4G connection problem (893, 901, 902)

broxstodavis

Reaction score
Okay, here's the situation. Whenever I update from 886, to 893, or 901, or even the new 902, I have problems connecting to 4G. I can usually set my phone into CDMA only mode and it can find 3G and stick to it well. It's only when I toggle it to LTE/CDMA that my phone wants to fight to find data. It'll find it, 4G, and then after about 30 secs, die off and lose service altogether. And then a bit later, come back about a minute later. It seems I have to leave my phone alone in order for it to come back as well. Anyone have any insight as to why these updates arent doing anything for me? Like I said, 886 works fine for the most part...

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I read that the 4G connection problem is coming from 2 directions. First is Verizon; somehow it doesn't aways accept the data request that the phone sends. The second is the phone's ability to quickly resend the request if denied.

That being said, my phone has had good luck with 4G ever since I got it and even before any updates. We live in a valley so there's little (or no) data inside, but 20' outside and I can generally get 4G. At my parent's house, 4G is rock solid. Is your problem the same no matter where you go?

OP
broxstodavis

broxstodavis

Reaction score
Ya it doesn't matter where I am. I go to school at Purdue and we have great 4G coverage here. But ever since these updates from 886, and doesn't want to hold onto the 4G....

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's too bad. I always wonder of I stood next to you in your location or you stood next to me in my location (San Diego) would a problem appear or go away.

People have gotten replacements and shown improvement, but that's a crap shoot. Some have gotten some of their bill knocked off because of their data problem.

There's a trick that might work. You remove the battery and sim card. Then you replace the battery and power up. Next you power down, remove battery and replace sim card and battery. Then you power up again.

Have a care, though. I did that yesterday and stuck the sim card back in wrong. It fried the card so I could only get 3G. Even at my parent's house the best it could do (after using Airplane Mode and Restart Connection) was a brief flash of 4G that was white. I took it into Verizon who changed my sim card for free. Works great.

OP
broxstodavis

broxstodavis

Reaction score
Okay, i might have to do that. Is there a way you can tell if it's "fried"?

don_droid

Reaction score
Okay, here's the situation. Whenever I update from 886, to 893, or 901, or even the new 902, I have problems connecting to 4G. I can usually set my phone into CDMA only mode and it can find 3G and stick to it well. It's only when I toggle it to LTE/CDMA that my phone wants to fight to find data. It'll find it, 4G, and then after about 30 secs, die off and lose service altogether. And then a bit later, come back about a minute later. It seems I have to leave my phone alone in order for it to come back as well. Anyone have any insight as to why these updates arent doing anything for me? Like I said, 886 works fine for the most part...

Yours might be a special case, if you have not yet speak with vzw tech support. No ideal really what might help, but maybe new sim card, or the tower near you might need some help, maybe your phone needs replaced. My connection is much better with each update.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is there a way you can tell if it's "fried"?

No, but I had a suspicion when all I had was 3G everywhere I went. I knew the card was reversed and I suspected me doing that must've done it.

When you do that trick, when you power up the phone will say "No sim card" if the card isn't in there. It also said that when the card was in the wrong way. When I put the card in the correct way, the message went way, but like I said, no 4G.

When I took it to the Verizon store they were able to check the sim card and saw that it was fried.

OP
broxstodavis

broxstodavis

Reaction score
Okay, Well I haven't put it in the wrong way yet, but maybe I did something else to it. I just find it weird that I had 4G before the updates, and afterwards I don't. So.....i don't know ha. And if the SIM card was fried, don't you think I couldn't get 3G too?

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Okay, Well I haven't put it in the wrong way yet, but maybe I did something else to it. I just find it weird that I had 4G before the updates, and afterwards I don't. So.....i don't know ha. And if the SIM card was fried, don't you think I couldn't get 3G too?

All I know is that my card was fried (according to Verizon) and I had 3G. When they changed cards, I had 4G. The sim card is the means for 4G with Verizon. See http://support.verizonwireless.com/information/4gsim.html

OP
broxstodavis

broxstodavis

Reaction score
Okay thanks, I might have to try that. Just wish I had a car here on campus ha.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Same boat as you. 901 screwed up my 4g. Went to the store and got a new SIM card, worked for about 30 minutes, then went back to 3g only. If I leave it on CDMA/LTE it kills the battery, so I can tell it's trying to connect just not. Can't find anything on it.

OP
broxstodavis

broxstodavis

Reaction score
Same boat as you. 901 screwed up my 4g. Went to the store and got a new SIM card, worked for about 30 minutes, then went back to 3g only. If I leave it on CDMA/LTE it kills the battery, so I can tell it's trying to connect just not. Can't find anything on it.
I did the same thing man, I got a new sim card, had 4G for about ten mins, and now....only 3G. I don't know what's going on.....

JRParsons

Reaction score
When you got the new SIM, installed it and turned on the phone? Did you dial *228, go through the whole verizon programming process for activation and roaming?

Don't do this, it's not for 4G phones, and there is speculation that it can fry your sim card.

Sent from my Illudium PU - 36 Explosive Space Modulator.