am i going nuts? question on locking phone

topaz330

Reaction score
i can't figure out how to get a security password on the phone so when you unlock the phone you need to input your password to get into it. i see theres the pattern lock but i don't want to use that. any suggestions?

edit nevermind, i just saw the faq... but any app recommendations for locking the phone?

crownedzero

Reaction score
Built-in "pattern" lock app. Also have the option to put a passwd on the SD card. Check the settings.

Lock 2.0 but it isn't a freebie.

OP
T

topaz330

Reaction score
i would get lock 2.0 but theres comments on how glitchy it is and how it messes with the notifications. hopefully a new app will come out soon so i can put the lock on.

xkwwwx

Reaction score
go to homescreen leave one open space, menu>add>widgets>screenawake and screenOn...... this will give you locking options

DroidFan

Reaction score
i can't figure out how to get a security password on the phone so when you unlock the phone you need to input your password to get into it. i see theres the pattern lock but i don't want to use that. any suggestions?

edit nevermind, i just saw the faq... but any app recommendations for locking the phone?

I used the locking app that was preinstalled with the Droid.

Settings > security > change unlock pattern

You'll get a series of dots that you get to determine the pattern to unlock the Droid with. It's pretty cool and very easy to set up.

SwordOfWar

Reaction score

You'll get a series of dots that you get to determine the pattern to unlock the Droid with. It's pretty cool and very easy to set up.

Yes, he stated he knows about the pattern feature. It seems like he is asking about a way to add a text password, or one you type in.

I prefer the pattern and like it, so I've never looked for other alternatives. You could use Lock 2.0 but I prefer to use as little apps as possible. I don't like running so many apps for basic features included on the phone. I need that space for extra apps that actually do something I couldn't normally do.

OP
T

topaz330

Reaction score

Yes, he stated he knows about the pattern feature. It seems like he is asking about a way to add a text password, or one you type in.

I prefer the pattern and like it, so I've never looked for other alternatives. You could use Lock 2.0 but I prefer to use as little apps as possible. I don't like running so many apps for basic features included on the phone. I need that space for extra apps that actually do something I couldn't normally do.

yeah i was looking at lock 2.0 and it looks promising but from what i'm reading its not that secure and has glitches on the droid. people are saying all they need to do is reset the phone to bypass the password input which defeats its purpose.

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
well you can probably bypass everything with a reset. But, since that would get rid of most of your things (except probably your multimedia on your card) it doesn't really matter.

Thats similar to like reformatting a PC to get into it. It is possible, but then you lose the operating system and the person's files.

Looks like your going to have to use an app, as I see no native option for a text password. Although, I think you should really give the pattern a shot. Its much faster to input the pattern than type a password out. For example, I made a pattern in the form of a "R" because my nickname is Rusty. I think its neat, and its faster for me to swipe my finger through the dots, than it is to wait for a virtual/real keyboard and type a password out.

I do wish I could customize the failsafe options though. I'd like to decrease the possible chances to 3 instead of 5, and increase the wait to 1 minute instead of 30 seconds. Just to make it more secure, however I doubt it would really make much of a difference so its not a huge problem.

I do see how this could be a problem if people watch you input your pattern, since its easier to see, remember and notice. So if your phone has financial info or for business use, you might want to be careful inputting your pattern around people.

Try changing it once a month, and most importantly, don't lose or misplace it and it won't matter to begin with.

Xris

Reaction score
Definitely recommend the dots over any password app. More secure and.. free?

jthorpe

Reaction score
Definitely recommend the dots over any password app. More secure and.. free?

Hmm, I would beg to differ on that. I see this as a real problem given my profession and the need to keep information on my phone secure. I asked one of the guys I worked with to try and figure out the pattern. He did it in about two seconds. Turned off the screen, looked for the swipe pattern (since my screen wasn't cleaned for a day or so) and viola, he was in it.

Pattern sucks, unless you plan on wiping your screen clean every 30 minutes. I love this phone, but security needs improvement.

gatewayad

Reaction score
Agree, I did the same thing with a buddies took the screen to black and saw his swipes got it on first try.
HELP>>>> HELP>>>> HELP>>>>
Now my problem is I cant get the pattern lock off, I go to settings>location & security and under require pattern, no matter how many times or how long i press it I cant get the checkmark to go away. Does anybody know what i'm doing wrong?

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
Do you people frequently unlock the pattern without checking anything on the phone? or do you unlock it, then hand it to them to try it?

If you do anything on the screen after unlocking the phone, it would go over the "pattern smudge" left by the unlock pattern, and keep them from guessing it that way.

This is only a problem if you unlock the pattern and immediately give it to someone, before the unlock smudge on the screen is messed up.

In a real situation, I think it is less likely that the attacker will have a clear smudge to unlock the phone given the above information.

But, if this is truly a big problem, just take the time to wipe your screen after using the phone, or just move your finger around the screen real quick to mess the unlock smudge up.