Live wallpapers and battery life

codyodyody

Reaction score
How is the battery life when running the live wallpapers? I would imagine it would drain your battery like crazy

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have yet to try, after this weekend :)

However most of whom I've read online report they havent seen a major hit with it, but these have also been on ported ROMS, etc.

It would be nice to believe that the OTA, supposedly being optimized for the Droid, will be set so there is a minimal drain using them, but we'll all find out shortly right?

cybrwulf

Reaction score
I see no difference in battery life when using live wallpapers.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think it was sucking the life out of my battery. I was down to 60% from 100% in 3 hours day before yesterday with little use. Next day with no live wallpaper same amount of time I was at 90%.

I would think this would only matter if you droid was awake, and you would see some kind of indication in battery usage. So maybe it's just me but I'm going without live wallpaper.

cybrwulf

Reaction score
Odd, I have been running Live Wallpapers with ESE53 with no issues to battery life. I am down to 50% after a days use like normal.

SGTiger

Reaction score
I agree. I doubt hookbill is using one of the newer roms. I have been using Live Wallpaper with the new Ultimate Droid 7.8. I have seen no increase in battery drain. This rom that comes with Chevy's kernel runs cool overclocked to 1 Ghz and with Live Wallpaper. I am shocked at the increased battery life with Live Wallpaper over the Droidmod rom that I was using without Live Wallpaper.

SilentJay

Reaction score
On the ota update it doesn't seem to kill the battery, you have to assume there is extra usage but ya gotta think how long are you on your homepage for? Unless your like me and can stare into the star field for hours your on your homepage for seconds to pick an app or maybe a little longer if your showing off your slick phone to friends or anyone who will listen :)

Sweettooth

Reaction score
I'd assume it depends which live wallpaper you're using and how much you're playing with it. I was using the Neural Network one for a couple days and every time I'd unlock the screen or was sitting on the homescreen figuring out what else I could do to stay glued to the phone, I'd OCD-ishly tap the screen a bunch of times. Same goes with the Starfield one that I got, you can adjust how many stars are flying by, how fast, and if you double tap you sort of go into warp.

Obviously if you're real curious how much battery life it's eating up you can always go to Settings>About phone>Battery use.

mcinvaille

Reaction score
I to have not seen any measurable battery drain using LWP. It appears that when the phone is in Standby/Sleep that the movement of LWP stops (I see this based on where things were when I put it in sleep mode compared to where they are when I take it out of sleep/standby mode).

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Depends what you use. The water seems to burn alot of battery. Since I switched to moving grass it has gotten better. It probably comes down to how much activity is involved in the live wall paper.

Reaction score
I use the nexus one live wallpaper. Got it in the market. I've been monitoring the battery usage. After a full day of use I've never seen it above 2%, sometimes it doesn't even show up on the top usage apps. Other live wallpapers might make a difference, I don't know. Can only speak to the one I'm using.

radsaq

Reaction score
Battery consumption is definitely highly variable depending on the live wallpaper in use. Some of the ones I've used have never registered in the battery usage screen, others often show up at 2-3%, and a couple I've tried have been much higher.

justicw

Reaction score
I did a test a while back and it does decrease battery life. The best thing to do is to test it. Run with LW for about 2 hrs and then do the exact same thing without it :)

Thach

Reaction score
I thought at first it was making a huge difference with my battery. But after last night with me playing games on it for a couple hours like I normally do, it was only about 10% lower then normal. As others have stated, I think what you really do with your phone is going to change this outcome.

MotoAtrixGuy

Reaction score
Battery savers

Live wallpapers really drain my battery especially nexas revamped.. any battery saving apps that will help me? i have green power running. and also mobo task killer. they seem to work well together just wondering if theres somthing better?