Any reason to not get a Vigor(Rezound)?

loki993

Reaction score
Rezound vs Galaxy Nexus? Is the nexus worth the extra hundred?

So Ive seen the sale and the Rezound, I hate that name, is 99 bucks. Seems like a great deal. I just don't want to end up with a phone I wont like. So is there any reason to not buy this phone? The price makes it very attractive to say the least.

so Ive changed my mind a bit and its between the Nexus and the Rezound.

The Nexus for the customizability stock android and resale value

The Rezound because its 99 dollars right now and is nearly as good as the Nexus, but not nearly as customizable. Maybe itll come around though? other thing is that Rezound prices will tank once the next new HTC comes out and the Nexus should hold fairly well for a while since its a dev phone.

Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Have you had any hands-on time with it?

For $99 it's a steal imo, and that's coming from a Nexus owner.

OP
L

loki993

Reaction score
Have you had any hands-on time with it?

For $99 it's a steal imo, and that's coming from a Nexus owner.

A little bit at the store when I looked at all of them. Actually the Rezound felt the best to me at that time, I still wasn't sure between that or the Razr. Now Im just a little worried about battery life. Though it does seem like one of those too good to pass up deals.

Thing is too though Ill kick myself is the release some quad core monster right after it at MWC. That wont be 99 dollars though either lol.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
HTC devices are known to have pretty subpar to decent battery life. As a former Incredible owner I can attest to that, but I even managed to make the Inc last throughout the day.

As for quadcore, I wouldn't worry too much about those. ICS is optimized for dualcore devices, but if you think the quadcore will help that much then it's up to you. I personally don't see any benefit to quadcore when it's first released, especially if Android is still on ICS.

Reaction score
Get the rezound. This is the only phone I have owned that I have had 0 issues with. I can't comment on battery because I keep mine on charger most of the time. You won't regret your purchase.

calhob

Reaction score
99 Rezound

I paid full price on day 1 and would do it again. I had to have it replaced a few weeks later but have been fine since. Pros, excellent camera, blistering speed, probably the best audio AND display on any phone today, even comes with beats earbuds if you care about that. Cons, sub par battery life approx 8 hrs in normal/heavy use, which is normal for this kind of phone but far worse than say a Iphone ( which has a smaller screen and no LTE) Buy a extended battery or keep a charger nearby. I dont know where you got the idea that Moto was built better, I would dispute that. Right NOW, this is the best phone available on Verizon, it just doesnt get the publicity. It feels much better in my hand than the Razr and I dont think its thick at all. If I could find a 4g LTE phone with a 16 hr battery life I might say otherwise, but the fact that you can get it for 99 bucks seals the deal.

OP
L

loki993

Reaction score
I paid full price on day 1 and would do it again. I had to have it replaced a few weeks later but have been fine since. Pros, excellent camera, blistering speed, probably the best audio AND display on any phone today, even comes with beats earbuds if you care about that. Cons, sub par battery life approx 8 hrs in normal/heavy use, which is normal for this kind of phone but far worse than say a Iphone ( which has a smaller screen and no LTE) Buy a extended battery or keep a charger nearby. I dont know where you got the idea that Moto was built better, I would dispute that. Right NOW, this is the best phone available on Verizon, it just doesnt get the publicity. It feels much better in my hand than the Razr and I dont think its thick at all. If I could find a 4g LTE phone with a 16 hr battery life I might say otherwise, but the fact that you can get it for 99 bucks seals the deal.

I'm coming from a D2 that has never gotten very good battery life, so its not a huge deal. It would be nice to have something that can at least get me through the day though. I guess when I say the battery life is a concern I just mean in comparison with other devices like it. Ive heard people say the Nexus can get as bad as 4 hours, now that's total screen on time though I think they said. Ive heard all the horror stories about the Tbot too, of course I know this isnt anything like the Tbolt. Im not too keen on the extended battery because its already a thick phone and Im not sure I want to make it any thicker. Like I said as is it fits my hand really nicely.

Beats are ok, but its not a huge thing. I am a bit of an audio guy and I have my own opinions about the beats stuff. The headphones are decent, but probably nothing to write home about, but are still far better then what you would normally get so thats cool.

As for the build quality its just everyone generally says Motos have the best build quality. The Razr is aluminium, gorilla glass and kevlar, or so they say lol. So on paper it probably is "built" better. However how much of that will translate into real world usage? Im thinking probably not a lot. In day to day use Im betting you would have a very hard time telling the difference, if there really is any. So honestly even though I did mention it its probably a moot point.

Also at this point I can get both the Rezound or the Razr for 99..well actually 69 because I can stack my loyalty discount. Also the Gnex for 169, but still not sure I like that phone, but the very strong dev support and potential resale value does make it attractive. Im still pretty sure I cant deal with the signal issues it has though.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
So Ive seen the sale and the Rezound, I hate that name, is 99 bucks. Seems like a great deal. I just don't want to end up with a phone I wont like.
Well it is moot now...it isn't $99 anymore. You waited too long heh heh.

