Amazon App Store for Android Went Live Today

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
amazon_apps_angrybirdsrio.png

It looks like that rumor from yesterday turned out to be true. The Amazon App Store for Android went live this morning. It has some pretty nifty features. Here are just a few:
  • Filter apps by featured categories
  • Each listing has multiple screenshots and as a fully formatted description
  • Amazon reviews - just like from their website
  • Some apps have a full preview mode that Amazon calls 'Test Drive' that allows you to try them out in your browser window
Also, Amazon is running a pretty amazing promotion. Amazon is going to feature a FREE premium app, every day for an undefined period of time! The free premium app for today is none other than their brand new exclusive "Angry Birds Rio". Check it out to grab Angry Birds Rio before the day is gone, and let us know what you think of the Amazon App Store in the forums.

Source: AndroidPolice via Amazon Appstore

ukyfan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is there an amazon appstore app.. or access would be through browser only?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
There is an app. you go to sign up and give them your email and phone # and you will get a text with a link to download the app.

My problem is that they are asking for a CC # before you can do anything. As of right now I can not download anything even if it is a free app. Is there a way around this since I do not want to put a CC# down right now.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is there an amazon appstore app.. or access would be through browser only?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
There is an app. you go to sign up and give them your email and phone # and you will get a text with a link to download the app.

My problem is that they are asking for a CC # before you can do anything. As of right now I can not download anything even if it is a free app. Is there a way around this since I do not want to put a CC# down right now.

Probably not... the Market is the same way... has to have something on file to bill you.

Other than my desire for Angry Birds Rio I don't see a need for another Market at all.

Maybe it's just me :(

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
Two comments/criticisms:

1) You need a One-Click-enabled account (complete with associated credit card) to download paid apps and at least the Free App of the Day (I'm not sure about purely free apps). This doesn't bother me - I buy my MP3s from Amazon so I'm good to go here.
2) The AppStore apparently doesn't distinguish from multiple different devices when it "syncs" your apps. So it thinks my tablet should have the same apps on it as my phone does. I don't like this - I hope there is some customization to this (have barely used it so it may already be there - not sure).

I'm all about free RIO. :)

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
Other than my desire for Angry Birds Rio I don't see a need for another Market at all.

Maybe it's just me :(

Well, this market will "usually" be cheaper than Google's since Amazon forces its developers to allow Amazon to sell their products at a lower-than-desired price. So to you as a consumer, that's something to keep in mind. For example, SwiftKey is $1.79 from Amazon and $1.99 from Google. Nothing miraculous, but 10% off.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks Jax.... I did forget that before I made my statement.

ukyfan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
that was the only reason I was going on there. I think I might have an old AMEX gift card that I will try putting on there to see if that will work. Also it looked like they are charging for apps that are free in the normal market. I thought I saw that the normal Angry Birds was like $5 or so

urklegrue

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the original and Seasons are ad-free on Amazon, if they are usually 99 cents? And what would happen if I downloaded them if I already have the Market versions on the phone?