Android Pay To Launch On September 16th! According To Verizon Leak!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Well, well, well, what do we have here. An internal memo coming out of Verizon just leaked showing that the release date for Android pay will be on September 16th. This is great news coming from the carrier that would not support Google Wallet for what seemed to be an eternity, and the same company that is unlikely to support the "real game changing" mobile payment method, Samsung Pay. Android Pay is better than no mobile payment from Big Red i guess. Since this is an NFC based pay system it should be able to work at any kiosk accepting Apple Pay.

Google Play Services 8.1 which includes necessary framework for Android Pay has been rolling out for several days now. With a service like Samsung pay you could virtually use mobile payments anywhere since the technology uses existing magnetic stripe readers in kiosks. Android Pay relies on merchants adopting the technology. According to the document leaked by Verizon, Android Pay will be accepted in more than 1.5million locations at launch. That is a lot of locations so you should at least be able to find a spot to try it out. It should be mentioned that while the September 16th date comes from a very reliable source, things happen and dates sometimes get pushed back. At any rate I'd love to give Android pay a try.

via Phandroid

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
I wonder if VZW will also Support Samsung Pay.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I wonder why Apple didn't call their payment system "iPay"?

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Apple has clearly abandoned the i-naming scheme some time ago. Well, abandoned is the wrong word as the iPhone is still out there, but now it seems they are moving towards generic names.
APPLE PAY
WATCH

I'm still totally cheesed that Google is using ANDROID PAY as the name. Total failure IMO.