could justify spending it. Especially when I've got a sweet pistol on lay a way I can't wait to get.

TyrantII

Reaction score
IMHO this battle between those who feel burned by MOTO and those who don't is silly. Those not burned should just quiet down and let the burned vent. You're not doing anything useful by telling these people to "just get over it".

Meh. Fact of life.

It's self pontificating and sleazy entitlement is annoying. I'll call them out.

If the phone out now isn't exactly the phone you want, put off a new purchase and wait until you find something spec'ed to your needs. If it is, buy it and learn to be happy with your decision. Crying because you no longer have the newest tech toy is just that, crying that life is not fair!

If you wanted 4G LTE, knew 4G LTE was being rolled out over the next 6 months; why purchase a D3 then complain about it? Why not wait to see the entire lineup of 4G LTE phones before making that purchase?

Last edited by a moderator:

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lets attempt to keep the language in check here.

bacK_N_87

Reaction score
The one thing that would really piss me off is if this phone released with very few issues. I was a foolish early adopter of the Droid 3 and I'm almost never an early adopter of anything. No phone is perfect but the Droid 3 had some major problems from camera, missing apps, freezes and radio issues. There's more but those are some I experienced. I could care less about LTE, I just want a phone that works correctly.

Also 3G is plenty fast. Have you ever used tethering before? I realize just how fast my 3G network really is and how much more powerful the computer is compared to a smartphone.

Sent from my DROID3

Last edited:

cwbcpa

Reaction score
I actually am not bothered by the Droid 4 being released so quickly. I am happy with my Droid 3. I don't understand why people dislike it so much. I have had it for about 2 months now and have had no real issues with it. The camera was my biggest issue and for some reason that seems to have improved. I did not go with a LTE phone on purpose though so maybe that is why I am not upset. I will wait until late next year for my next upgrade and should be happy with my Droid 3 until then.

Reaction score
Im still stoked that i can brag to the brand new D4 owners about all the things my older phone has that their newer one doesnt...

- World Phone
- Already unlocked bootloader and tons of awesome roms
- ICS will most likely be with the D3 before D4
- Our D3's are bulletproof.
-Cyanogenmod on d4? puhleasssse we barely have it for our D3's the D4 is gonna be wayyyyyy behind.

I feel like moto is releasing the D4 just for xmas time/4G and the Droid 4 is going to be the premature release of the droid 5, not the D3 being premature of the D4, thus causing the D4 owners to hate themselves because half way through next year we'll all be seeing D5's anyways when the iPhone 5 releases.

In many ways I feel like the droid 4 - although a newer phone with some extra capabilities - is going to be released and already be behind every phone out.
i guess it will make a good stocking stuffer, but as far as release specs go im thoroughly unimpressed with the D4.