.902 OTA radio SUCKS!!... reverted back to .901

OP
Mbk

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Well I think where 3g is more prevalent the .902 radio probably runs better, but not here on Oahu/Honolulu.....and for me it is assuredly the .902 radio that is the problem when needing to run 4g almost exclusively. Back now on the .901 radio I'm now 4+ days without nit even a second of dropped signal....

So whatever they did between the .901 to the .902 radios f'd something up for me... but all's well for me on 901...;)

mantispid

Reaction score
Border Regions...

I've noticed that most of the 4G/3G hand-off problems have to do with being in a border region between the two types of coverage. For instance (unfortunately), my house is right where the 4G coverage ends. I have to manually set my phone to 3G-only in order to maintain a stable signal, otherwise it constantly tries to go back and forth and ultimately loses data completely (until toggling airplane mode, etc.).

This is not unique to the Bionic, btw. I've seen the same issue with anyone who visits my house. Such as with the Rezound, Nexus, etc.

OP
Mbk

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Well this problem I seem to have with .902 LTE radio in Honolulu isn't issues with being in any 'border regions', because as I mentioned it's almost exclusively 4G 'everywhere' with a few bowl type valley areas like the Salt Lake area between Red Hill and the Koolaus by Tripler Hospital (small pocket), but for some odd reason on .902 the 4G signal drops 'anywhere' out of the blue as if it is trying to toggle down to 3G, but because it only lasts for about 3 or 4 seconds the 4G comes back on before any 3G comes on.
But on the .901 LTE radio I'm solid 4G virtually all of the time, in fact I must have had 4G signal solid for the past 48 hours+ without any attempts to drop down into 3G. And the reason I am blaming the .902 OTA for screwing up LTE on my Bionic and/or my area is because the OTA to go to .902 from .901 flashes a new LTE radio..... something f's up with that new radio, I'm 99.9999% positive on that.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
And the reason I am blaming the .902 OTA for screwing up LTE on my Bionic and/or my area is because the OTA to go to .902 from .901 flashes a new LTE radio..... something f's up with that new radio, I'm 99.9999% positive on that.

I'm certainly not disbelieving you as we live in two different places. Maybe if we stood "shoulder to shoulder" where you live I might have problems.

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
Yeah honestly 902 has been horrible for me. Mine is doing exactly the same as the OP. 901 worked perfect for me and now im so pissed i went to 902.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
Mbk

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I'm certainly not disbelieving you as we live in two different places. Maybe if we stood "shoulder to shoulder" where you live I might have problems.

hahahaha, that one made me chuckle..:biggrin:... shoulder to shoulder...lol

Yeah honestly 902 has been horrible for me. Mine is doing exactly the same as the OP. 901 worked perfect for me and now im so pissed i went to 902.

I hear ya, .......fortunately you can go back to .901 by FZX'n back to .893 and then manually taking the .901 OTA.. that's what I did and now going on 5 days without even one second of dropped data

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
hahahaha, that one made me chuckle..:biggrin:... shoulder to shoulder...lol

I hear ya, .......fortunately you can go back to .901 by FZX'n back to .893 and then manually taking the .901 OTA.. that's what I did and now going on 5 days without even one second of dropped data

Well man idk how to do that. I guess i gotta be rooted to do that or is there a easier way? All i know is 902 has got to go. It literally will toggle 4G on and off as much as 10 or 15 times with in a minute. You'll watch the icon dissapear and then reappear. And it seems it overlooks 3G most of the time to. So your claims are spot on with me. Can u show me where to get back to 901?

mike02vr6

Reaction score
since .902, I have had a ton of trouble. one 901 if I kept 4g it was insanely fast! now in the same spots I fast 4g, it will say I have it but the speeds are 3x slower than 3g. my 4g drops constantly now that for the most part i just leave it in cdma only. Its nuts, I almost wanna complain so much that they give me another phone with maybe a better radio, I am kinda nervous though it could always be worse....

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
since .902, I have had a ton of trouble. one 901 if I kept 4g it was insanely fast! now in the same spots I fast 4g, it will say I have it but the speeds are 3x slower than 3g. my 4g drops constantly now that for the most part i just leave it in cdma only. Its nuts, I almost wanna complain so much that they give me another phone with maybe a better radio, I am kinda nervous though it could always be worse....

Mike you hit that on the nail, ive actually put mine in CDMA mode and it seemed to work flawless with 3G but once LTE is back on constant drops and very slow 4G speeds and half the time it shows its connected but it wont do anything and then the 4G icon thats lit blue will dissapear. So frustrating. If i can go back to 901 i will, if not vzw is gonna get some complaints by me.

BTW VR6s rule, VW FTW, i have a 04 GLI 1.8T, miss my VR tho.

OP
Mbk

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Well man idk how to do that. I guess i gotta be rooted to do that or is there a easier way? All i know is 902 has got to go. It literally will toggle 4G on and off as much as 10 or 15 times with in a minute. You'll watch the icon dissapear and then reappear. And it seems it overlooks 3G most of the time to. So your claims are spot on with me. Can u show me where to get back to 901?

You do not have to be rooted in order to go back to .901...

I'll outline how to do this if you are willing to try, it will however clear all your data, so you'd need to resync to get all your contacts and calendar back, and reinstall all of your market apps if it doesn't automatically...it won't clear your SDCard though...

In a nutshell what you'd be doing is to use RSDLite to reprogram your Bionic back to the 5.5.893 OTA, then manually place the .901 OTA on your sdcard and accept it like you would the regular OTAs.

Here's the breakdown of what's needed...
1/ You must have a fully charged battery to ensure you don't run out of power in the middle of the process...

