Walmart Announces Their Mobile Pay Competitor: Walmart Pay for iOS and Android

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Walmart-Pay-800x347.jpg

Ever since Apple jumped head first into the mobile payment market with Apple Pay, everyone and their dog has followed suit. Other mobile pay competitors had already been in the market for sometime, but their services never quite took off (like Google Wallet). Even Google changed their payment system to Android Pay. Whether you love it or hate it, it took Apple entering the market to "legitimize" mobile payments.

The latest entrant could actually give all of them a run for their money (at least in a particular niche). Walmart has thrown their hat in the ring by announcing Walmart Pay. This new service will be built into the Walmart app for both iOS and Android. It will roll out in select Walmart stores in the U.S. later this month, and then get a nationwide rollout during the first half of 2016.

What sets Walmart Pay apart (for now) is the way it processes the transaction and emails you the receipt. Here's a brief quote with the details,

"With Walmart Pay, you open an app on your phone and scan a barcode on the register screen at checkout. That sends a signal to the register you will pay via the app and allows the backend system to send you an itemized receipt of your purchases to the smartphone. It also means payment is handled seamlessly by whatever credit or debit card you’ve linked to the app. The implementation is a bit clunkier in that you have to trigger the app and complete a scan. But the receipt functionality isn’t yet available from Apple and is a nice addition." ~ Forbes

The other thing worth noting about Walmart pay is that it supports any major credit, debit, pre-paid or Walmart gift card. On top of this new mobile payment system, Walmart is one of a handful of retailers who have refused to support Apple Pay. Walmart is actually taking the lead on a standardized-for-retail mobile payment setup called the Merchant Customer Exchange (MCX) consortium. MCX is trying to get the entire retail industry to standardize under something called CurrentC.

What's very odd about Walmart's new Walmart Pay system is that it basically flies in the face of their own MCX initiative. Walmart even used some of the technology in the MCX system to create Walmart Pay. Could they be simply throwing in the towel on a standardized system? It's strange to ponder what their strategy is. Regardless, considering the massive volume of customers that Walmart has (except for folks like myself who almost never shop there), they have now placed themselves in the top three of the US mobile payment market, simply by offering the service.

Here's a final quote regarding Walmart Pay, and you can check out a video promo of it in the thread below,

“The simplicity and ease of Walmart Pay comes not only from how it works, but also in how it’s been built,” said Daniel Eckert, senior vice president, services, Walmart U.S. “We made a strategic decision to design Walmart Pay to work with almost any smartphone and accept almost any payment type – even allowing for the integration of other mobile wallets in the future. The result is an innovation that will make the ease of mobile payments a reality for millions of Americans.”

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here's that Walmart Pay video demo:

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
As a couple people pointed out in the comments section of the different articles i've read about Wal-Mart pay, is that if it is not a tap to pay kind of system, and requires users to scan items and then pay, it may fail as it requires the users to do more steps then the competitors.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Please...stop. Enough of this.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Eh...I'll just break out the old Samsung Pay and keep it moving.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I'll just pull out my Credit Card from my money clip. It's just as fast if not faster.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'll just pull out my Credit Card from my money clip. It's just as fast if not faster.

Im actually pretty impressed with Samsung pay. They are just need to get more banks aboard. But I have seen (and have done myself) people juggling bags, wallet, phones, etc and end up walking out the door leaving their phone or wallet on the counter. Having a phone being an extension of my wallet is a good tool, especially with it being backwards compatible.

But where it can get out of control is where people find themselves spending more because they are not focused on the price on the register and they just swipe their phone and go back to texting/fbing. I have found myself on several occasions walking out the store not remembering how much I spent.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
REALLY?!?!?! wally-world pay.come on, I hate that corporation enough, what makes them think I'd EVER want to give them more things on me. I hate to shop there and will NEVER use anything like this.

as everyone has said, who's next? jeez this is ridiculous.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Talk about fragmentation and no standards. A fee more years of this and you will have so many pay apps you're going to be in line furiously flipping through apps... "OK....which one works here again?"

TapaTurboII

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
Now every retailer will follow suit. It will be a never ending list of PAY!!!! Time to start trademarking!

KohlsPay
HomeDepotPay
BestBuyPay
GameStopPay
TargetPay

Seriously though...when will it end!!?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Now every retailer will follow suit. It will be a never ending list of PAY!!!! Time to start trademarking!

KohlsPay
HomeDepotPay
BestBuyPay
GameStopPay
TargetPay

Seriously though...when will it end!!?

Facebook Pay
Twitter Pay
Droidforums.net Pay
Pc747 pay :p
apple-pay-designboomth1.jpg

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well i can tell you one reason I am using Samsung Pay right now is the amount of offers they are throwing around to get people to use it. 50$ credit on Sprint & Tmobile, 50$ Best Buy Gift Card, they had a free wireless charger for awhile. Samsung is pushing hard to get people to use theirs over others, which is competition, and i'm fine with that. I will say though, an added benefit for people who don't know is that when you link your credit card to at least Samsung Pay, it creates a virtual credit card with a different card #, and uses tokenization. When looking at it on any receipt it will show the virtual CC# not your real one.