Amazon Kindle app coming preloaded on Samsung Vibrant... Android Market too?

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
121zwo3.jpg

Update (4:07PM EST): Amazon Kindle for Android has just been released on the Android Market! And better yet, it's free! (thanks tcrews)

Amidst the Samsung wildness that ensued last night, we overlooked a substantial tidbit in the T-Mobile Vibrant's Press Release. Apparently, the Amazon Kindle app, that has been in the works for awhile now, will be preloaded on the Samsung Vibrant. We have no idea when or if the Kindle app will hit the Android Market, but I'm sure this is pleasant news for any Kindle users out there looking to sync their e-book collections!

We are also unsure whether or not the Kindle app will be pre-loaded on all Samsung Galaxy Series phones, or just the Vibrant, at this time. However, I'm sure a savvy developer will be able to rip the app if the need arises.

So there you have it. The Amazon Kindle app will be debuting along with the Samsung Vibrant on July 21st.

From T-Mobile's Samsung Vibrant Press Release:

Amazon Kindle for Android application provides direct access to more than 600,000 books, including a vast majority of The New York Times Best Sellers and New Releases. Before consumers purchase a book, they can read the first chapter for free. They also can read reviews and recommendations from Amazon.com and its customers. With Kindle for Android, customers can sync their reading with their other Kindle devices so they never lose their place or are without their reading.
Photo Courtesy of Sizlopedia.com
Via AndroidPolice.com
Thanks to Shadez for the tip!

Last edited:

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Just wanted to say, that out of all the major android and tech forums, I saw this info posted here on droid forums first. Seemed funny that after it was posted here, I started getting tweets within minutes from other forums and then it started showing up on their websites...wtg us :D

zMd113

Reaction score
I was hoping something like this would be available, thanks for the info I just downloaded it!

zMd113

Reaction score
Well I downloaded it but when I go to the Kindle store it shows a 404 message.

hollowbox

Reaction score
Love this app. Very cool, works great. Been waiting for this for awhile now.

zMd113

Reaction score
Ok so I guess you just go to the actual website and download whatever I just downloaded a free Star Wars book.

hollowbox

Reaction score
I got the star wars book too. Did not want to spend any money on a book till I tried it out. Ill read the book tonight and see how I like it...but it looks cool to me.

DucksDroid

Reaction score
Looks like a nice app. If you want to try it out with some free books first, there are a large number of "classics" available in the Kindle Store under "Kindle popular classics."

Once you have openned a book, you can use Menu > View Options to set the font size and background color (white, sepia or black), which should make it readable under most conditions.

Enjoy! dancedroid

DucksDroid

Reaction score
You're right -- there are a lot of books to go through! They break them down by genre (see example below). Also there were a couple of "Listmania" suggestions for the free or low-cost books.

<LI style="MARGIN-LEFT: -18px">‹ Kindle Store <LI style="MARGIN-LEFT: -10px">‹ Kindle Popular Classics <LI style="MARGIN-LEFT: -2px">‹ Kindle Books <LI style="MARGIN-LEFT: 24px">Fiction <LI style="MARGIN-LEFT: 22px">Action & Adventure (1) <LI style="MARGIN-LEFT: 22px">Children's Fiction (263) <LI style="MARGIN-LEFT: 22px">Contemporary Fiction (884) <LI style="MARGIN-LEFT: 22px">Drama (2,208) <LI style="MARGIN-LEFT: 22px">Fiction Classics (24) <LI style="MARGIN-LEFT: 22px">Genre Fiction (98) <LI style="MARGIN-LEFT: 22px">Poetry (135) <LI style="MARGIN-LEFT: 22px">Science Fiction (84) <LI style="MARGIN-LEFT: 22px">World Literature (1,185)