android market vs. app store

Foolish

Reaction score
K guys I'm gonna vent alittle,

I don't see how the market will ever beat the app store and I'm not talking about fart apps either.....I don't care about sheer numbers I care about apps fitting my screen. I don't see how this is ever going to get better. I have a droid. Its been out a month and yet half the apps on the market still don't support it. Camera apps say coming soon games take a quarter of the screen. Hell even the freikin weather channel looks f'd up on my droid. I just don't get it what are they going to do once 15 phones hit a quarter. Google needs to do something. They need to implement some sort of standard such as screen size etc. I mean what's the point of all this power if it can't be utilized? I mean my wifes rogue has better graphics on her games ala need for speed. I just don't know I'm starting to doubt tghe market. The iphone is a nice phone I dropped it to come to the droid. If I couldn't jb the iphone then yes its worthless. The only thing is when an app hit the store I knew it would work on my screen. Idk sorry for venting just worried that its gonna get out of control. Maybe if tghe market would get alittle more organized it would hhelp. I just think that a standard for the phones would help so developerfs don't have to go by phones in order to fix a bug that could of been fixed if there was a standard,

What do you guys think

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
K guys I'm gonna vent alittle,

I don't see how the market will ever beat the app store and I'm not talking about fart apps either.....I don't care about sheer numbers I care about apps fitting my screen. I don't see how this is ever going to get better. I have a droid. Its been out a month and yet half the apps on the market still don't support it. Camera apps say coming soon games take a quarter of the screen. Hell even the freikin weather channel looks f'd up on my droid. I just don't get it what are they going to do once 15 phones hit a quarter. Google needs to do something. They need to implement some sort of standard such as screen size etc. I mean what's the point of all this power if it can't be utilized? I mean my wifes rogue has better graphics on her games ala need for speed. I just don't know I'm starting to doubt tghe market. The iphone is a nice phone I dropped it to come to the droid. If I couldn't jb the iphone then yes its worthless. The only thing is when an app hit the store I knew it would work on my screen. Idk sorry for venting just worried that its gonna get out of control. Maybe if tghe market would get alittle more organized it would hhelp. I just think that a standard for the phones would help so developerfs don't have to go by phones in order to fix a bug that could of been fixed if there was a standard,

What do you guys think
you cant be serious:| that market has taken YEARS to get that way:| we've only had ours a short time.

OP
F

Foolish

Reaction score
I understand that and its not so much the market itself. I'm morfe worried about the apps itself. I understand the app store has been around forever I was there at the beginning. What I'm saying is it doesn't matter how great the store is if you have sixty phones come out next year and 15 a quarter all with different specs, tweaked hardwareand hell even different versions how are developers A: supposed to keep up with upgrading and B: afford it? How many developers had to buy a droid to be able to fix bugs on app they built for the markett? Its almost a lose. Lose....and if the original iphone 2g can run a 3d version of gangstar then it shoould have been ported to the market as well

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well there is a problem with your venting. You are venting about a market that not only has more then 1 android unit to supply apps for, there are multiple screen sizes they have to deal with. The iphone 3g and 3gs have the same screen. Wait until apple expands their phones to more then just 1. And seeing that is what it's seeming like that apple is going to do, You will see the same problems. I so far have yet to find an app that didn't take up the whole screen. Though I do not play many games on it, the few that i did manage to play, all were on the whole screen. While I do agree the marketplace could be alittle more organized, it has been fine so far.

The Iphone has had 1 seller, and 1 phone style. Once they aren't locked into crappy AT&T, you will see things change. I have seen concepts for many different versions of the iphone, and the next to be iphones. This isn't an apples for apples comparison your doing.

medicTHREE

Reaction score
The droid has been out a month. Many of these apps will take time to compensate and make droid versions. Give it time. Freaking out after a month is nuts.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I understand that and its not so much the market itself. I'm morfe worried about the apps itself. I understand the app store has been around forever I was there at the beginning. What I'm saying is it doesn't matter how great the store is if you have sixty phones come out next year and 15 a quarter all with different specs, tweaked hardwareand hell even different versions how are developers A: supposed to keep up with upgrading and B: afford it? How many developers had to buy a droid to be able to fix bugs on app they built for the markett? Its almost a lose. Lose....and if the original iphone 2g can run a 3d version of gangstar then it shoould have been ported to the market as well

The simple fact of the matter is that this phone and the android brand IS NOT for everyone. I'm not bashing you for not liking the marketplace or anything. Merely saying that there are people that just don't like it. If you don't like it, don't stick with it. You shouldn't hate the phone you use for the next year or two. You can either go back to the Iphone, or choose another unit, with a different operating system. Iphone is the only one that you will see a marketplace (as of right now) have to only cater to one phone size.

OP
F

Foolish

Reaction score
Maybe I wasn't be so clear as to vwhat I meant by venting. I understand thag the iphone has had basically one version as far as screen size and resolution. That is part of my point it doesn't matter whether the market has been out a year or 10 if there is no standard for the phones then eventually its going to be to hectic to develop for. While your right its been only out a month we only had what basically three maybe four releases as of late. What's going to happen when we have 15 is that month/ two months going to turn into six? That's my thought it don't really matter how organized the market is if there's a good app or game word will get out about it. As far as the screen issue most games don't fit the screen at least the ones I've downloaded. A lot. Of apps don't tgake advantage of the screen resolution as well. The weather channel for instance on the main screen has cluttered writing. I'm notg saying all but quite a few. I love my droid I really do. I just wanna see it and android itself grow and be succesful.

