Root 2.2.3 without PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kill00

Reaction score
Well... I have a Droid 2.2.3. Whenever I connect it yo my windows 7, it shows up as "device has malfunctioned, device.. unknown" everytime. I have tried reinstalling drivers, etc but the Computer never recognizes it as a Motorola device.

Also, my phone doesnt charge when the phone is on and connected to the pc, but when the phone is connected to the PC and I turn the phone off, it charges (but then it wont turn on unless I disconnect it).

Also, whenever it is connected, it never shows the USB icon/ or anything in the notification bar.

So, I havent been able to root it yet. I have tried on 3 other computers (XP, 7, 7) and 3 other USB cables. Same results.

I want to root my Droid 2.2.3, I have tried z4root app, but it doesnt suppotr 2.2+

How can I root my Droid without a PC, can I use terminal, etc and do it on the phone itself?

OP
K

kill00

Reaction score
Well... I have a Droid 2.2.3. Whenever I connect it to my windows 7, it shows up as "device has malfunctioned, device.. unknown" everytime. I have tried reinstalling drivers, etc but the Computer never recognizes it as a Motorola device.

Also, my phone doesn't charge when the phone is on and connected to the pc, but when the phone is connected to the PC and I turn the phone off, it charges (but then it wont turn on unless I disconnect it).

Also, whenever it is connected, it never shows the USB icon/ or anything in the notification bar. So, I havent been able to root it yet. I have tried on 3 other computers (XP, 7, 7) and 3 other USB cables. Same results.

I want to root my Droid 2.2.3, I have tried z4root app, but it doesn't support 2.2+

How can I root my Droid without a PC, can I use terminal, etc and do it on the phone itself?

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Closed.

Please do not post multiple threads for the same issue. Your other thread HERE will remain open.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
The method you have linked there is for a Droid 2. I am assuming since you are running 2.2.3 that you have a Droid 1, is that correct?

OP
K

kill00

Reaction score
Yes. That is correct. Droid 1 w/ 2.2.3

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Then in that case I am pretty sure you need a PC to do it at this point. From what I understand all the "one-clicks" or apps have not been updated since the latest update. If you would like I can get you a link of a method that will work, it just requires a PC.

OP
K

kill00

Reaction score
Ah. I understand. It's ok. I found the SOC method. Thanks anyways

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Let me know how it goes. I was lead to believe (read it somewhere, not here) SOC does not work on 2.2.3 but if it does that would be good to know.

fenriswolf039

Reaction score
Ah. I understand. It's ok. I found the SOC method. Thanks anyways

I need help here too... never rooted my D1, been shopping for new phones but unhappy with the selection available.

I really just want to overclock this thing so I don't have to wait so long for everything to happen.

Help!

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Are you also running 2.2.3? As I said earlier I believe you will need a PC to do it since the apps that rooted the Droid 1 have not been updated in quite some time. If you need a link to the PC method I will try and grab the link for you.

fenriswolf039

Reaction score
OK, I got it rooted, tried installing the latest "stable" Cyanogen mod, 7.1.0 and it just gets stuck in a boot loop.

I really just want to overclock. What's the simplest way to accomplish this? I don't care about themes and other stuff... the phone is just too slow.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
What steps did you follow to install the ROM? And are you sure it was for the correct device?

fenriswolf039

Reaction score
I downloaded the Rom Manager Premium, selected Download mod, selected CyanogenMod, then it gave me a list. First I chose 7.1.0 because the dev's website said it was stable for the original Droid. That boot looped me. Then I went to my backup, and repeated the process. This time I selected 7.0.3, also listed as a "stable release" .

Boot loop again.

Do I even need Cyanogen to overclock? What I've read so far has left me a little unclear.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
OK, I got it rooted, tried installing the latest "stable" Cyanogen mod, 7.1.0 and it just gets stuck in a boot loop.

I really just want to overclock. What's the simplest way to accomplish this? I don't care about themes and other stuff... the phone is just too slow.

Overclocking is done with a kernel. Apply the kernel you want, then use a program such as SetCPU to adjust the frequency and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.