A Few Questions About Rooting and Flashing 4.0.4 Update

bamorris2

Reaction score
ey everyone,

My bootloader is current unlocked, and I'm thinking of rooting (using Wugs toolkit) for the sole purpose of flashing the 4.0.4 update. But before I do, I have some questions that I'm hoping you can help with. Keep in mind that I am VERY unfamiliar with rooting/AOSP/CWM/etc, but I did previously root using Wug's toolkit. But I read somewhere that you can't receive OTA updates if rooted, so I did Wug's "flash back to stock". To my horrible dismay, this completely wiped/rest my device.

1. If I root again using Wug's toolkit, is there a way to UNroot that will not wipe/reset my phone?

2. If, once rooted, I flash the 4.0.4 update, does this wipe/reset my device in any way?

3. If, once the official 4.0.4 OTA comes out from VZW, what is the process to receive that official version from VZW? And, will any of this process involve wipe/reset of my phone? (and I don't mean another flash from the developer community)

4. There are so may threads, and the threads are so large, that I can't determine what is the best method to flash the 4.0.4 update. Does anyone have a direct link to such method (without having to read through 47,830 posts?

As you can tell, I don't want to do anything that will wipe/reset my phone. I don't want any of my data to be disrupted, and I don't want my home screens reset either. Basically looking to update to 4.0.4 the same way that it would be done if VZW pushed it out to my phone (i.e. No need to re-setup my phone).

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
You can flash the 4.0.4 OTA without the need for root if I'm not mistaken. That's what I would do if I were in your situation :biggrin: