"Use wireless networks"/GPS

mynameiserich

Reaction score
Hello all,

One thing I absolutely want to work on my phone is my weather app using geolocation to determine my location and give me the current locations weather. I really enjoy this feature, and I know the app only accesses the GPS for a quick second every so often to determine location. I do want my battery to be really good as well though. If I leave on "Use wireless networks" does this automatically turn my Wifi on? I know that kills the battery quick. Or will it just turn it on for a brief second when needed to determine my location?

Thanks in advance

Caindris

Reaction score
Use wireless network, Use GPS, and Use Wifi are all different settings. You don't need to have GPS turned on to update the weather app - atleast not if you use any sane weather app. GPS for weather would be a bit overkill unless you're expecting a localized thunder storm over only your house.

The Use Wireless that you're inquiring to is bouncing off the cell towers... which it does anyway unless you disable this setting or go into airplane mode.

OP
M

mynameiserich

Reaction score
Yeah but for it to update at my current location (when i am at work it automatically changes to that town and when at home it changes to that town) I am assuming it uses GPS and or cell towers. And does dissabling the cell towers save battery?

Caindris

Reaction score
Yeah but for it to update at my current location (when i am at work it automatically changes to that town and when at home it changes to that town) I am assuming it uses GPS and or cell towers. And does dissabling the cell towers save battery?

Well yes.. I mean all phones use cell towers to detect your current location and update accordingly. There's no need for GPS for this. If you disable the cell towers that will save your battery but you may as well turn off your phone because all you have if a fancy paperweight that can't get phone calls.