Sundar Pichai Also Confirms Android Pay Mobile Payment Framework

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
sundar-pichai-mwc-2015-2.jpg

Sundar Pichai, (Google's Lord of Androids and Chrome), had something else to share besides their new carrier service, Nova. He confirmed that Google is creating the API for their own improved mobile payment system and it will be called Android Pay.

Pichai described Android Pay as more of a framework for mobile payments than a specific app. Google's intention is that it will become a full service on which other companies will be able to build their own payment system. Initially it will utilize NFC technology, but Google plans to introduce other options in the future. More than likely this service (and Google's carrier service) will be officially unveiled during Google I/O later this year.

While the name is unoriginal, it actually makes sense to keep it simple. If consumers hear Apple Pay, Samsung Pay or Android Pay, they will automatically know you are talking about mobile electronic payments. It keeps it brand specific, yet indirectly standardizes the naming convention. It's very clever, and is much better than Isis, Softcard, or LoopPay.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
This is getting crazy. Everyone seems to be getting in on the act. Even the new Samsung S6 is getting a Samsung Pay app. Now if we can only get the retailers to get their act together. ;)

We may have a dozen pay apps and nowhere to use them,

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Ok, is there an annoucement event going on or something I don't know about? So many things being announced today.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Yea, John: MWC 2015. (Mobile World COngress 2015).

I actually hate the name... I much prefer Google Wallet.
Likewise, Samsung Pay is pretty lame nomenclature.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
But it makes sense from a marketing stand-point. It's sad but true that they need to follow Apple's lead on this one because the general public will get Apple Pay stuck in their head. :(

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Lack of standards in the Android environment as a whole has and apparently always will be an issue.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I don't understand how Sammy expects to win unless I can install "Samsung Pay" :rolleyes: on my Motorola phone...
I'd certainly never buy a certain phone because of its payment solution.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is getting crazy. Everyone seems to be getting in on the act. Even the new Samsung S6 is getting a Samsung Pay app. Now if we can only get the retailers to get their act together. ;)

We may have a dozen pay apps and nowhere to use them,
Luckily for Samsung, their version doesn't require the retailers to do anything different at all. This may give them a significant advantage.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

If a few years ago when carriers were "dissing" Google Wallet for their own get rich plans someone were to tell you it would blow up in the carriers faces in more ways then one the thought would have been how. Uhh ISIS....yup I am betting the person that came up with that name cringes every time he turns on the tv.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't understand how Sammy expects to win unless I can install "Samsung Pay" :rolleyes: on my Motorola phone...
I'd certainly never buy a certain phone because of its payment solution.
I agree with you, and I doubt most consumers would buy just for a specific mobile payment service either, but I doubt that's the point. More people own Samsung phones than Motorola phones. If Samsung can get their Samsung Pay to take off because it is in more people's hands, then they stand to win the bragging rights with the general public. This will translate into a branding win for the company and something they can laude over Apple and the other Androids. Also, they are just trying to grow their own ecosystem.

Edit: To be clear, I am just sharing my appreciation for Samsung's strategy. That doesn't mean I favor them in one way or another.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I agree with you, and I doubt most consumers would buy just for a specific mobile payment service either, but I doubt that's the point. More people own Samsung phones than Motorola phones. If Samsung can get their Samsung Pay to take off because it is in more people's hands, then they stand to win the bragging rights with the general public. This will translate into a branding win for the company and something they can laude over Apple and the other Androids. Also, they are just trying to grow their own ecosystem.

Edit: To be clear, I am just sharing my appreciation for Samsung's strategy. That doesn't mean I favor them in one way or another.

Except one thing, Samsung is slow to update and always have. If there was ever a time where being able to push out updates fast was key it is now. Apple have the advantage of being able to update all their iPhones and iPads without having to deal with the carriers. Nexus device have the advantage of its users knowing where to find and how to load the latest updates. Even the latest Moto X devices, especially the pure editions, are able to get out swift updates. But for as many devices Samsung have in the hands of users if they do not get their version of pay in customers hands and using it they will squander their advantage. Unfortunately I think we will see that being the case where about time they get pay in enough users hands there will be some other 3rd party or copy cat app that will work across the board or Google will have figured out a way to take advantage of a similar technology.
The only way I can see Samsung actually being able to take full advantage is if they put their Pay in the app store for users to be able to install it as soon as it is rolled out. But we know Sammy is probably going to want to use that as bait to try and entice people to buy and that arrogance may be enough to slow momentum of SamPAy.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
SamPay...I like that. LOL
Too bad they're blowing it with no SD or removable battery.

Turbo Tap'n

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Except one thing, Samsung is slow to update and always have. If there was ever a time where being able to push out updates fast was key it is now. Apple have the advantage of being able to update all their iPhones and iPads without having to deal with the carriers. Nexus device have the advantage of its users knowing where to find and how to load the latest updates. Even the latest Moto X devices, especially the pure editions, are able to get out swift updates. But for as many devices Samsung have in the hands of users if they do not get their version of pay in customers hands and using it they will squander their advantage. Unfortunately I think we will see that being the case where about time they get pay in enough users hands there will be some other 3rd party or copy cat app that will work across the board or Google will have figured out a way to take advantage of a similar technology.
The only way I can see Samsung actually being able to take full advantage is if they put their Pay in the app store for users to be able to install it as soon as it is rolled out. But we know Sammy is probably going to want to use that as bait to try and entice people to buy and that arrogance may be enough to slow momentum of SamPAy.

This wouldn't require any updates on their OS side. It would simply be an app download from the Samsung Store or Google Play. All of Samsung's recent phones have the hardware enabled already.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This wouldn't require any updates on their OS side. It would simply be an app download from the Samsung Store or Google Play. All of Samsung's recent phones have the hardware enabled already.
Agree but that in a way is my point, will Sammy be smart and kick it to the store asap or will they play the game of wanting it to be exclusive to their newer phones trying to increase sales potentially giving up any momentum and lead they have?
If Sammy release SamPay to the market asap so all Sammy devices can install it then you instantly have a big hit because of the number of Samsung devices on the market. I still see people rocking the old Galaxy S2.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Agree but that in a way is my point, will Sammy be smart and kick it to the store asap or will they play the game of wanting it to be exclusive to their newer phones trying to increase sales potentially giving up any momentum and lead they have?
If Sammy release SamPay to the market asap so all Sammy devices can install it then you instantly have a big hit because of the number of Samsung devices on the market. I still see people rocking the old Galaxy S2.

I don't think they have a choice really except to release it immediately.

One of two things will happen. Either the mandated EMV readers will still have a swipeable slot in them to accommodate the lengthy change over away from the magnetic strips...or they will eliminate them completely and force a mass adoption to EMV immediately.

I believe if the swipe slots disappear that Samsung has very little time to take advantage of their magnetic "NFC" feature. If the new EMV readers are backwards compatible then Samsung would have more breathing room.