Android Music App - issues and questions

randmcnally

Reaction score
Hi,

General Player Questions:

1. I've read on here that the music on the droid/milestone skips (tape hit, hesitates, whatever you want to call it), and I am experiencing that. Can someone with a 2.1 update confirm that issue is solved.

2. Is the new media player in 2.1 WAAAAAYYYYYY better as they say it is? can you have it sit on top of the lock like TuneWiki? Can you scrobble to Last.fm?

3. Is the headphone jack not reliable for some people, I find I have to twist the connection from time to time (the headphones are fine)

TuneWiki Questions:

1. Does tunewiki randomly start playing for no reason for some people? It's gotten me into some trouble lately.

2. Is there something better than tunewiki (that also has last.fm scrobbling preferably)?

3. When using the headphone controls I find it works overall, but the first time I use it to skip tracks I have to hit the button, then hold the button again, and THEN it switches tracks with one press. Then after a while I have to repeat the two press method to get it to work again.

4. Why is the icon so ugly?
----

I love tunewiki and android and my milestone but if this media skip issue is not fixed I am going to ask my carrier/motorola for a replacement or a refund because I only bought a smart phone so I could stop carrying my ipod around.

thanks for any help!
-rand

Last edited:

Lynx

Reaction score
Hi,

General Player Questions:

1. I've read on here that the music on the droid/milestone skips (tape hit, hesitates, whatever you want to call it), and I am experiencing that. Can someone with a 2.1 update confirm that issue is solved.

2. Is the new media player in 2.1 WAAAAAYYYYYY better as they say it is? can you have it sit on top of the lock like TuneWiki? Can you scrobble to Last.fm?

3. Is the headphone jack not reliable for some people, I find I have to twist the connection from time to time (the headphones are fine)

TuneWiki Questions:

1. Does tunewiki randomly start playing for no reason for some people? It's gotten me into some trouble lately.

2. Is there something better than tunewiki (that also has last.fm scrobbling preferably)?

3. When using the headphone controls I find it works overall, but the first time I use it to skip tracks I have to hit the button, then hold the button again, and THEN it switches tracks with one press. Then after a while I have to repeat the two press method to get it to work again.

4. Why is the icon so ugly?
----

I love tunewiki and android and my milestone but if this media skip issue is not fixed I am going to ask my carrier/motorola for a replacement or a refund because I only bought a smart phone so I could stop carrying my ipod around.

thanks for any help!
-rand

I am just going to comment on the better music player. bTunes is imo the best music player on the market hands down. I tried TuneWiki and I liked it for about a week, than stopped using it. I have tried just about every one on the market and found bTunes to be my favorite. I would check it out.

OP
R

randmcnally

Reaction score
okay cool, and you didn't develop bTunes correct?
does it have Last.FM and can it sit on top of the lock using FlyScreen?

;)

jimnutt

Reaction score
It's important to remember, that, unlike Apple, Google is more concerned with the base Android OS than the apps. I think one of the reasons the stock music player is so bare bones is that they don't expect people to use it. They expect you to go to the market and find one that suits you. So, yeah, the built in music player isn't very good, but there are lots of options on the market (I use TuneWiki myself), try them out until you find one you like.

Lynx

Reaction score
okay cool, and you didn't develop bTunes correct?
does it have Last.FM and can it sit on top of the lock using FlyScreen?

;)

Lol no I am not affiliated with the app at all, I just stumbled across it and found it worked best for me. It doesnt have Last.FM, but it does download album artwork from Last.FM so something like that may come down the line. Yes there is a widget that sits on the lock screen.

OP
R

randmcnally

Reaction score
for me right now I like tunewiki- but it randomly starts playing which is brutal. the interface buttons are also in desperate need of a redesign as they are ugly (being picky I know).

I've heard that the music player in 2.1 has been redesigned and is awesome, but that's what Google is saying as opposed to actual users. Anyone used it? Is it amazing?

I was reading the comments on bTunes - shame that the player that everyone loves is just an Apple style rip off. I also read that the default player will still randomly start playing and that the headphone buttons don't work. Can anyone confirm that is the case before I spend my $1.50.

Lynx

Reaction score
for me right now I like tunewiki- but it randomly starts playing which is brutal. the interface buttons are also in desperate need of a redesign as they are ugly (being picky I know).

I've heard that the music player in 2.1 has been redesigned and is awesome, but that's what Google is saying as opposed to actual users. Anyone used it? Is it amazing?

I was reading the comments on bTunes - shame that the player that everyone loves is just an Apple style rip off. I also read that the default player will still randomly start playing and that the headphone buttons don't work. Can anyone confirm that is the case before I spend my $1.50.

I have been using this for a while now and had that happen to me once. But not after the last few updates. I think it has alot to do with the ROM you are using also. Its just a great simple app thats easily worth 1.50. Try it for a few hours, if you dont like it get a refund :)

mgautrea

Reaction score
I had TuneWiki and liked it for a while. I got bTunes and like it. My question is, what is a good desktop music manager for the music so that I can make playlists, etc on the desktop and have it sync with bTunes? I have Windows Media on my computer but the album art and the playlists are not shown on bTunes. I know bTunes looks for art on last.fm but I would like to have them both synced up.

OP
R

randmcnally

Reaction score
I've only had my milestone a week, but Songbird works really well for me. You can sync and create playlists with it.

OP
R

randmcnally

Reaction score
no I don't think songbird has a mobile app. there's a remote control app for it.

I believe (correct me if I am wrong - I am new to the droid/milestone) but when you create a playlist it just dumps the playlist file on your phone when you drag it to your phone and then that playlist file would be recognized by the music app.

mgautrea

Reaction score
I'm starting to see that. I went to the songbird site and saw it had a droid pictrure and thought it was had an app as well.

shugknight

Reaction score
I've used the new 2.1 Music Player. Honestly, it's really the same player. The only difference is they put Tabs up on top for Album/Artist/Songs/Playlist so it's easier to navigate. It's a little cleaner, but the fact that it doesn't download album art, kinda stinks.

I also use BTunes, and as the people here who use it say, I think it is one of the best players out. Unfortunately it does cost $1.50, but it already includes a Lock Screen music controller, without the need for the app Fly Screen. This is the #1 reason I bought BTunes was because you can control it without having to unlock your phone everytime.

However, I stopped using BTunes, because I created a playlist on it, and the following day, the playlist was deleted. I'm not sure if it was BTunes, or another App, but I found out that the 2.1 Music Player also recognizes the same playlist that BTunes uses. So I've been testing to see if the playlist carries over. So far, it does.

As for the problem with the music player opening. It has happened to me too. And it has happened with TuneWiki, BTunes, and the 2.1 Music Player.

I think there is something that triggers the music player to automatically start playing when headphones are plugged in. I've noticed that sometimes when music is playing, and I move my Droid that kind of adjusts the headphone jack, a different music player would start playing. It's like the headphone jacks are touching a sensor to trigger the player to play music.

OP
R

randmcnally

Reaction score
thanks!
music just starts playing for me regardless if the headphones are plugged in or not.

in 2.1 has the audio skipping problem been solved that's what I really want to know.

DARN IT!!! I just wasted a $1.50 on bTunes (well wasted the time, I got the refund)! I want to be able to change songs hands free. The remote on the headphones doesn't work with this paid app, but does work with the free app (tunewiki). Also, the screen lock now makes you have to 'double unlock' your screen whereas with tunewiki with FlyScreen it just replaces the current lock.

Oh well. Any other suggestions?

Last edited:

ian5577

Reaction score
this musics skipping problem is not solved even for gingerbread 2.37