Anyone have an old OG Droid? Help me out?

kill00

Reaction score
Well, I have a Droid 1 w/ 2.2.3. It works perfectly. Clean ESN, charges properly. But whenever I connect it to a computer it shows up as "unknown usb device." I've tried installing drivers, etc, but to no avail.

I know many of you guys have since upgraded from your OG Droids.

Durandgir

Reaction score
1.What operating system are you on?
2.Can you still enter USB mass storage mode?
3.Have you tried different USB slots?

OP
K

kill00

Reaction score
2.2.3 sadly
I can not enter USB mass storage mode as nothing shows up in notification bar.
I have tried 3 different slots on 3 different computers.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is debugging enabled?

And I think he was asking what OS the computer is.

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
on my old ones the sd card slot is becoming worn and I just have to re adjust how the card is sitting and that usually fix is it for me.

Durandgir

Reaction score
Yeah I meant the OS your computer is on. There was someone recently with this problem.they ended up switching the battery I believe and it worked again.it could had been a coincidence though.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
K

kill00

Reaction score
Windows 7 32bit.

Yeah from my mannnny searches on google, I found that this issue fixed itself by either replacing the usb cable (tried) or changing the battery (I need to try, but no other battery).

Also, I'll try placing the sd card differently.

djspy

Reaction score
I had the same problem once and it was the kernel. I was running Pete's GPA Rom but found his kernel to be utterly slow so i flashed another kernel and that happened. I contacted Pete about it and right away he told me you probably flashed an outdated kernel. I flashed back his Kernel and everything was back to normal.

OP
K

kill00

Reaction score
Crap. I can't flash a new kernal or anything if im not rooted

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
What drivers did u install (link)?

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk

snowman

Reaction score
silly answer but on the D-1 in settings you had to manually turn on and off the usb storage before it would reconize?

KissDemon

Reaction score
Try these drivers they are official from Motorola and worked good for me. I had issues with what I downloaded from Motorola when I went searching on my own so here you go if you don't already have 32-bit or 64-bit.

What cord are you using? Original or after-market?

Can't think of anything else, the cord can make a big difference.

vey

Reaction score
I got my OG about 9 months ago. Motorola came out with some new drivers within the last couple of months that work a lot better on my XP based PC. USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA

What drove me crazy was that I had to switch "on" USB on the phone before the drive would be seen. I saw plenty of references to it on the boards, but no instructions.

You have to slide down the notification bar (which is across the top) with your finger and choose and turn on "USB Storage" before the SD card is recognized by the PC as a drive.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
If nothing else works, the USB port is either fried or physically worn out. It happens, and wouldn't surprise me in the least on a device as old as the OG Droid.

I know physical hardware issues aren't something people want to face the reality of, but not EVERYTHING is a software issue. Hardware does eventually wear out completely. The problem with flaky USB devices is that if you keep messing with it, trying to get it to work, you run the risk of damaging your PC's USB ports, or the entire motherboard.

snowman

Reaction score
Thanks Vey this is what Imeant on the D-1 you had to manually turn it off-on for the Sd card
I got my OG about 9 months ago. Motorola came out with some new drivers within the last couple of months that work a lot better on my XP based PC. USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA

What drove me crazy was that I had to switch "on" USB on the phone before the drive would be seen. I saw plenty of references to it on the boards, but no instructions.

You have to slide down the notification bar (which is across the top) with your finger and choose and turn on "USB Storage" before the SD card is recognized by the PC as a drive.