2/ Download RSDLite, Moto drivers, and the .893 FXZ alternative from this thread... http://www.droidforums.net/forum/mo...-5-893-fxz-901-902-compatible-902-update.html

3/ Install RSDLite on your PC, and install the Moto USB driver for your PC, 32 bit or 64 bit based on what your PC is, (if you already have the driver installed then no need)...

4/ Unzip the .893 FXZ somewhere on your PC that you will remember...

5/ Shut off your Bionic and then reboot into Fastboot by pressing Power and 'Down' Volume at the same time (should say Battery OK, OK to Program, Connect USB Data Cable...)

6/ Connect your Bionic to your PC and launch RSDLite....(your Bionic should now say ..Battery OK, OK to Program, Transfer Mode: USB Connected)...

7/ On the RSDLite screen you should see that it says Fastboot ...USB....Connected, from there you use the tab with the three dots that is next to the Start tab and browse to that FXZ folder, to the NEWVRZ_XT875_5.5.893.XT875.Verizon.en.US_CFC_01 xml file in that folder....Press the Start tab/button, it will go thru several steps, let it finish all it's steps until your Bionic reboots to the Welcome Android setup screen...

8/ Re-setup your Bionic like you did when you first got the phone.... You should now be on stock 5.5.893 and it's radios...

9/ From there download this .901 OTA zip and place it loose on your SDCard-Ext ...

10/ Now power off your Bionic, then reboot into stock boot menu by pressing the Power button and both the Up and Down Volume keys all together...

11/ When in that Boot menu, press the Volume down button once to get to Recovery, then press Volume Up, it will then come to a screen with an Android guy with an exclamation point, press both Volumes Up and Down together (not power button this time)

12/ You will then be in Stock Recovery, press Volume down to scroll down to the 'apply update from sdcard', press the power key and it will go to your sdcard-ext menu.... from there scroll down to the update901.zip and press the power key....it will then apply the .901 OTA. Upon reboot you will be on the .901 OTA and it's radios...

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
You do not have to be rooted in order to go back to .901...

I'll outline how to do this if you are willing to try, it will however clear all your data, so you'd need to resync to get all your contacts and calendar back, and reinstall all of your market apps if it doesn't automatically...it won't clear your SDCard though...

In a nutshell what you'd be doing is to use RSDLite to reprogram your Bionic back to the 5.5.893 OTA, then manually place the .901 OTA on your sdcard and accept it like you would the regular OTAs.

Here's the breakdown of what's needed...
1/ You must have a fully charged battery to ensure you don't run out of power in the middle of the process...

2/ Download RSDLite, Moto drivers, and the .893 FXZ alternative from this thread... http://www.droidforums.net/forum/mo...-5-893-fxz-901-902-compatible-902-update.html

3/ Install RSDLite on your PC, and install the Moto USB driver for your PC, 32 bit or 64 bit based on what your PC is, (if you already have the driver installed then no need)...

4/ Unzip the .893 FXZ somewhere on your PC that you will remember...

5/ Shut off your Bionic and then reboot into Fastboot by pressing Power and 'Down' Volume at the same time (should say Battery OK, OK to Program, Connect USB Data Cable...)

6/ Connect your Bionic to your PC and launch RSDLite....(your Bionic should now say ..Battery OK, OK to Program, Transfer Mode: USB Connected)...

7/ On the RSDLite screen you should see that it says Fastboot ...USB....Connected, from there you use the tab with the three dots that is next to the Start tab and browse to that FXZ folder, to the NEWVRZ_XT875_5.5.893.XT875.Verizon.en.US_CFC_01 xml file in that folder....Press the Start tab/button, it will go thru several steps, let it finish all it's steps until your Bionic reboots to the Welcome Android setup screen...

8/ Re-setup your Bionic like you did when you first got the phone.... You should now be on stock 5.5.893 and it's radios...

9/ From there download this .901 OTA zip and place it loose on your SDCard-Ext ...

10/ Now power off your Bionic, then reboot into stock boot menu by pressing the Power button and both the Up and Down Volume keys all together...

11/ When in that Boot menu, press the Volume down button once to get to Recovery, then press Volume Up, it will then come to a screen with an Android guy with an exclamation point, press both Volumes Up and Down together (not power button this time)

12/ You will then be in Stock Recovery, press Volume down to scroll down to the 'apply update from sdcard', press the power key and it will go to your sdcard-ext menu.... from there scroll down to the update901.zip and press the power key....it will then apply the .901 OTA. Upon reboot you will be on the .901 OTA and it's radios...

Thanks man i appreciate this alot. Im at work but when i get homw this is gonna happen. I guess my only question from here is if and when the Bionic gets ICS can i go to it OTA?

OP
Mbk

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Thanks man i appreciate this alot. Im at work but when i get homw this is gonna happen. I guess my only question from here is if and when the Bionic gets ICS can i go to it OTA?

Actually being on .901 is a valid OTA, so you will get prompts to update to the .902 OTA, which you can decline..... but can accept it to go to .902 prior to if and when ICS OTA does come out, I'm thinking that .901 may even still be able to accept the ICS OTA as well.
Even if the .902 OTA no longer is available, there is an FXZ to get to the .902 OTA, so either way you would be able to accept the ICS OTA

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
Actually being on .901 is a valid OTA, so you will get prompts to update to the .902 OTA, which you can decline..... but can accept it to go to .902 prior to if and when ICS OTA does come out, I'm thinking that .901 may even still be able to accept the ICS OTA as well.
Even if the .902 OTA no longer is available, there is an FXZ to get to the .902 OTA, so either way you would be able to accept the ICS OTA

Sweet thanks man, ill report back how mine goes and how the 901 is working for me when i go to do it. I cant wait cause ive missed it. Thanks again.