Add Storage To Your Note 5 Without SDcard

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

The biggest complaint of the Note 5 has to be the lack of a micro sdcard slot. Their are two memory variants available so far for the Note 5. You have a choice between a 32GB version and a 64GB version. Their is a 128GB version said to be in the works, but may not be available in the USA. The 32GB version ends up giving you about 24GB of actual storage space after you account for the space that Touchwiz takes up.

I personally don't need much more than that since I am not a heavy app user, and don't really store songs and movies on my device. I use services like Pandora and Netflix to stream music being that I still have unlimited data. Many of you that do not have unlimited data and are not always around wifi store lots of music on your device. The Galaxy Note 5 actually supports OTG "On The Go" micro USB support. You can use an OTG USB cable to connect a high speed flash drive you already have to your device for extra storage, or you can grab an OTG flash drive.

OTG Cable $9
Sandisk 32GB OTG Flash Drive $13
Sandisk 64GB OTG Flash Drive $24
Sandisk 16GB OTG Flash Drive $9

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm texting with a friend, while reading this post, that is getting a Note5 tomorrow and sent him that very link of the 64GB otg flash drive. I'm really enjoying mine even though I don't really need it. He's ordering one tonight .

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Ordered one about a week ago and so far love it. Very useful for media on my old 2012 Nexus 7.

Powarun

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Personally I like having an OTG cable and attach a flash drive, rather have the flexibility. Though once USB C comes out for the mainstream, a USB C flashdrive would be awesome.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I use mine to transfer between my phone and my PC when I don't have a cable and to store extra stuff that I don't need the phone thinking it should backup to the cloud, but I'd still like to have handy.

Can't beat the price on these little guys.

sharkattack99

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S8+
Is the S6 edge+ OTG compatible? I would think it would be since it is a note 5 just no s-pen.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is the S6 edge+ OTG compatible? I would think it would be since it is a note 5 just no s-pen.
Samsung includes the drivers for otg in their software. I don't know why that particular model would be any different but if it did not come with the drivers there are importer/exporter apps that include them for such as that. I think ES File Explorer also includes the drivers if you need them.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 20u AT&T
Twitter
kixfan

I use the SDcard in my Note 3 to actually run apps from so I don't think this would work so well for me. I always move downloaded apps to SDcard to save space on my phone. It would be a pain to have to carry this around whenever i want to play a game etc. They are nice for the price though.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I use the SDcard in my Note 3 to actually run apps from so I don't think this would work so well for me. I always move downloaded apps to SDcard to save space on my phone. It would be a pain to have to carry this around whenever i want to play a game etc. They are nice for the price though.
Thought I do some of this myself, what's taking up all of the space on your phone that makes you need to move them to the sd card? Just too many apps, or are you saving pictures and things to the phone memory?

sharkattack99

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S8+
For me I use my phone as the Main picture and video capture device so the sd card was where I stored my videos and pictures...I did use it for apps too but not a big deal for me on that so this would be a good idea for me..I mean they give you the ability to capture 4k video but no SD card to put it on lol kind of strange. I may look into this.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
For me I use my phone as the Main picture and video capture device so the sd card was where I stored my videos and pictures...I did use it for apps too but not a big deal for me on that so this would be a good idea for me..I mean they give you the ability to capture 4k video but no SD card to put it on lol kind of strange. I may look into this.
My 64GB one moves stuff from the phone to it VERY quickly. I was already in the habit of backing photos and videos off device so it only eliminated the step of looking for my otg cable and card reader before copying off device onto something else. Direct plug, move media, unplug after tapping the script in the pull down bar to safely remove the drive, take the few steps from my sofa to my desktop, plug other end of otg flash drive into usb port, move media, click the safely remove icon. Done. Files copied onto a device I can save the media on and/or to another spot as well. No cloud needed.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 20u AT&T
Twitter
kixfan
Thought I do some of this myself, what's taking up all of the space on your phone that makes you need to move them to the sd card? Just too many apps, or are you saving pictures and things to the phone memory?
Not sure if it's as much a need now as a habit. I do have a ton of apps I use though. Enough that my phone was full until I started moving them to the SDcard. Now i just do it by default. I've been slowly deleting the ones I no longer use regularly. Last weekend I ended up having to do factory restore after updating a ROM the wrong way...didn't follow directions...and I accidentally restored all apps in titanium backup...it was 897 apps. Spent Sunday deleting a ton of unneeded apps. Not how I wanted to spend my weekend. LOL

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
One day I was using my OTG adapter, and my 128 stick with my Nexus 6, and the darn thing kept disconnecting because I kept hitting the darn adapter by mistake (on a train for 4 hours a day, so shifts and rocking are a common occurrence).