OP
F

Foolish

Reaction score
First off sorry aboujt the grammer and spelling I'm typing on my droid keyboard and I'm derermined to be the winner of next years texting challenge lol. As far as iphone concepts we have all seen them b ut I highly doubt that steve jobs will change the way it looks to much. Apple just doesn't do that hence every other apple design over the last few years. They have a winner why mess witth it. Alos that means that their app formula would have to change and it wouldn't be the app for every phone and touch. While the reolution might get stronger I think that will be it. Now I'm not bashing the market I love that just about every 10 minutes I can look at the just in and see new apps just worried about the future of those apps on newer phones. As far as the droid its not going anywhere I love it and verizons coverage is just awesome

ChrisK15

Reaction score
This isn't an apples for apples comparison your doing.
I see what you did there.

Anyway, a lot of new Android phones will have higher-resolution screens. Previously all of them have been 320x480, so you can't really blame developers for not supporting anything higher. I have noticed that a lot of apps and their icons are lower-res. It bugs me a little but I know it's because the Droid's only been out a month. Just give it until early next year and I bet a lot of the most popular app developers will update their current ones and start making new ones that are compatible with any resolution. Even Android only started completely supporting resolution independence with 2.0. Just give it a little time and the Android platform will be a beast, and far more vast and customizable than the iPhone.

OP
F

Foolish

Reaction score
I agree that it can and will get better....I'm just worred once it expands past two to three phonesnanquarter either. A: developers especially small developers are going to have a hard time keeping up and or B: consumers will get fed up waiting. I mean I could care less I'm using some apps that barely work on my device cause I like them so much but most consumers won want to wait. I'm sorry but over a month wait to upgrade your app to wlork on the droid should be plenty if that's what you do for a living. If its part time I understand but again most consumers won't wait and it will start leaving a sour taste in their mouths when it comes to android. Please guys don't take this as me bashing anything just good conversation I'm an android lover for life now. Just want to make sure everyone else can be to.

mrredskin

Reaction score
what apps are you using that don't work with your screen??? every one of mine seem to work fine

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I agree that it can and will get better....I'm just worred once it expands past two to three phonesnanquarter either. A: developers especially small developers are going to have a hard time keeping up and or B: consumers will get fed up waiting. I mean I could care less I'm using some apps that barely work on my device cause I like them so much but most consumers won want to wait. I'm sorry but over a month wait to upgrade your app to wlork on the droid should be plenty if that's what you do for a living. If its part time I understand but again most consumers won't wait and it will start leaving a sour taste in their mouths when it comes to android. Please guys don't take this as me bashing anything just good conversation I'm an android lover for life now. Just want to make sure everyone else can be to.

This has actually already been touched on by an article. I think i linked it in the off-topic section, about androids fragmenting themselves. But as stated, once apple gets off it's exclusive deal with AT&T you will see more then 1 unit, with 1 screen, while it may not be the first day it's off, it's bound to happen. What happens what that takes place, the same exact thing that you are on here venting about. I don't take this as a you bashing the product at all, so don't worry. I think this will become an issue, no doubt, and sooner or later there will have to be a standardized screen size, or at least 1-3 different screen sizes so developers don't have to make 10000000 apps. But already stated, the marketplace for android, is alittle shy of decent. No real good way to search other then by the name.

Twoo

Reaction score
The App Store was launched in July of 2008 for a phone that was launched in June of 2007.

The Android Market was launched in October 2008 for a phone that was launched in October 2008.

The big difference? The Iphone had millions of phones in hands before the App Store was released, the Android Market was release together with the Phone. HUGE difference.

The Android Market is still developing and collecting people from the Apple App world and having them create Apps for us.

ChrisK15

Reaction score
Most apps that are generic and not theme or graphics-driven run fine on the Droid. Just because 10 phones might come out doesn't mean that developers have to re-code their apps for each one. That's what's so good about Android; it's one OS that can run on any phone. As long as app developers update their apps for the latest major Android build, everything should be fine.

JayMonster

Reaction score
So if I understand your complaint... basically, you want to limit what phone makers can do with their phones and set some sort of lowest common denominator so that every app can work immediately now and in the future.

I'm sorry, but that is just plain silly. Yes, this is one of the "benefits" of the iPhone... every one is exactly the same, and no, you can't have a higher resolution, even if you want it... but the apps that worked 3 years ago still work because the screen resolution hasn't improved over that time. That's progress? No, that is a walled garden that stymies innovation... Apple's hallmark.

I bought the Droid not only because of what it can do now, but because the device is powerful enough and good enough to move forward. If you want to stick to the trailing edge to ensure "standards" then go get the Eris. The smaller screen and lower resolution will work with everything right now. Sure it may lag a bit, and the future growth will be limited, and the screen isn't as sharp, but you can run solitare full right now. It will give you the same brain dead go nowhere experience you crave from Apple.

The great think about the Android platform is that there is a choice. If you want "brain dead simple" then the Eris has you covered. If you want power... the Droid has you covered. You don't really care about the OS and just want to text and do social networking... then get yourself a Cliq. Want one that is nothing more than a bloated music player... Sony Erricson has one on the way for you.

The Droid is a major step for Android devices (one that Apple hasn't taken in 3 years with the iPhone), and yes the developers do need to account for something they didn't think of the first time around. But it is not an overcomplicated task to handled, and more than likely, they will code for this in a way that will not only improve their apps for the Droid but for future devices so they don't need to deal with this again the next time around.

So this is really but a long winded way of saying, no... forcing down an artificial "standard" is not what an open platform is about, nor in the long run is it a wise move.