Amazon's Kindle app coming to Android

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
kindle-amazon-android.jpg

Amazon has announced that it will soon be porting it's popular Kindle App to the Android platform. The new Android book reader will also allow you to preview, and purchase books directly from Amazon’s Kindle bookstore all from the comfort of your Droid. While having the ability to run this app on an Android phone is nice, I think Amazon has another agenda and preparing for the release of many Android Tablets expected to launch later this year. Some of the features of the Kindle App will include:

• Get the best reading experience available on your Android phone. No Kindle required
  • Access your Kindle books even if you don't have your Kindle with you
  • Automatically synchronizes your last page read and annotations between devices with Whispersync
  • Adjust the text size, add bookmarks, and view the annotations you created on your Kindle, computer, or other Kindle-compatible device
  • Read in portrait or landscape mode
  • Tap on either side of the screen or flick to turn pages

For more information visit: Kindle for Android

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
this is good news.. been hoping they would do it..dancedroidI can't wait..

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
That is cool, and mostly good news in the way of knowing big names want to join hands with android. However, I don't see reading books on my tiny droid screen comfortably?!

jpoutre

Reaction score
I agree on the size. Anyone here done this on the iPhone, it's about the same size, any thoughts on how it worked in that size? (I think iPhone has Kindle).

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
it actually not that bad to read on phones.. it works when you are at doctors offfice or something like that.. the bigger market will be the android tablets like stated in op.. still excited... i would say those people who would own an android tablet would own a android based phone so you would always have your book with you.. makes it real handy

sharondet

Reaction score
Wow, I'm looking forward to this. I have a Kindle, and had the Kindle app on my ipod touch before I got my Droid. It was a small screen, and I wouldn't want to do a long stretch of reading on it, but it will be great for those time when I don't have my kindle, and have a few minutes to read.

oshizo

Reaction score
Yes sir I have been waiting on this. Aldiko is nice but kindle has a lot more material to pick from. Screen size won't be an issue afiak. Great news!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Question. Do you have to purchase a Kindle or can you just use the app and purchase the books and use your Droid? The link for more information is dead.

mrgarrison

Reaction score
when the kindle came out i was worried it would be hard to read but the screen and text are great! will they make the text the black on (light)grey like on the kindle?

oshizo

Reaction score
I didn't think of that I hope you don't have to purchase the tablet. Money is money from a phone or the tablet.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Question. Do you have to purchase a Kindle or can you just use the app and purchase the books and use your Droid? The link for more information is dead.

You do not need a Kindle for the app to work. Below is a new link:

Amazon Says Kindle App for Android Coming This Summer - PCWorld

I read the article and I didn't see where it specified that, but I'll take your word for it. Seemed a little too good to be true. Thanks for the reply and providing the link.

chr1sny

Reaction score
Sounds great. This will probably work better on the EVO than my droid due to the bigger screen size.

dylanthecat

Reaction score
I am going by the assumption Hook that it works this way with the PC version. I will try the app on my Ipod touch tonight if I remember and give it a try. I am curious now.

B

beadlam

I have read books on the itouch and on the Droid (not from Amazon yet - but am waiting excitedly). Love the experience! I don't even want to read from a regular format book anymore. I find the experience to be the same as reading a hard book (getting lost in the experience) and I find the reading a bit faster, since you're reading down and very little across - your eyes don't have to move as much, if that makes sense. Also, being able to decide on the text size is a treat for my aging eyes.