Advance calculator trigonometric functions.

Oscar Ramirez

Reaction score
My new phone is a Motorola Droid 2 (Android version 2.2). The Advance Calculator's trigonometric functions is not calculating right. Let us say we do the following calculations:

Cos(60)= -0.952412, correct answer should be 0.5
Sin(30)= -0.988031, correct answer should be 0.5
Tan(45)= 1.0, correct answer should be 1.0.

Maybe I am entering the numbers and operator keys out of sequence but something is wrong with the answers. Can you help me with this? Thank you.

Jmart922

Reaction score
Don't have a droid 2, but a droid 1 and I used real calculator to solve your example problems and worked fine, give real calculator a try, if that's the stock calculator program that came with the phone then try looking through the settings, maybe something is up within the app, restart phone or what not

MontyMo

Reaction score
I use HandyCalc. Check it out it is MUCH more than a calculator

cap11.jpg

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
My new phone is a Motorola Droid 2 (Android version 2.2). The Advance Calculator's trigonometric functions is not calculating right. Let us say we do the following calculations:

Maybe I am entering the numbers and operator keys out of sequence but something is wrong with the answers. Can you help me with this? Thank you.

Your probelm is that your calculator is defaulting to radians mode. To get the answers you are expecting, it needs to be in degrees mode.

Those answers are correct in radians.

BTW, I use RealCalc. Works well and is free, has a nice unit converter as well.

EDIT: looks like there's no way to make the stock calculator app use anything but radians. I have a Droid 1, but it works just like you describe. RealCalc (or another 3rd party calc app) is your answer.

EDIT2: Thanks for the HandyCalc suggestion, MontyMo. I now have 2 third-party calculators installed on my phone!

wilmera

Reaction score

the problem is this you are using a java library and this library use the number in radians not grades you have to use a previous step to convert grades to radians

NevW

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LK K10
Hi all,, I just encountered same prob on my LG K10.. takes 2 steps,, to work in degrees tap "Deg" button top row between "x2" and "AC" and it will change to "Deg" top LH corner, THEN, use "Shift" to change to "atan" mode for entering "atan(1 / 1)" = 45 (degrees)