Not open for further replies.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
And what steps are you following to install these ROMs? That would make a big difference as to whether or not you are successful.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I downloaded the Rom Manager Premium, selected Download mod, selected CyanogenMod, then it gave me a list. First I chose 7.1.0 because the dev's website said it was stable for the original Droid. That boot looped me. Then I went to my backup, and repeated the process. This time I selected 7.0.3, also listed as a "stable release" .

Boot loop again.

Do I even need Cyanogen to overclock? What I've read so far has left me a little unclear.

Ok lets start from the beginning. How did you root?

When you installed RM Premium, did you flash clockwork mod recovery?

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Also, the first link in my signature is a ROM flashing guide. Feel free to peruse that.

fenriswolf039

Reaction score
OK, since I last posted I've got it running in (it says) ultra low voltage at 1.0Ghz. I've got my wifi tether going, very cool.

It's a Chevy kernel, basically just for overclocking from what I read about it. I'd like to change the appearance a bit now, do I need something like Cyanogen for that, or do I now just basically have a lot more themes available to me?

I tried 3 different Cyanogen installs, all have failed. The Chevy kernel went right in and worked perfectly. Now I have this configuration backed up along with my stock configuration.

Chevy and Cyanogen... apples and oranges? Kernel vs... what? Is Cyanogen just a mod I install over the kernel?

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
No it is not something you install over a kernel, it is an entire ROM which would include it's own kernel. And as long as you got it going you don't need it really but did you try to do the install using guidot's guide?

fenriswolf039

Reaction score
yes, I followed Guidot's guide the first three times with Cyanogen, and I did the 3 latest versions, in order from newest to oldest. They all just boot looped and I had to pull the battery each time.

Chevy's went in without a fuss using the same method. This is all fine and well, I guess it's really just some theme variation I'm looking for now.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Are you running Chevy's full ROM or just one of his kernels?

fenriswolf039

Reaction score
So... I decided to try Chevy's SS Gingerbread 5.4 and I selected the same speed I had using just the kernel.... and it boot loops me.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Ok I am a little confused as to what you mean. You flashed the whole ROM, correct? Did it boot up at all and then you flashed a kernel causing a boot loop? I am asking because you mentioned picking the same speed, just want to make sure I know exactly what you mean.

fenriswolf039

Reaction score
I had the "2.6.32-ulowV-1.0Ghz-ChevyNo1" working fine. It has a regular boot screen. Only way I can tell it's there is by opening the settings->about phone menu.

Then I opened the Rom Manager
and installed the SS Gingerbread 5.4 which asked me to choose from a range of speeds and voltages, just like the first one did.

It sends me to a cool looking boot screen that just keeps loading itself over and over.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
I am not sure where the issue is coming in if you are using the guide, which I believe has a ROM Manager section. You could try to install the ROM from within recovery and not use ROM Manager, which is the way I do it and normally recommend.

Dave Lister

Reaction score
The most common reason for boot loops when installing a new ROM is not wiping data and cache.

fenriswolf039

Reaction score
That did the trick.

Now I have a new problem... my Google voice widget has disappeared.... any thoughts?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.