Another battery question - Do you leave GPS on?

closumbit

Reaction score
they can't force you to get the data plan, but if you intend to use it on the verizon network they can. they do the same thing with BBs..

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I leave it on...No battery issues that I am aware of...

Aluminum21

Reaction score
how do you turn off the GPS? I've used it before, I didn't realize it was always on

There's a Power widget you can pop out, it allows you to quickly turn off bluetooth, wifi, gps, brightness, sync..

thanks

this is the first smart phone I bought, if I am in a place that has wifi (university/coffee shop) should I use the 3G or wifi?

bluedust

Reaction score

rlb

Reaction score
GPS has been on since the day I bought it......I charge it every night. I also pay the electric bill.

Nobody cares how long your GPS has been on. And nobody cares if you pay the electric bill. But if what you're trying to say is that running your GPS receiver all the time doesn't use any of your limited battery power, you'd be wrong.

That's what this thread is about.

Leave asshole comments and you'll get asshole responses. I commented on my experience with leaving the GPS on, and threw in an extra line just for you. The only question from the OP is whether or not it was on. My statement doesn't imply that the GPS isn't using power, only that it's not using much.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Answer is, the GPS is constantly trying to maintain contact with the satellites regardless of what "app" you're using or not using.
Not true at all. Watch your notification bar. The GPS receiver has an icon just like all your other wireless status icons. The receiver doesn't attempt to obtain a lock on its own.

Right. Same as if you leave wifi and bt on all the time, they're only running when you're connected to a wifi network or another bt device.....right. BTW, you'd be wrong, bud. If they're on, THEY'RE ON.
Yes, if they're on they're on. No one's debating that. You're failing to grasp that the GPS receiver consumes a lot of battery power when it is actively acquiring satellite lock. Leave GPS on without any GPS apps running for 30 minutes. Note how much battery power you've consumed. Now use Google Nav -- pick a place 100 miles away and drive for 30 minutes. Stop it and check your battery. Big difference. Test it out for yourself before you make your next post.

The latter situation will eat your battery. The former will not.

Leave asshole comments and you'll get asshole responses.
Or on a lot of ignore lists.

Nobody cares how long your GPS has been on. And nobody cares if you pay the electric bill. But if what you're trying to say is that running your GPS receiver all the time doesn't use any of your limited battery power, you'd be wrong.

That's what this thread is about.
No it's not. Go and read the OP again. He asked is most turned the GPS off.

You've gone all Don Quixote thinking that people are saying that the GPS magically doesn't consume any power. No one in this thread ever said that yet you keep operating on that assumption for some reason. What they have said is that leaving GPS on in the background and inactive won't consume a significant amount of battery. Whether or not that means an individual should consider turning the receiver off or not is a personal judgment call.

Good day, sir!

Last edited:

m3kilpat

Reaction score
I agree with Takeshi. I leave my gps on 24/7. It uses practically no power. How do I know? By checking my battery use. GPS doesn't even show up. The only time gps is actively running is when you use an app that needs it. Therefore, just leave it on. I used to turn it on only when using maps, but I got tired of doing that since it wasn't helping me save my battery anyways.