A little experiment on battery life (live wallpapers)

justicw

Reaction score
This experiment is to find out how much battery live wallpapers consumes as compared to a normal background. For this experiment I used BB1.1 with the droidmod 1.2Ghz kernel. I set wireless on and set screen brightness to full. I also set the screen timeout to 30 min (at 25 min I touched the screen once) so the screen would stay on with as little interaction from me. I then fully charged my battery to 100% and turned the “water” live wallpaper on. I unplugged the droid and started my timer on my PC. After 1 hr I checked the battery usage and remaining battery life.

My usage was as follows:

1h 01m 26s since unplugged

Display 93%

Wi-Fi at 6%

Cell Standby at 2%

The battery had 60% remaining life after 1hr

I then repeated the experiment with a normal background. I charged my phone fully and then unplugged the phone without making ANY changes to the phone so I could have a consistent test.

This is what I got

1h 02m 47s since unplugged

Display 93%

Wi-Fi 6%

Cell Standby 2%

The battery had 90% remaining life after the 1hr test.

This is pretty interesting to me because the usage was EXACTLY the same on the battery. The only difference was the amount of battery used. The normal background had 30% more battery left just after 1 hr of being on. Remember there was NO interaction from me other then the 2 touches at 25 min and at 50 min. the SAME exact setup both times with no changes to apps or widgets or anything.

Also its worth noting that the droid was noticeably hotter during the first test (when I picked of the droid to get the results of the test). I could tell the droid was warm to the touch but the second time around the droid was room temp.

Can someone else try this test out to see what kind of battery drain we can expect with this feature enabled. This result actually makes me kind of sad because its such a COOL feature to have (you should have seen my friends when I was playing with all the live wallpapers hehe).

I don't think I'll be using live wallpapers right now (I'll just use it to wow my friends HEHE) because the battery drain is just too darn much. What do you guys think?

unix.punkx

Silver Member
Reaction score
I dunno, ive had Live Wallpapers for 3 days and havent really noticed that much of a difference in battery life. Maybe slightly but nothing terrible

OP
justicw

justicw

Reaction score
I dunno, ive had Live Wallpapers for 3 days and havent really noticed that much of a difference in battery life. Maybe slightly but nothing terrible

This experiment was done with the phone on all the time and me not letting it go into standby. I wanted to simulate a full day of usage but in a more controled way. I estimated that I have my screen on for about an hr a day messing around checking weather or what not.

Real life usage is probably a bit lower because standby saves SOOO much battery life.

cpjr

Reaction score
Same here running BB1.1 @ a constant 1ghz and w/ live wallpapers, no noticable difference in battery life vs. not running live wallpapers