I thought there had to be a better way.

BEHOLD:
HooToo Tripmate Nano
http://www.amazon.com/HooToo-Wireless-Router-Access-Companion/dp/B00HZWOQZ6

With this "inexpensive" gadget you can WIRELESSLY transmit music, pictures and video to your Android (or iOS :-( ) device.

My setup is as follows:
- 10000 mah Power brick
- 128 GB stick
- Tripmate Nano
- Patience

I plug my USB key into the Tripmate Nano, then plug the Nano into the power brick.
Next I connect, via Wifi, to the Tripmate. Voila, instance access to my STUFF.

It took some time to get everything working just right (maybe about 1 hour), but now everything works seamlessly.

Since I carry a bag to and from work, everything stays out of site. The only thing I'm holding is my Android device.

Zen.

Note: you do not need 10000 mah to power the Tripmate, this is just what I bought. A 2000 mah powerbrick should work just fine. The Tripmate just needs power somehow. Also, they have newer ones that you can charge, as they come with an integrated powerbrick.

This also has several other uses as well, but this was my primary use for the Tripmate Nano.

Let me know if anyone is interested in a full review.

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
One day I was using my OTG adapter, and my 128 stick with my Nexus 6, and the darn thing kept disconnecting because I kept hitting the darn adapter by mistake (on a train for 4 hours a day, so shifts and rocking are a common occurrence).

I thought there had to be a better way.

BEHOLD:
HooToo Tripmate Nano
http://www.amazon.com/HooToo-Wireless-Router-Access-Companion/dp/B00HZWOQZ6

With this "inexpensive" gadget you can WIRELESSLY transmit music, pictures and video to your Android (or iOS :-( ) device.

My setup is as follows:
- 10000 mah Power brick
- 128 GB stick
- Tripmate Nano
- Patience

I plug my USB key into the Tripmate Nano, then plug the Nano into the power brick.
Next I connect, via Wifi, to the Tripmate. Voila, instance access to my STUFF.

It took some time to get everything working just right (maybe about 1 hour), but now everything works seamlessly.

Since I carry a bag to and from work, everything stays out of site. The only thing I'm holding is my Android device.

Zen.

Note: you do not need 10000 mah to power the Tripmate, this is just what I bought. A 2000 mah powerbrick should work just fine. The Tripmate just needs power somehow. Also, they have newer ones that you can charge, as they come with an integrated powerbrick.

This also has several other uses as well, but this was my primary use for the Tripmate Nano.

Let me know if anyone is interested in a full review.
If it wasn't for price compared to ones like in the OP and the fact that I didn't NEED the extra storage space, I would've gotten something like this. Would save a component or two from your setup.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Wirel...40532171&sr=1-3&keywords=wireless+thumb+drive

Batman8

Reaction score

The biggest complaint of the Note 5 has to be the lack of a micro sdcard slot. Their are two memory variants available so far for the Note 5. You have a choice between a 32GB version and a 64GB version. Their is a 128GB version said to be in the works, but may not be available in the USA. The 32GB version ends up giving you about 24GB of actual storage space after you account for the space that Touchwiz takes up.

I personally don't need much more than that since I am not a heavy app user, and don't really store songs and movies on my device. I use services like Pandora and Netflix to stream music being that I still have unlimited data. Many of you that do not have unlimited data and are not always around wifi store lots of music on your device. The Galaxy Note 5 actually supports OTG "On The Go" micro USB support. You can use an OTG USB cable to connect a high speed flash drive you already have to your device for extra storage, or you can grab an OTG flash drive.

OTG Cable $9
Sandisk 32GB OTG Flash Drive $13
Sandisk 64GB OTG Flash Drive $24
Sandisk 16GB OTG Flash Drive $9