Droid music skipping with headphones

adultswim810

Reaction score
when I have headphones in my droid skips like a beast whenever I try to use it while listening. Today, using tunewiki I accidentally hit search and it stopped for a full 2 or 3 seconds. This also happens with pandora and the default music player. I've read everywhere that the droid has great sound quality with zero clipping, but this has left me a bit disappointed. Is this normal, or is my droid messed up?

mrapollinax

Reaction score
Do your headphones work on other devices without hearing any skips/clipping? Have you tried other headphones to see if the problem persists?

mrapollinax

Reaction score
Have you tired another set of headphones with your Droid? If the problem persists then there is probably something going on with the headset jack. either there is debris in the jack causing disconnect or there is an issue with the jack itself.

siksik6

Reaction score
My Milestone does this too, so you're not alone. The files are fine, the headphones are fine, I've tried killing tasks, rebooting blah blah blah.. Motorola are as much use as a chocolate fireguard. Seriously thinking about sending it back if they don't help me out soon.

Out of interest, what firmware version are you on? we're still on 2.0.0 in Europe, I was hoping 2.0.1 might fix this issue, but if you're still experiencing it on 2.0.1 then we have a problem!

gutsploder

Reaction score
maybe your cd is scratched??:biggrin: just kidding.....
I would try clearing all your music files then re-loading them. I'm not sure if the droid recognizes other types of music files, if it does, you could convert them to something other than mp3 and see if that helps. both these options are a pain in the @$$, but thats all I got.

I H8 5_0 Stangs

Reaction score
FWIW, when I have the Media volume up all the way my headphones make a popping noise, however when I use my ipod w the headphones there are no issues. I have to have the droids media volume one step below max and then no popping

mrapollinax

Reaction score
/start audiogeek

Clipping is caused by overdriving the amplifiers of the speakers/headphones. basically the units cannot handle the output of the device they are plugged into and you get the pop/clip at higher volumes

/end audiogeek

If your ear buds are doing this with the phone higher spec'd headphones will probably fix the problem. Since you only have the issue at the top end of the volume I wouldn't worry about it since you have an easy workaround. As far as the original poster goes, the issue happens with Pandora as well so I would think it is a phone issue. If you play music and slightly twist/wiggle the plug on the headphone jack does the popping/skipping increase or does it stay the same? If it increases I would think it points to a hardware issue.

OP
A

adultswim810

Reaction score
No, you guys have it all wrong. Ive tried twisting the jack, It doesn't change. It seems like a lag. It happens mainly when Something memory intensive is happening. It isn't really frequent, but it happens enough to bother me. I just think my droid should be able to play music as well as my zune. No skipping, clipping or jumping. Do you think the hardware is defective? Also im pretty sure im on 2.0 to whoever asked that. I dont think it only happens with high volume.

OP
A

adultswim810

Reaction score
Has it been like this since day 1?
I believe so

Also today i hooked it up to my car thru the aux jack and i noticed some VERY weird sounds. It seems like some drums sounds come out as a click that drives me insane. When i listened to They're not horses they're unicorns (live), I almost couldn't stand it, while in grounds for divorce i didn't hear it at all.My zune does not do this. Is there some internal eq that purposefully enhances that snare drum sound to a click? I'm more bothered by this than the occasional lags, do you think its messed up internally?
D=

GOBIAS Industries

Reaction score
I have the same problem.

You are correct in that nobody offering answers is really understanding the problem. The problem is not in the headphones, headphone jack, etc. The problem is the poor media player embedded in the phone. In my case anyways, the problem comes up whenever a new text message, email, notification, phone unlock, etc occurs. I cannot offer any solutions unfortunately but just wanted people to stop posting about it being a problem with the headphones. Hopefully a firmware update is released to fix the phone's poor audio processing.

mrapollinax

Reaction score
Hmmmm... no one said anything about the problem coinciding with incoming notifications. Perhaps then it is a memory issue where core apps take precedence in the stack over media? I had Pandora up and playing about two hours yesterday hooked up to external speakers and didn't hear any of the issues being described in this thread.

JFDroid

Reaction score
I have the same problem.

You are correct in that nobody offering answers is really understanding the problem. The problem is not in the headphones, headphone jack, etc. The problem is the poor media player embedded in the phone. In my case anyways, the problem comes up whenever a new text message, email, notification, phone unlock, etc occurs. I cannot offer any solutions unfortunately but just wanted people to stop posting about it being a problem with the headphones. Hopefully a firmware update is released to fix the phone's poor audio processing.

I've been having this same problem for a while, at least since 2.0.1, maybe back during 2.0 too, can't remember that far though.

Most people don't understand this isn't a headphone jack wiggling/being loose issue. It has more to do, I think, with memory or sloppy code, because the phone 'lags' and the music skips when you get an incoming notification or the phone uses a lot of resources suddenly.

For example, I get this problem when I'm listening to music on my phone through my Shure headphones ($400... so trust me, it is NOT a headphone issue) and I click on an app, or I compose a text or e-mail or open the web browser. It gets really bad when loading heavy webpages, like Engadget full version.