TIP: Expandable Removable Storage On The Galaxy S6

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Everyone is all upset about the fact that Samsung decided to take away the beloved sdcard slot from the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge. As phones more towards a reliance on cloud storage we can be left out in the cold. Cloud storage is not always a viable option. You need a good internet connection for cloud storage to work. If you are out and about this means you have to kill your data limit just to access your files! This is a huge bummer, but there is an alternative.

The Galaxy S6 has on the go usb compatibility built right in. This feature used to require you to be rooted, but that is no longer the case. You can grab a microusb drive and just load the files you want to keep to that. Once you plug in the usb drive the storage will show up as usable on your device and you can just move your files over to the card this way you will have access to all your files whether or not you are around a good wifi connection!

Ultra MicroUSB 2.0 OTG Drive

OP
DroidModderX

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i believe it works on other modern android phones

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
It will work for most all Android phones and tablets. Most have support for OTG cables and would support this as well.

[edit] Ninja'd ;)

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I ordered a 64 gig for my turbo... That way I can flash all my data and do fdr's and put the data back... I'll let you know how it works when I get it..

Mine is USB 3.0 and micro USB compatible thought.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
Don't be surprised when the Note 5 comes out with SD Card. But OTG Options are always nice.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
You can also buy a OTG Cable off eBay for $3 and USB any USB Flash Drive you may already have.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
If you have any Samsung phone this will work OOTB.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I like the idea of having everything from my turbo. In one spot.. In my pocket..

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Would this work just with the Samsung s6 or any other android phone?

Sent from Droid Turbo using Tapatalk
If the device is OTG enabled it will work. Any phone any tablet..

GAstorino

Reaction score
I bought an OTG connector from Amazon for a couple of bucks and hooked up a Western Digital My Passport Ultra USB 3.0 2 Terabyte drive to my Galaxy S5 phone right off and works great. Granted it will suck battery but have back up battery and you will have enough movies and ebooks to last a trip around the globe. Amazon.com LinkS Micro-USB 3.0 OTG Adapter in Black for Samsung Note 3 N9005 N9002 N9000 Nokia Lumia 2520 Tablet Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 Tab Pro 12.2 USB 3.0 A male to Micro B adapter for 2.5 hard disk Cell Phones Accessories

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
It's nice to have the option, but it's absolutely ridiculous that we are forced to carry/use this to get the storage we need.

And why not just make it so it takes the larger, cheaper full-sized SD cards?

GAstorino

Reaction score
It's nice to have the option, but it's absolutely ridiculous that we are forced to carry/use this to get the storage we need.

And why not just make it so it takes the larger, cheaper full-sized SD cards?
I have bought a small reader similar for $10 at Frys and works with a 64gb micro sd card and my 256 full size SD card. Just have to have a small OTG cable to get to work. Ordered the new Galaxy S6 that has the straight micro USB cord so I will maybe have a better setup and fewer parts since I don't have to do a usb conversion to get things to work right.