4G LTE Pricing?

OP
jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Actually you are grandfathered in so long as your phone number is active on Verizon and your plan for that phone number does NOT change (dumbphone, then switch back to smartphone, etc). If you cancel service on your phone line then re-join verizon and reactivate the number, then you lose unlimited 3G/4G, assuming unlimited is temporary.

But that's terrific! No price change AND unlimited! Truly the best we could have hoped for. I see my Dinc going on eBay haha

That sounds a lot like an AT&T thing. Are you sure this applies to VZW?

No, I was told that by a rep, so no I really don't know (that's not sarcasm)....
Anyone chime in here?

Raptor007

Reaction score
I ran into a Verizon rep at the BB store near my office. My guess is she was covers the big box retailers for Verizon. I walked up as she was talking with the BB Mobile guy, and he was responding to the # of pre-orders, he said 5 so far. I commented it must be the TB they were talking about. They confirmed it. I chatted with them for about 10 minutes and she asked my opinion on why the TB, thoughts about the XOOM, why no iPhone etc.

In the end she commented the data plan is unlimited data and the prices were to remain the same as they are. I take it all with a grain of salt. Still Verizon is playing the cards smart, get people in, hooked on 4G speeds build the network out, then adjust pricing based on consumption and/or speeds.

For now at least it seems to be the same pricing with the unlimited caveat.

OP
jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Yep, that's apparently the general consensus, 4G is free... for now.

bassJAM

Reaction score
I kind of think they'll keep 4G pricing the same regardless. As new technology comes around it also becomes cheaper. Remember back in the day paying like $25/month for AOL dial-up. Cable/dsl is about the same price today factoring inflation.

JFDroid

Reaction score
I don't see 4G pricing going up too much, if at all. Verizon said sending the same amount of data over 4G is something like 30% cheaper than over 3G. If anything, I just see them putting in data caps for smartphones, or going to a throttle/speed based system with unlimited still.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

StinkyPete

Reaction score
I don't see 4G pricing going up too much, if at all. Verizon said sending the same amount of data over 4G is something like 30% cheaper than over 3G. If anything, I just see them putting in data caps for smartphones, or going to a throttle/speed based system with unlimited still.

Someone has to pay for building out the 4G network...

in any event... the bright side of a 2-year contract is a locked in price...

OP
jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
4G costs about 30% the cost of 3G.

And I am getting the TB now just in case they start capping 4G or charging extra for it in the future.

shaddix

Reaction score

I am interested in this. I haven't kept up with verizon prices, but were their data prices higher than they are now when they were building out their 3g network?

And does it cost more to put up LTE antennas than it does evdo antennas? I mean it isn't like they are having to build whole new towers is it? So their LTE rollout should actually be cheaper than their evdo rollout since they aren't buying all that steel and paying all those builders.

I am just talkin out my butt* here though. (Mod edit - Refrain from bad language)

Last edited by a moderator:

motty69

Reaction score

I am interested in this. I haven't kept up with verizon prices, but were their data prices higher than they are now when they were building out their 3g network?

And does it cost more to put up LTE antennas than it does evdo antennas? I mean it isn't like they are having to build whole new towers is it? So their LTE rollout should actually be cheaper than their evdo rollout since they aren't buying all that steel and paying all those builders.

I am just talkin out my here though.

I don't think the cell to tower is the expensive part, it's running fiber to the tower for the backhaul.

Sent from my Eris using DroidForums App

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

Reaction score

Yeah they have no legit reason to cap smartphone data other than for greed/more money. But throttling is gonna be a real *****, I hope they don't do it for 4G, just 3G.

And I'm surprised a mod didn't freak about you guys' mini conversation about LTE towers lol

shaddix2

Reaction score
I don't think the cell to tower is the expensive part, it's running fiber to the tower for the backhaul.

Sent from my Eris using DroidForums App

Yeha like I said I have really no idea

Also the mods here are fags.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
A tower costs about 100k to put up. Vzw makes an operating profit of billions of dollars lol...i dont see why they have to throttle bandwidth instead of making customers HAPPY and just erecting microcells in dense areas

Sent from the Blue Falcon cockpit on my Fission 2.4.3 D2G

Katnipthief

Reaction score
A tower costs about 100k to put up. Vzw makes an operating profit of billions of dollars lol...i dont see why they have to throttle bandwidth instead of making customers HAPPY and just erecting microcells in dense areas

They don't profit billions off that single 100k tower. Don't generalize. You want to debate, then find out how many 100k towers they have and how many miles of fiber they installed, and total cost of manpower, retail stores, call centers, office buildings, fleet equipment, then the profit will be more to scale. Learn business before you talk of it.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

kptphalkon

Reaction score

They don't profit billions off that single 100k tower. Don't generalize. You want to debate, then find out how many 100k towers they have and how many miles of fiber they installed, and total cost of manpower, retail stores, call centers, office buildings, fleet equipment, then the profit will be more to scale. Learn business before you talk of it.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

Im sorry, how much is the average customers monthly bill at? What's that, $78 you say? Multiplied by (nearly) a hundred million people you say??? Thats a LOT of money! Well gee mister :/

I dont claim to know much about business economics, but the logic in me is screaming that it doesn't cost anywhere near 8 billion dollars to employ 66,000 people.