Another battery question - Do you leave GPS on?

bodean

Reaction score
I left my phone on all night, woke up to it dead. Do most of you leave GPS on?
I'm trying to see the advantages of leaving GPS on if I don't use the phone for gps navigation. Right now, seems all it does for me is give me updated local weather. Other than that, not seeing a benefit. Most users on here turn GPS off?

usermmg

Reaction score
I leave my gps off unless I'm using it.. gps will eat up battery due to the fact that its constantly getting a "fix" (locking) to satellites. Also turning on and off the GPS is pretty quick, so its really a non issue for me.

M1dnite

Reaction score
I use locale with GPS plug in to set times for the GPS to run. When I'm at work at my desk, no need for GPS, and when im sleeping i dont need GPS..

jbjtkbw00

Reaction score
I leave my GPS on all the time. That and bluetooth. My battery runs very well, but I'm also conscious to keep it topped off when I'm sitting at my desk, in the car, or at home on the computer. That way, when I'm away from home/office, I don't have to worry about losing battery power.

And once a week, I plan to drain it completely to keep it in good condition.

mrpbjnance

Reaction score
I leave GPS on. There are a lot of APPs that use it .
I found that turning Bluetooth and WIFI off unless I use it helps and turning the brightness down on the screen and let the screen timeout after 30 secs (sometimes a pain) I get good battery life. There was an article on PC World I think that said we just have to get into different habits. I just charge my phone overnight.
The battery life does seem to improve after you charge it up a few times.

lauriep

Reaction score
I leave mine on, but I also use the dock at night so phone is always charged.

How much battery does the GPS really use if one of the associated apps (Maps, Nav, weather) isn't actually being used? When the icon is in the status bar, isn't that when it is really using battery?

otaku

Reaction score
How much battery does the GPS really use if one of the associated apps (Maps, Nav, weather) isn't actually being used? When the icon is in the status bar, isn't that when it is really using battery?

This is exactly what I thought. Everytime I open a GPS app it takes a while for it to get a new fix, etc...so it must not really be running in the background with a fix unless I am actively navigating, etc. right? Otherwise, it would be seamless and always have an almost immediate fix instead of taking a few seconds.

ericwiz

Reaction score
I leave the GPS on all the time as well as the WiFi radio. I use WiFi at home and at work so it just makes sense for me.

I charge the droid each nite in the docking station and I get a whole day without recharge.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
no need to leave the GPS on if you're not using it right?

bhall238

Reaction score
I turn my GPS, and Wi-Fi off every night. I open weather bug when I get up and by the time I finish brushing my teeth (sooner actually, I am sure) I know how to dress. The weather here changes a lot :).

bluedust

Reaction score
I left my phone on all night, woke up to it dead. Do most of you leave GPS on?
I'm trying to see the advantages of leaving GPS on if I don't use the phone for gps navigation. Right now, seems all it does for me is give me updated local weather. Other than that, not seeing a benefit. Most users on here turn GPS off?

I keep GPS off, but I have a switch on the desktop to turn it on easily.

Reaction score
I leave my GPS on specifically for Mobile Defense. If ever my phone is lost/stolen, I want to make sure I can get an exact lock on its location. Since GPS can't be remotely activated at this time, I leave it on. I still have enough battery to last me at least one day, and sometimes two full days if my usage is low.

bluedust

Reaction score
I leave my GPS on specifically for Mobile Defense. If ever my phone is lost/stolen, I want to make sure I can get an exact lock on its location. Since GPS can't be remotely activated at this time, I leave it on. I still have enough battery to last me at least one day, and sometimes two full days if my usage is low.

I wish I could say the same but I can't stop messing with this damn thing. :icon_ banana: