ADW Launcher question....

djakrse

Reaction score
ADW ex has 4d scrolling and an option for the old 3d style scrolling to. I have the paid version and I use the 4d scroll feature. It's pretty cool.
How is 4D different from 3D scrolling? The 3D scrolling was where the apps seemed to scroll on a conveyor belt, rounding the pulleys at the top and bottom. 4D would be... 3D scrolling in time? :D Sounds like a marketing gimmick to differentiate the feature from its previous use in the free version.
Sorry my jack*ssery was not intended for you. Srs question, is the 4D scrolling just rebranded 3D scrolling like the old HelixLauncher2 or is there some difference?

helix2_app_lancher.PNG

xush

Reaction score
I didn't use the 3d animation, but from what you're showing & describing, it seems to be the same thing

djakrse

Reaction score
Whats so special about ADW launcher? I am using Go EX Launcher. I havent tried any others. Are there any features that really stand out for you?
No prob. ADW rules!
I haven't tried Go launcher so I can't really compare, but the features I like the most are difficult to describe really, just the options you have in configuring it. Swiping the screen to display notifications, apps, or a hidden launcher dock, for instance. The configurable hidden dock is similar to the sliding dockbar in Home++, but it is only for shortcuts. The shortcuts are configurable, including using custom icons. The standard dock is also configurable, similar to Launcher Pro. You can move the app drawer button around or remove it even and re-add it later, the same as any custom shortcut.

Most, if not all, widgets are supported, so there's no worry your favorite widgets won't work. There are also tons of themes available (rarely free I think), though I don't use any of them.

There are really so many features and configurable options, it is easy to make things work the way you like them. You can also backup and restore settings once you get it how you like it. :)

djakrse

Reaction score
I make tons of wallpapers and swap them out a lot. One of my friends prefers to not show any apps, etc. on his primary homescreen, including dock bars (hard to argue against, since he uses my walls). You can do that with ADW. Swipe down to show notifications, swipe up to show hidden dockbar (you can put the app drawer shortcut on the hidden bar; custom shortcut > pick activity as ADW launcher action > open/close app drawer; drag to dockbar). Cool

xush

Reaction score
yeah, it lets you run a really clean-looking setup, I like that too. I've been using it so long I don't remember what the phone can do stock and what I needed ADW to accomplish. I think the ability to resize widgets came w/ ADW? Much more flexibility with the dock, as mentioned previously. Overall, I feel like it made my phone faster and more stable. At the very least, you can customize and edit much easier.

cece5702

Reaction score
I use GO Ex Launcher and I'm pleased with it. It may just be me but my phone seems to operate a lot faster when switching apps.
The looping seems smooth to me, maybe a millisecond or 2 slower, but I hadn't noticed til you mentioned it.

I will say I've always debated whether its really worth going to the paid version or not; to me it's mostly superfluous features. I liked the free one so much I was happy to donate and upgrade, but I didn't feel like there were that many advantages to the ex version when I finally got it. Most of the really useful stuff is in the free version.

cece5702

Reaction score
Do you have the paid version? If so, is it much different than the free version?
yeah, it lets you run a really clean-looking setup, I like that too. I've been using it so long I don't remember what the phone can do stock and what I needed ADW to accomplish. I think the ability to resize widgets came w/ ADW? Much more flexibility with the dock, as mentioned previously. Overall, I feel like it made my phone faster and more stable. At the very least, you can customize and edit much easier.

xush

Reaction score
Do you have the paid version? If so, is it much different than the free version

I have the paid version, yes. Personally, I don't feel it is MUCH different, no. most of the upgrades are in the animations & transitions. Ex is definitely more customizable & flexible, but I wouldn't say there are a ton of improved features. I think you can see most of them demo'd on youtube.

I don't think the paid version is a waste of $, but it's also not the mind-blowing revelation (compared to the free version) that people seemed to indicate in their comments and posts.

Last edited: