Anyone else rocking the D3 naked?

STVA

Reaction score
Just like with the OG Droid, I bought a case and screen protectors, but I already can't stand them and want to get rid of them for good. Anyone use their D3 since launch with no case? Has there been any damage? I generally don't drop my phone so I'm not worried about that.

DELUXDroid

Reaction score
I don't bother with cases. They're burdensome and clunky. I like the phone the way it was intended to be. What's the point of having a case on it for 2+ years and then throwing it into your desk in mint condition when you get a new phone?

akhi216

Reaction score
I don't bother with cases. They're burdensome and clunky. I like the phone the way it was intended to be. What's the point of having a case on it for 2+ years and then throwing it into your desk in mint condition when you get a new phone?

I'd be the first to tell a person that I'm a bit on the slow side, thus I have to have a case. Anyway, you don't have to put the phone in your desk in mint condition; there's always eBay.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

DELUXDroid

Reaction score
Cases chafe the phone even worse sometimes when dirt & dust get inside.

I like to also keep my old phones. They're not worth much after 2+ years anyways and you never know when I (or someone I know) might need a phone for a certain carrier in an emergency.

LT*

Reaction score
I have no case on mine, and up until last week, no screen protector either. About a month ago I dropped it from my hand to the counter top. After that I noticed 5 or 6 hairline scratches on the screen. I thought this was gorilla glass, but I'm not so sure now. My OG has not one scratch after almost 2 years with far worse drops. I'm now using a Steinhal screen protector. I really hate using a screen protector, but with how easily it scratched, I can't go without one now.

Riley

Reaction score
Caseless here. I'm pretty careful with my phones. Only scratches I have are on that metal framing area around the camera lense that is slightly raised out from the battery cover.

TyrannoTaurus

Reaction score
I don't use a case, but I'm considering getting a Zagg Invisible Shield. There's a really tiny scratch on the screen. I'm sure it's not the glass itself that is scratched, but instead, the anti-glare coating on the glass. On another note, my Droid 3 did a faceplant on the concrete when I was drunk and it did chip a little bit of the raised edge around the screen, up near the top. It doesn't look horrible and it's really tiny, but it IS noticeable. The glass was totally unaffected by the drop. I think the little scratch must have come from something in my pocket. I can't stand cases for slide out phones. Far too bulky.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
A case? Why would anyone every drop their baby? :)

I do use a screen protector as I sometimes get sand/dirt in my pocket and a scratch on my screen would p me o.

svickstc

Reaction score
No case here, just a screen protector...

I am one that believes a case sometimes scratches the phone more when dirt gets behind it...

There is no real good options out there right now for the D3, nor do I see any coming soon...

I was also thinking about the invisible shield but not sure how it would be with the D3

spasch

Reaction score
Totally naked here. The cases chewed up my d2g way worse. No scratches anywhere. A couple of wear marks on the rubberized battery cover is all I have.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
There's a really tiny scratch on the screen. I'm sure it's not the glass itself that is scratched, but instead, the anti-glare coating on the glass.
There are a few threads elsewhere on the D3 forum that have pretty much confirmed: SEVERAL people are noticing minor scratches on their D3s, even after treating them pretty carefully. I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard, "Is this Gorilla Glass??? Why is my D1 screen perfect after 2 years?" I think the consensus is it's the anti-glare coating that's the problem. :(

Two thoughts:

(1) If the theory is correct, we should probably put it in a sticky! I don't think I can take another 37 threads on the issue over the next 6 months.

(2) Based on maybe dozens of user reports, anyone without a screen protector is probably just coasting on pure luck for now. Count me in that crowd...no protector for me so far, but I assume it's just a matter of time before... ...nah, I can't even say it!

-Matt

KZ_259

Reaction score
a case with a belt swivel and a kickstand and a screen protector. i dont see how a case is a burden?

Droid3Guy

Reaction score
I'm rocking it "naked" right now after almost 2 weeks of owning the phone. I plan on getting a Zagg screen protector, but I want one of the dry ones. I've heard some horror stories about trying to install the wet ones. I'd rather not take the chance of solution leaking into my phone, or something like that. Problem is, I can't seem to find the dry ones, not even on the website last I checked. I definitely want to at least put something on the screen anyway. I had my G1 for a whole week and had scratches on it already. I'm being very careful with this phone, and I'm sure this is better glass than what the G1 had, but I'd still rather not chance it for much longer.

KZ_259

Reaction score
I'm rocking it "naked" right now after almost 2 weeks of owning the phone. I plan on getting a Zagg screen protector, but I want one of the dry ones. I've heard some horror stories about trying to install the wet ones. I'd rather not take the chance of solution leaking into my phone, or something like that. Problem is, I can't seem to find the dry ones, not even on the website last I checked. I definitely want to at least put something on the screen anyway. I had my G1 for a whole week and had scratches on it already. I'm being very careful with this phone, and I'm sure this is better glass than what the G1 had, but I'd still rather not chance it for much longer.

i've never heard of wet/dry screen protectors. what are they?