64gb SD does work in Bionic

bladewriter

Reaction score
If 32gb isn't enough for you and you're willing to pay a premium, I can confirm that the SanDisk 64gb Class 6 microSDXC card will work with the Bionic. Got mine here

Amazon.com: SanDisk 64GB Mobile Ultra MicroSDXC Class 6 Memory Card with SD Adapter - Retail Packaging: Electronics

What I did:

1. Copy my entire 32gb card to PC (including any "hidden .??? files")
2. Power down, remove 32gb card, insert 64gb card.
3. Power up, ignore status bar message about SD card being damaged (if you see one).
4. Go to Settings > Storage. Mount SD card if necessary, otherwise just format it.
5. Copy back all my SD files to 64gb SD card.

Or you can just wait a few months as the price drops. Disclaimer: I'm not responsible if you bork your $150 sd card, even
if you follow my steps to the letter. Some people report you have to format the 64gb card on a PC first, but I was able to do it right on the phone.

EDIT: I forgot to mention: Bionic, rooted, 5.9.901, loads of bloat on ice

Last edited:

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Should I unmount the card before removing? That should take care of the damaged message.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
BestBuy has the Sandisk 64gig Class 6 card for $99.99.

OP
bladewriter

bladewriter

Reaction score
Should I unmount the card before removing? That should take care of the damaged message.

Yes, that's right. I had assumed the power cycle would unmount/mount the card, but manually unmounting before powering down is safest.

Last edited:
OP
bladewriter

bladewriter

Reaction score
Yep....Just ordered it. Sorry (I mean, when has Bestbuy EVER had a good price?)

Indeed and well said. I didn't even think for a moment to look at BB. I am taking solace in the thought that this is merely a sign of how fast the price is dropping and I'm just paying the price of being an early adopter (by about four days). Sigh.

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Blade,

Thanks for the heads-up. I did not know 64's were even out. I am game for one even if it only works for the PC.

As to functioning, I am assuming apps recognize it like Gallery and such? Have you tried files or exploring programs to see whether the 64 is accurately reported by the OS? Man, I love this technology.

Craig

OP
bladewriter

bladewriter

Reaction score
As to functioning, I am assuming apps recognize it like Gallery and such? Have you tried files or exploring programs to see whether the 64 is accurately reported by the OS? Man, I love this technology.

Craig

So far the 64 gb SD card works with everything I've tried - Gallery, music, backups (astro, safestrap, titanium backup). The only glitch seems to be that some of the SD tools and tester apps in the Market only see the internal sd card at /sdcard not the removable card at /sdcard-ext. No problem using Root Explorer or ES File Explorer, although the "SC Card Analyst" in the latter has the same annoying flaw as the other testers - only sees the /sdcard not the /sdcard-ext.

rumblee1

Reaction score
Anyone know if the card will work in a non -rooted bionic?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score

I'm not sure, but I'm doing the same thing with a 32GB on my unrooted Bionic.

Interesting; when I had the 16GB in, it showed up as "Removable Drive" on my PC. It now says MOT, like the internal drive does.

Also I let the phone format it and it created a new LOST file folder. I left that one there and didn't move the old one. Both are empty, BTW.

Last edited:

Graymayre

Reaction score
I didn't even know XC was even released yet. It is nice to know that Moto stayed ahead by including XC support. I'm impressed

The answer is 42.
Oh, wait, you mean to tell me you need to know the question now?
Well, I can't answer that.

Graymayre

Reaction score

It doesn't matter if the phone is rooted or not whether or not it will support this.

The answer is 42.
Oh, wait, you mean to tell me you need to know the question now?
Well, I can't answer that.

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Blade,

Thanks for the additional detail. In your OP you said it worked, so I hoped my specific question was not rude. As long as the primary functions work, gallery, videos etc. I would be fine. Now to keep an eyeball on-line at the prices and availablity. I am pleased that they started at class 6, obviously recognizing that folks were gonna need video performance, not just raw storage. Thanks again for the heads-up.

Craig

So far the 64 gb SD card works with everything I've tried - Gallery, music, backups (astro, safestrap, titanium backup). The only glitch seems to be that some of the SD tools and tester apps in the Market only see the internal sd card at /sdcard not the removable card at /sdcard-ext. No problem using Root Explorer or ES File Explorer, although the "SC Card Analyst" in the latter has the same annoying flaw as the other testers - only sees the /sdcard not the /sdcard-ext.