Activating somone else's new phone to my # help.

RAZRM

Reaction score
New to this forum, Howdy.

I'll get to the point and hope someone can gelp. This is probably a dumb question but I've never dealt with this before.

Over the weekend my phone was dropped in water and is not working. My upgrade isn't until July and I have no insurance. My mom who still has an old Razr flip phone that looks brand new and was eligible for her upgrade but doesn't want a smart phone. So I called verizon with her permission and had them upgrade her to a Razr M. My plan is to just activate her phone to my # but when I was talking to the verizon rep she stated, after the purchase went through, that the phone would come, in a sense pre programmed to my moms phones # and it would just need to be manually activated. My question is can I just activate it to my #? This may be alittle shady (trying to save myself some money) but is it illegal? Also is there anything I need to do to activate it to my # while possibly avoiding talking with a verizon rep? Also the verizon rep never discussed any data plan upgrades on my moms acct which she currently doesn't have, she pays $35.00em and wants it to stay that way. Wouldn't they require that she pays the extra for smart phone data plan?

Is it as simple as just calling verizon and giving them the phone id# and have them activate it to my #? This just has me a little nervous becuase they said that my mom's phone would be obsolete once it is activated becuase she never upgraded anything since she first got the phone back when it was still AllTell. So I can't activate her # to the Razr M becuase she wants to keep the same phone and plan she is currently on.

I hope my question wasn't to confusing. Any info would help.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
you need to activate it first on her number, then switch it to your line. you can change the plan back too for her.

Edit: just saw the airtell thing. not sure if itll reactivate.

OP
R

RAZRM

Reaction score
yeah that's the thing. The rep said her phone won't reactivate. So basically it sounds like I'll just be sending the phone back the day I get it and limp along with an old phone.

OP
R

RAZRM

Reaction score
So I just called verizon and layed the situation out to them to see what they would say. The rep said that basically my mom is allowed to get the upgrade and give me the phone. Her current plan will not change. They recommend I call them when activating the phone to see if they can take my mom off the sim card so I can activate it on my #. Or I can just go to a Verizon store and ask them for a new blank 4g sim card. The only thing they don't allow when doing this is the option to put insurance on the new phone.

BuzzKillBob

Reaction score
I've gotten my last two phones doing this. I've never had a problem getting them this way. When the phone comes in,I just call and ask them to hook the phone up on my number. They activate it on my grandma's line for about a min,then change the number on the SIM to mine. Always insure that if you have unlimited data,to ask and make sure you will keep it. I also have the option for insurance if I want it. Not sure why they told you that you can't get it. The insurance company doesn't care where or how you got your phone because they are a separate company.

Last edited: