Non-Market Apps

fallsgable

Reaction score
just a few quick questions:

1. Is there a good site for non-market apps? Or are ALL apps typically found in the Droid Market on the phone?

2. Why would a developer NOT put their app in the Verizon Droid Market, if it were a good app?

3. How risky is it to install non-market .APK files?

I am looking for more variety, and wondering if some of the apps I like from the I-phone world are out there for Android, just not available in the Droid Market on the phone...

Thanks for the insights guys!

rawburt

Reaction score
All the 2.1 apps (launcher, gallery, news/weather, ect) city caller id, ect

nerdbox08

Reaction score
1. Is there a good site for non-market apps? Or are ALL apps typically found in the Droid Market on the phone?

Not that I know of. Developers are scattered around posting their apps via forums.

2. Why would a developer NOT put their app in the Verizon Droid Market, if it were a good app?

Most non-market apps are apps that should be out there. Like Swype. A developer pulled Swype from inside an OS and put it into an app that we can use. This is the biggest reason you get non-market apps. Sometimes people want a certain things from other phones that are part of a package, but the company doesn't want to sell/give away that feature, so someone goes and steals it.

3. How risky is it to install non-market .APK files?

I've yet to come across a non-market app that has done any damage, but I've also found very few considering the content of what they usually are. I think I've tried three to date and I've had my phone since a week after launch.

Most apps are in the market because they should be. I don't think you are going to find a place where all the non-market apps are meeting up and getting a drink together, if you catch my drift :)

You'll find apps in the market for rooted phones, which technically people shouldn't be rooting their phones. People also put them up in beta form. It's just so much easier for devs that way.

Basically, if you don't find the app in the market, it's not supposed to be there. *Most of the time*

Edit: Don't let this prevent you from installing them, they are usually very stable and serve purpose, just remember it is at your discretion.