It will probably be $99 again eventually.

So is there any reason to not buy this phone? The price makes it very attractive to say the least.
I bought it at $230, and feel like I got a bargain. I love this phone. There is no other phone, on any carrier, I would rather have.

The Nexus for the customizability stock android and resale value. The Rezound because its 99 dollars right now and is nearly as good as the Nexus, but not nearly as customizable.
I cant think of a way the Nexus is better. It is different, but not better. It has NFC, but lacks an SD slot. Nexus has vanilla android, but the Rezound has better 4G and GPS. They both have strengths and weaknesses.

The signal issue is really the main reason I cant recommend the Nexus to friends and family...the radio is just not trustworthy from what I have read. Yeah yeah, it isn't universal, but it is widespread enough that I could not recommend it to people I know who actually need it to work as a phone. I personally could deal with it, but I don't think they could.

I'm coming from a D2 that has never gotten very good battery life, so its not a huge deal. It would be nice to have something that can at least get me through the day though.
Neither the Nexus nor the Rezound will do that. Neither of them has great battery life. I dont think one is significantly better than the other in this area.

That being said, I have the extended battery on my Rezound, and it is awesome. I do not charge from the time I leave work...I got in to work this morning with 50% remaining. I have gone 24 hours between charges before. And this is with 4G on all the time and brightness on full.

The battery will make both of them "thick", but I actually kind of like it.

As for the build quality its just everyone generally says Motos have the best build quality. The Razr is aluminium, gorilla glass and kevlar, or so they say lol. So on paper it probably is "built" better. However how much of that will translate into real world usage?
A lot. Moto does have the best build quality IMO. That does not necessarily mean the other phones suck, but build quality is one of their strengths.

OP
L

loki993

Reaction score
Well it is moot now...it isn't $99 anymore. You waited too long heh heh.

It will probably be $99 again eventually.

I bought it at $230, and feel like I got a bargain. I love this phone. There is no other phone, on any carrier, I would rather have.

I cant think of a way the Nexus is better. It is different, but not better. It has NFC, but lacks an SD slot. Nexus has vanilla android, but the Rezound has better 4G and GPS. They both have strengths and weaknesses.

The signal issue is really the main reason I cant recommend the Nexus to friends and family...the radio is just not trustworthy from what I have read. Yeah yeah, it isn't universal, but it is widespread enough that I could not recommend it to people I know who actually need it to work as a phone. I personally could deal with it, but I don't think they could.

Neither the Nexus nor the Rezound will do that. Neither of them has great battery life. I dont think one is significantly better than the other in this area.

That being said, I have the extended battery on my Rezound, and it is awesome. I do not charge from the time I leave work...I got in to work this morning with 50% remaining. I have gone 24 hours between charges before. And this is with 4G on all the time and brightness on full.

The battery will make both of them "thick", but I actually kind of like it.

A lot. Moto does have the best build quality IMO. That does not necessarily mean the other phones suck, but build quality is one of their strengths.

I got an email from Verizon actually, so I have the same deal until the end of the month.

I cant deal with a phone that doesnt have a good signal. Im on Verizon because they're supposed to have the best network, so having a phone that drops the network all the time is kinda counterproductive. Now Im not sure if the issues the Nexus is having are software related or hardware. If it was software I wold imagine it would be fixed eventually and I could deal with that. Im just not so sure its software.

I really dont care about NFC so thats not a big deal. As for vanilla android, someones gotta have a Vanilla android rom for the rezound right?

OP
L

loki993

Reaction score
By the way I went with the Rezound, the price was just too good and the Nexus just doesnt seem to be worth a hundred dollars more. It should be here tomorrow

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
You made this thread awhile back. You still didn't get it?:p

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Rezound is the only LTE phone where I didn't have any issues with dropped signal. Plus it can be switched to normal 3G/evdo - it and the Tbolt are the only ones that can - when LTE goes down. The rest of the LTE phones will struggle to get even 3G in that scenario.

OP
L

loki993

Reaction score
You made this thread awhile back. You still didn't get it?:p

Lol I waffled a bit and just ordered it yesterday. Had to wait until I knew I had the extra cash, even though at a cost of 69 dollars with the hundred off deal and and my 30 dollar loyalty discount it wasnt too bad. They also threw in the half off battery deal for me so I got that too. Dont know if Ill use it though.

Insidious

Reaction score
I got an email from Verizon actually, so I have the same deal until the end of the month.

I cant deal with a phone that doesnt have a good signal. Im on Verizon because they're supposed to have the best network, so having a phone that drops the network all the time is kinda counterproductive. Now Im not sure if the issues the Nexus is having are software related or hardware. If it was software I wold imagine it would be fixed eventually and I could deal with that. Im just not so sure its software.

I really dont care about NFC so thats not a big deal. As for vanilla android, someones gotta have a Vanilla android rom for the rezound right?

yup, I'm running one :).

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums