Another battery thread

rfranken

Reaction score
Battery life isn't good enough.
3 hours of being unplugged. Zero use. down to 76% already.
cell standby 70%
phone idle 20%
screen 10%

That isn't good enough. I've tried Juice defender for several days...it did nothing to help so I uninstalled.
screen at Auto. (but that doesn't matter....i'm not using the phone...just sitting idle it takes waaay to much battery.
WHY? i understand if i use it...the big screen the data being pulled in. but just sitting on standby and idle, why such a battery drain when not in use??

mkthnx001

Reaction score
Are you in a place with very little signal? The battery will decrease as it is constantly searching for signal if that's the case.

EDIT: Mentioned the above because of your percentage of usage going towards "cell standby".

Last edited:

cincycats51

Reaction score
Dont worry man. I have the EXACT same issue. I unplug it at 5 AM every morning, go into work, and at my 8:00 break, which is the first time I check my phone since I got up, I look at it and its at 70% battery....Makes 0 sense

OP
R

rfranken

Reaction score
I'm at work...and it is FULL 4 bars of solid 3G strength here. always.

I got my phone on the first day it was out. july 15th. i have let it completely drain 2 or 3 times fully.

mkthnx001

Reaction score
Than it must have something to do with the widgets you have running, etc.

By the way, you said 76% in your first post of this thread. Android only displays battery life in increments of 10 before hitting 15%. Where did you come up with 76?

OP
R

rfranken

Reaction score
Battery Left is the battery widget i have going to show me the exact percentage.
I have the darn thing 100% calibrated for accuracy but it is usually showing a vastly different number than what the stock battery thing shows. can be off by 20% or so.

if widgets or whatever are using up my battery is there a way to know. That screen that says phone idle and cell standby isn't very useful if its widgets sucking it down.
I use the built in weather widget...and have google calendar.

mkthnx001

Reaction score
Is that the only widgets you have? It might even be the battery widget that's causing such a drain, seeing as how it updates for every 1%. Than again I've never used said widget so wouldn't know.

A good application to find out which apps/widgets are using up battery/CPU is "SystemPanel App / Task Manager".

getboth

Reaction score
My wife had the exact same problem, and yesterday her phone wouldn't even charge. I looked it up and someone recommended taking out the battery. I tried that and phone started charging and this morning she told me she still had a full charge from last night. previous nights she would have half the charge by morning.

Maybe a fix, we'll have to wait and see how it does in the next few days.

OP
R

rfranken

Reaction score
I've pulled the battery a couple times.
I do have Android System Info.
I've watched it work sorting by CPU usage many times and nothing seems to be using more than 0% when i'm in there...exempt for the Android system itself and the system info app itself when i'm in there.

I think the weather widget doesn't update that much....cuz when i open it...i can see when it last updated for a split second before it updates to the current time cuz I opened it.

last week i used a task killer program pretty religiously. it did Nothing at all to help battery life and made the phone chug a bit here at there. so i uninstalled that a week ago.

I leave off wifi, bt, gps and all that until i'm actually going to use it.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Standard answer: These phones suck up a lot of juice. 2 hours and 51 minutes since unplugging 2 hours and 52 minutes since unplugging, I'm down to 80%.

I did plug in briefly to do download a file manager. So really it's more like 4 hours.

The fix is to buy a spare battery. By a charger for wall, or car wherever you need it and live with it. A docking station for when it's idle.

I don't have an X but battery use is just a fact of life. That's why you see 500,000 of them throughout the forum.

OP
R

rfranken

Reaction score
yeah i know.
the only thing i dont like is how it uses TONS of battery life while its locked and the screen is off. I have no problems with how fast it chews it up when i'm using it.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Yeah I still have not gone back to the DX, but I am pretty sure I am ready to jump back in. I took it back because of battery life, but I think it is just something I will deal with. I have a BB Tour now and I can go two full days on steady use (for me anyway), just have to realize other phones can't do that. The positives of the Droid outway the bad battery life.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah I still have not gone back to the DX, but I am pretty sure I am ready to jump back in. I took it back because of battery life, but I think it is just something I will deal with. I have a BB Tour now and I can go two full days on steady use (for me anyway), just have to realize other phones can't do that. The positives of the Droid outway the bad battery life.

If you got a Blackberry Storm 2 you wouldn't see that much difference in battery life. Yes, it does last longer but it's only a matter of a few hours.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Yeah I never like the touchscreen on either Storm phone. I do however like the looks of that BB Slider they have coming out for ATT. But still think I will go with Droid.