Amazon App Store for Android Went Live Today

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
I just took another look and it does look like all three of the AB apps are free. At least for today. My apologies Jax ;)

The free versions of Angry Birds and Angry Birds Seasons have ads. The paid-for version does not. RIO has no ads and is free but only today. That's the differences.

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
Thank you no edit button. :D

The ad free versions are paid, while the free versions are the same as the ones in the market right?

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
It replaces your market versions, and keeps all your settings and data intact.

Now another question. How does it update them? Does it update through the market, so I don't have to open the app store?

urklegrue

Reaction score
I just took another look and it does look like all three of the AB apps are free. At least for today. My apologies Jax ;)

The free versions of Angry Birds and Angry Birds Seasons have ads. The paid-for version does not. RIO has no ads and is free but only today. That's the differences.

Thanks for the clarification! I get it now. :)

StormyHeather

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S21
Twitter
GAPeachHeather
I have an Amazon account and got the email that the Amazon App store was live. You just have to provide an email that you get on your phone, because the link to the app store is sent as a link for you to download from or you provide your phone number. Now, it already knows that I have a Droid X, without me having to tell it what kind of phone I have.

It does say that it doesn't support AT&T Android, so head's up on that. There are notes under an app (TuneSync) that AT&T is working on a fix.

I do notice that there is a charge for Angry Birds Season, though. I got that free through Google's Market.

There do appear to be free apps that you can get. And, my email said that I can get a "great paid app" free every day. Now, I don't know how many days that's supposed to be!

I like the review section. It is just like Amazon's regular review section, so you can put more information on what you like and dislike about the program. That is one problem that I have with the Google Market. Also, the description for the program can be long, which you don't get with the Google Market.

So far, I'm impressed. I mean, I've had what, 15 mins of play with it. That's enough time, right? It looks pretty, too! Yeah, I'm drawn to bright and shiny objects. :blink:

:icon_ banana:

StormyHeather

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S21
Twitter
GAPeachHeather
Oops. OK - I see where there's an Angry Birds, Angry Birds Free, Angry Birds Seasons, Angry Birds Seasons Free.

It was confusing. Refer back to "drawn to bright and shiny objects" in my previous post. :)

veetvoojagig

Reaction score
Hmmm....Angry Birds Rio won't install on my Droid 2. Just says 'Application not installed'

Howardmgm3

Reaction score
I went to the Android Marketplace on my Droid and searched for Amazon App. I got two choices. Amazon MP3 and Amazon.com. I assume the Amazon.com is the one I want to download to be able to download the free Angry Birds Rio?
Thanks..

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I went to the Android Marketplace on my Droid and searched for Amazon App. I got two choices. Amazon MP3 and Amazon.com. I assume the Amazon.com is the one I want to download to be able to download the free Angry Birds Rio?
Thanks..

I think you have to get it from Amazon. Don't think their app store is on the market.

Sent from somewhere...

StormyHeather

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S21
Twitter
GAPeachHeather
De-registering a Device

I went through and read the Help page for the Amazon Android Appstore ("AAA"). One thing that I read that was disturbing was this:

"Please note, if you deregister your device you will lose access to the apps that you've purchased from the Amazon Appstore."

I find it disturbing that if you purchase something and decide to de-register your phone, whether for an AAA policy or whatever, that for any app that you purchased, you wouldn't have access to those apps. Now, I don't know if they mean that you wouldn't be able to upgrade your app or re-download your app, which I would understand because you've de-registered your phone or if you can't open and play Angry Birds Rio because you've de-registered your phone.:confused:

I have an email into AAA help to find out what they mean which regards to de-registering your phone. Now, at this time I don't see a need to and I haven't purchased anything. Yet. I've only downloaded Angry Birds Rio (because it was FREE! dancedroid)

Hopefully it is a simple answer. That's my fervent hope.

Howardmgm3

Reaction score
Whoa...
I downloaded the Amazon app and was able to not only download Angry Birds Rio for free but Angry Birds Seasons for free also.
Very cool.....

funkyb

Reaction score
Hey no matter how you feel about using it, having two Android app stores can't be worse than only 1.

sidsixseven

Reaction score
I'm not seeing much in the way of a difference between the actual market apps themselves on the phone. But if you are buying on the internet -- it's hard to beat the way Amazon does it.

Unlike Google, their business is first and foremost as a retailer and the store on the site is lightyears ahead of Google's market. I'm already a fan and the 'free apps' thing is just a bonus.

As more and more people make purchases, the other data (users who bought this also bought & customers who browsed this product bought) will become vastly more useful.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just bought a boatload of stuff from Amazon. I seem to do that every tax season I dont owe alot in bills or get alot back in tax returns.

Amazon and newegg are 2 of my favorites sites to give money to...lol

I have to agree with the above post. Amazon Android App Store is light years ahead and you can have very detailed reviews of stuff you buy. And it has room for lots more info about the product.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I love that I can download Rio for free but it crashes everytime.