Question about Droid security

Fletchi18

Reaction score
I am seriously thinking of switching to a Droid (or iPhone....but right now, after what I have seen, Droid has pulled out in front!!), but I have a few questions:
- How secure is the device? I am coming from Blackberrys and I am very security conscious.
- Are there things I can do to make it more secure? Like password protecting the device? Or having it lock after X minutes of inactivity?

I can't think of any more questions right now, but if anyone has any more security related info, that would be fantastic!

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
it won't have your back if somebody is going to mug you. It's very unreliable in that aspect.

But you can pw protect it when you lock it or do the pattern lock.

You can set the duration of time it takes to go into sleep/lock mode as well.

There are many apps as well that will store pw's or other sensitive info you don't want people seeing. So yes in that aspect it's very secure.

OP
F

Fletchi18

Reaction score
Bah!!! My Pearl once took one for me in a bar, so that's a strike against Droid right there! HAHAHAH!!

Seriously, thanks for the info. The more I read about this device, the more I like it. Heck, even my wife is thinking about getting one!! Although, if that happens, my life will be spent showing her how to do everything and my device will be untouched!!

paq237

Reaction score
As some of the authors implied, there's a number of ways to measure security. In addition to the items listed by others, one thing to keep in mind is that unlike the iPhone, it's fairly trivial to get to your bits that are stored on the removable media - even if you have a 'perfect' password in place.

Keep this in mind when you measure security - it's certainly a vulnerability.

Personally, I prefer removable storage, and I prefer to have a smart phone with all of the features of the Droid. Nonetheless, if I were to ever loose it I would consider all data on it compromised (and thus don't store critical material upon it).

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Don't save critical data on your phone. I don't care what kind of security it's got... BB or not... just smarter to be safe than sorry.