Walmart Announces Their Mobile Pay Competitor: Walmart Pay for iOS and Android

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Well i can tell you one reason I am using Samsung Pay right now is the amount of offers they are throwing around to get people to use it. 50$ credit on Sprint & Tmobile, 50$ Best Buy Gift Card, they had a free wireless charger for awhile. Samsung is pushing hard to get people to use theirs over others, which is competition, and i'm fine with that. I will say though, an added benefit for people who don't know is that when you link your credit card to at least Samsung Pay, it creates a virtual credit card with a different card #, and uses tokenization. When looking at it on any receipt it will show the virtual CC# not your real one.
Nothing new. Google pay/wallet has been doing that for years. Samsung just took it.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nothing new. Google pay/wallet has been doing that for years. Samsung just took it.

I didn't point to the contrary that Google used this process prior to Samsung. Merely pointing out to people who may not fully understand the technologies a simple explanation. But without the competition i'm fairly certain Google would have just let this fall by the wayside. As Apple Pay and Samsung Pay started to emerge, they "revamped" their own payment system. I only used Google wallet previously for sending a receiving money between friends and family, but I will say that now that the other two joined the race, it has got many people into the mobile payment ecosystem. Other countries have been using mobile phones for payments for quite some time, so did google not just "take it" as you say from the systems of the other countries? Google showcased their technology in 2011, by that time japan had been using mobile payment systems for around 5-7 years.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
and CC #'s are never printed on receipts these days. Usually just the last 4.

Pretty sweet you got a BB gift card though. #impressed

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I guess that explains it then. I was just talking to the Wal-Mart cashier the other day about how I'm surprised that a big company like Wal-Mart doesn't support tap-to-pay as I used my chip and PIN card for the first time. Now I know why they don't. Dumb. And I do shop there out of sheer convenience for certain things, but I won't even be experimenting with this payment method.

Also, the video bugs me. They swiped a chip and PIN card. I know we're just now getting them, so our cards are actually chip and swipe cards or something like that and less secure because they still have the swipe part, but I feel like they should've "inserted" the card into the phone like a regular chip and PIN card.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I do shop there out of sheer convenience for certain things

Many of us do. We all talk junk about Wal-Mart (I know I do being a former worker) but when we must have something at a certain time (ie kid told you at the last minute about a field trip or needing to bring in candy for a class party) Wal-Mart is our friend.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Many of us do. We all talk junk about Wal-Mart (I know I do being a former worker) but when we must have something at a certain time (ie kid told you at the last minute about a field trip or needing to bring in candy for a class party) Wal-Mart is our friend.
Cheap ammo too.

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
I didn't point to the contrary that Google used this process prior to Samsung. Merely pointing out to people who may not fully understand the technologies a simple explanation. But without the competition i'm fairly certain Google would have just let this fall by the wayside. As Apple Pay and Samsung Pay started to emerge, they "revamped" their own payment system. I only used Google wallet previously for sending a receiving money between friends and family, but I will say that now that the other two joined the race, it has got many people into the mobile payment ecosystem. Other countries have been using mobile phones for payments for quite some time, so did google not just "take it" as you say from the systems of the other countries? Google showcased their technology in 2011, by that time japan had been using mobile payment systems for around 5-7 years.

Google was shut out of the payment system because Verizon and others had their own ideas and locked Google out. Verizon and other claimed that the secure element wasn't secure as a ploy to block payment methods so they could catch up with their ISIS Pay. Google got there first, Apple and Samsung are late to the game.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Google was shut out of the payment system because Verizon and others had their own ideas and locked Google out. Verizon and other claimed that the secure element wasn't secure as a ploy to block payment methods so they could catch up with their ISIS Pay. Google got there first, Apple and Samsung are late to the game.

Google bought out softcard, which is what the changes the name of Isis to after the terrorist organization by the same name came to light.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Tech_Head, you seem to have glossed over my point, google was never first, they merely adapted technology that had already been around for years in other countries (Japan and Finland are just two). While Apple and Samsung may have come after google, my point is still valid. The only reason the mobile payment systems have exploded is because they are all pushing the systems now, had it stayed with only google, i doubt it would have as much adaptation as it does now.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I never shop at Wal-Mart for everyday products. I get the convenience thing though. The messed up part is, we have 2 - 24hr super Wal-Mart's in our small town of around 100k I think it is. The only time I go in there is to get fishing or camping supplies, so maybe once a year to stock up.
Now if Best Buy comes out with one, I'll be much more interested.
As for Google/Android/Samsung pay.... meh, the convenience factor still isn't there yet.
I'm still waiting on the "coin" or "swyp" card to take off. One card that holds ALL of your credit/debit/store cards. THAT would be much more convenient imo.

S5 tap'n

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
and CC #'s are never printed on receipts these days. Usually just the last 4.

Pretty sweet you got a BB gift card though. #impressed
that doesn't matter, people will still skim the entire CC# and with this it allows your bank to refund the money without having to send a whole new card, EVERY single time a company like target or bestbuy gets their system hacked I end up with a new card and it's REALLY freaking annoying. A system like this allows my bank to refund the money without having to send a new card.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
What i meant is that the last 4 numbers listed are those of the virtual CC, not of your actual card in hand credit card number. :)

exactly, which is WHY it's such a great idea. It prevents banks from constantly having to resend new cards when there are security breaches