Android and corporate email

mapexvenus

Reaction score
I have been using the Droid to access corporate email for a couple of months now. This morning, me and several other Android users got an email from our security dept informing us that they were evaluating whether Android-based devices should be allowed to connect to our corporate Exchange Server because it lacks specific security features and isn't a secure device.

Any other Android users facing similar challenges?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that Android does not support Exchange security policies which seems to be what the OP is referring to. Are you claiming that Touchdown does provide this support?

OP
M

mapexvenus

Reaction score
Touchdown is a great solution, true, but the device needs to be able to have a corporate-enforced policy that locks it down. It shouldn't be left up to the user. Our corporate security policy can lock down iPhones and Blackberries, not just the email app. The devices can be remote wiped if required. If my (Android) phone gets stolen then whoever steals it has access to my email, and login credentials if they look in the right places.

mjs31

Reaction score
So one of the mobile defense type apps would not work? I know wave secure can wipe a phone and mobile defense will have that soon.
Touchdown has several options including remote-wipe, and pin access requirements. I am sure you are aware of this already, but if you need more than these options, you should go blackberry.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Touchdown and Wave Secure calmed down the IT Goon at corporate for me.

FSTTYMS

Reaction score
I got Verizon to reimburse me for my Touchdown purchase, due to their false advertisement of their Droid fully supporting exchange. Their native e-ail program is BROKEN and does not function properly. I told them I was either going to return the phone and contact BBB and other legal channels for their false advertisement, they said here is your $10 credit sir.

Touchdown was the very first program I DL'd.

FSTTYMS

Reaction score
Touchdown is a great solution, true, but the device needs to be able to have a corporate-enforced policy that locks it down. It shouldn't be left up to the user. Our corporate security policy can lock down iPhones and Blackberries, not just the email app. The devices can be remote wiped if required. If my (Android) phone gets stolen then whoever steals it has access to my email, and login credentials if they look in the right places.

That is why you keep the lock on your main screen. Not the stock one, the 9 dot security lock. They won't be able to get past that to any of your private stuff. There are also several apps that do just that, lock your phone if it gets lost or stolen.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

That is why you keep the lock on your main screen. Not the stock one, the 9 dot security lock. They won't be able to get past that to any of your private stuff. There are also several apps that do just that, lock your phone if it gets lost or stolen.

The screen lock means little when it comes to Corporate IT policy, especially if your a defense contractor.

jjdroid

Reaction score
Is there a free app that does what Touchdown does? The native app is useless for corporate email, thus making the Droid useless for corporate email.

OP
M

mapexvenus

Reaction score
Just to update my original thread,the company I work for has now blocked Android-based devices from accessing the corp Exchange server. I think they are justified based on the security risks I described in a few replies in this thread. I really hope that Google / Motorola think about corporate security policies and enforce better security (which I hear is coming in Q2)

bllarkin

Reaction score
Parts of this doesn't make sense. I know that the Android doesn't support all the policies. If your company is using many of those policies, though (specifically Exchange security policies), the Droid wouldn't even sync up to the email server. So it seems that said company isn't even using some of these security policies that they are so worried about the Droid supporting.

aosman

Reaction score
Same here! My company's policy is to block Droids. The reason is because Android/Droid does not natively support remote wipe and lock. They allow iPhones and Blackberries of course!
I don't know why Google did not implement the Exchange security settings support from the start. I really hope they get this fixed soon.